My nominations for Canadian Chess Contributors of the Year 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My nominations for Canadian Chess Contributors of the Year 2008

I'm unofficially nominating seven outstanding Canadian chess people as 'Contributors of the Year' for 2008.

1) Bruce Harper, for his mind-boggling efforts with the amazing three-volume Duncan Suttles book project;

2) Eric Hansen, for achieving the best result by any young Canadian since 1986 at the 2008 World Youth Championships;

3) Kelly Wang, for achieving the best result by any young Canadian female since 1986 at the 2008 World Youth Championships;

4) Kevin Spraggett, Canada's most successful player of all time, now age 54, for his several superb tournament performances at the international level;

5) David Cohen, for his efforts leading Canada's small but dedicated community of chess historians, and for overcoming a late start to spearhead the successful fundraising drive which led to Canada being able to send a full contingent to the 2008 Dresden Olympiad, leading to a 28th-place finish by the National team (20 places ahead of its seeding);

6) Brian Lamb, for stepping into a vacuum to organize several good-sized Toronto events, while continuing to sacrifice his own competitive chess possibilities; Brian has IM potential as a player, which he is putting on hold in a tremendous demonstration of unselfishness;

7) Hal Bond, who became the first Canadian to be involved with running a World Championship match, the 2008 Bonn clash between GMs Anand and Kramnik.

I think these seven individuals stood out from the crowd of many other worthy efforts this year. They all deserve our kudos, thanks, and recognition!!
    :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Re: My nominations for Canadian Chess Contributors of the Year 2008

In accordance to the list as above, it would be very helpfull to set up a voting list from 1 to 7 inclusive(with voting possibilities), in order to identify who can achieve a majority of the votes. Are there any other lists of such Chess Contributors?:)
    Last edited by Caesar Posylek; Friday, 12th December, 2008, 08:08 PM.

Comment

I didn't mean this as a poll, but simply a way of recognizing the tremendous contributions these people made to Canadian chess during 2008.

Comment

It would be interesting to see opinions of this forum readers,wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
          It would be interesting to see opinions of this forum readers,wouldn't it?
          Not usually! But, that is just my opinion... ;);)
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
          X