Paul Keres in Canada, 1975

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Keres in Canada, 1975

The CFC Bulletins had two big+plan pictures of P.Keres from his simuls. Though not much information were provided in captions.

Picture #1 was a cover in 1975 May-June issue.

International Grandmaster Paul Keres from the Soviet Union giving a simultaneous exibition. Mr. Keres has just completed a successful tour across Canada...story pg.5.

Where was this simul?

Page 5 featured a short overview, a small picture, and one game Keres - Schwartz (0-1). WTH :D it was the French Winawer :D
    Page 6 had an article by Larry Kirstein (Ottawa) about his encounter (a loss) agains P.Keres. ("I shook the hand of a great Master and gave him my CFC pin and felt good.")

Picture #2 was an illustration to P.K. eulogy by Spassky in 1975 July-August issue, page 30, with the last P.K. game from Vancouver (against W.Browne)

The caption:
    PAUL KERES versus ten of Quebec's best players. (photo: courtesy Sun Life Chess Club) (is it the same Sun Life company as it is now like Sun Life Financial?)

I recognize only two: Paul and soviets white clocks :D

Re: Paul Keres in Canada, 1975

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    The CFC Bulletins had two big+plan pictures of P.Keres from his simuls. Though not much information were provided in captions.

Picture #1 was a cover in 1975 May-June issue.

International Grandmaster Paul Keres from the Soviet Union giving a simultaneous exibition. Mr. Keres has just completed a successful tour across Canada...story pg.5.

Where was this simul?

Page 5 featured a short overview, a small picture, and one game Keres - Schwartz (0-1). WTH :D it was the French Winawer :D
    Page 6 had an article by Larry Kirstein (Ottawa) about his encounter (a loss) agains P.Keres. ("I shook the hand of a great Master and gave him my CFC pin and felt good.")

Picture #2 was an illustration to P.K. eulogy by Spassky in 1975 July-August issue, page 30, with the last P.K. game from Vancouver (against W.Browne)

The caption:
    PAUL KERES versus ten of Quebec's best players. (photo: courtesy Sun Life Chess Club) (is it the same Sun Life company as it is now like Sun Life Financial?)

I recognize only two: Paul and soviets white clocks :D

quebec players look like`
    Jacques Labelle
    Leo Williams
    Gilles Brodeur

Comment

In Vancouver Keres completed two signed scoresheets for each game, each with a carbon copy. He kept one original, gave the other original to the TD, one carbon copy to opponent, and second carbon copy left on the table. I have two Keres carbon copies, one from my own game in round one, and one from the last game against Walter Browne. Keres was also an early chess hero of mine, and I played in a simul when he was in Toronto some years before 75, a draw, never expecting to have the chance of playing him in a real game.
      He arrived in Vancouver before the event and did some training sessions with a small group of players, arranged I expect by John Prentice. Not sure who was involved, but I expect Bruce Harper and Gordon Taylor were as I remember hanging around with both of them.

Comment

Same Sun Life - which moved its head office to Toronto after the PQ election win in 1976.

Re: picture #2: Emil Schlosser appears to be the player on the right of the photo - possibly Leo Williams at the far left of the same table?

Comment

The Paul Keres simul in 1975 took place at the RA centre in Ottawa. The photograph was taken by me and was on the front cover of the CFC magazine which was edited by me when I was CFC business manager. When Paul Keres was in Ottawa he spent a day with the soviet ambassador - a requirement in those days - and then went to Kingston where he stayed with CFC president Kalev Pugi before travelling on to Vancouver for his last tournament.

Les Bunning

Comment

Originally posted by Denis Allan View Post

He arrived in Vancouver before the event and did some training sessions with a small group of players, arranged I expect by John Prentice. Not sure who was involved, but I expect Bruce Harper and Gordon Taylor were as I remember hanging around with both of them.
            I recall that he gave two training sessions to top Vancouver masters at the YMCA. I'm not sure if I was initially invited but Denis had offered to drive Keres from his hotel to the YMCA and then invented a story that I would be a better driver as I knew the downtown streets better. And so it happened that for the first session I got to drive Keres. When he realised how close the site was to the hotel he chose to walk the second day. Anyhow it was a real education. Keres showed us how important every move could be and how you had to be continually looking for resources (I'm strongly reminded of Keres' chapter in "The Art of the Middle Game" on How to Defend Difficult Positions). One thing he liked to say when confronted with a bad position was "No pleasure." He would say it in a slow drawn out way that conveyed quite a lot. I can't remember everyone who attended. Certainly Denis and myself, probably Macskasy and Harper, there must have been others. Peter Biyiasas showed up at the 2nd session and he and Keres got into a long discussion over a Q + P versus Q ending that just about everyone else found tedious. And it was certainly a great shock to learn he was dead just a few days later.

Comment

Thnx for memories.

Originally posted by Gordon Taylor View Post
              And it was certainly a great shock to learn he was dead just a few days later.
              Does it mean that the session was after the Vancouver Open?

This picture is claimed to be from Vancouver 1975

W.Brown vs Keres

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Does it mean that the session was after the Vancouver Open?
                Honestly I can't remember if the training sessions were before or after the 1975 Vancouver International which Keres won so convincingly. And since I cannot, "few" seemed like the best word. The photo does look like Browne - Keres from the last round. Keres beat Browne from the black side of a Ruy Lopez as I recall. Browne played "va banque", but he had little to lose given the standings and much to gain had he won.

Comment

Working...
                X