The Luzhin Defence film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Luzhin Defence film

I came across this English/French movie that focuses on a fictitious chess character who aspired to become World Champion in 1920's. It is the only non-documentary film that I know of in which the main character is a chess player. The ending (of the film) is somehow unexpected. I find the film interesting but the character of Luzhin too extreme...well, Ivanchuck was not yet born at that time :-) The film can be found on Amazon and may provide some advice for guys who want to improve their chess level to over 2300 CFC :)

Re: The Luzhin Defence film

Originally posted by Laurentiu Grigorescu View Post
    I came across this English/French movie that focuses on a fictitious chess character who aspired to become World Champion in 1920's. It is the only non-documentary film that I know of in which the main character is a chess player. The ending (of the film) is somehow unexpected. I find the film interesting but the character of Luzhin too extreme...well, Ivanchuck was not yet born at that time :-) The film can be found on Amazon and may provide some advice for guys who want to improve their chess level to over 2300 CFC :)
    It based on a novel by Vladimir Nabokov called the Defense and is apparently based in part on someone who Nabokov knew. I found the movie more difficult to watch than the book was to read.
    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Thursday, 25th April, 2013, 02:14 PM.

Comment

The player in question was Curt von Bardeleben, only known these days for his loss to Steinitz at Hastings 1895. In 1924 he jumped out of a window (defenestration is apparently a favoured means for chess players to commit suicide).

Comment

Thanks for that Stephen - I didn't know it was von Bardeleben! Apparently the final sequence of moves was composed or at least affected by Jonathan Speelman.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentiu Grigorescu View Post
          It is the only non-documentary film that I know of in which the main character is a chess player.
          Three more movies:
          "White snow of Russia" a movie about Alekhine.
          "Grandmaster" (1973). several episodes with real grandmasters Tal, Korchnoi etc. Only chess excerpts at http://youtu.be/MsD6HJP30CQ
          "Joueuse" or [en] "Queen to Play" (2009) with a WOMEN who is obsessed about chess.

Comment

I came across this utube video which you guys might find enjoyable. It shows the actual ending combination of the last game in the movie. The guy in the video goes through the moves and the solution is a fairly artistic finish. Dont watch the video if you are going to watch the movie and dont want to see the ending sequence of the final game. I dont think they zoom in on the board that well at the end of the movie so you dont really get a good look at the moves that was played by Luzhins girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSpBtSye9io

Comment

I was not aware of the movie about Alekhine, even if the movie was made as far back as1980. Seems that it is on YouTube, in Russian. I am going to watch it this weekend - thank you for the tip. And it comes at a good time, as Memorial Alekhine is under way.

Comment

I quite enjoyed "Joueuse", even though I had to follow the subtitles (my French is terrible). The movie portrayed the game well without any obvious flubs. Kevin Kline acts in it.

Comment

Joueuse-French language(no subtitles)

http://canadachessnews.blogspot.hu/

Nice movie
                  I found it on youtube but without subtitles.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                    It based on a novel by Vladimir Nabokov called the Defense and is apparently based in part on someone who Nabokov knew. I found the movie more difficult to watch than the book was to read.
                    A small correction: the title of the Russian original was Защита Лужина (The Luzhin Defence). When an English translation appeared the title was shortened to The Defense.

Comment

John Turturro gave an amazing performance as Luzhin. At one point when my wife and I were watching the film she turned to me and said, "I know that look."

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        Three more movies:
                        "White snow of Russia" a movie about Alekhine.
                        "Grandmaster" (1973). several episodes with real grandmasters Tal, Korchnoi etc. Only chess excerpts at http://youtu.be/MsD6HJP30CQ
                        "Joueuse" or [en] "Queen to Play" (2009) with a WOMEN who is obsessed about chess.
                        Don't forget the 1984 French film La diagonals du fou. The English version was entitled Dangerous Moves. It is loosely based on the first great K-K rivalry.

Comment

The penultimate paragraph of John Colapinto's 'Nabokov and the Movies' is somewhat dismissive of 'The Luzhin Defence'. I will note, however, that IMDb viewers (3,614) give the film a 7.0/10 rating (:

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-...cid=mod-latest

Comment

Re : The Luzhin Defence film

"It is the only non-documentary film that I know of in which the main character is a chess player. "

Here's another >>>>> 'Return from the Ashes' - with Maximillian Schell >>>>>>

http://viralvideos.mobi/video/NdMFKi...-16-1965-.html

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                              La joueuse is a superb movie, highly recommended. They even get the chess moves right!

Comment

Working...
                              X