2009 Canadian Junior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Canadian Junior

The Calgary Junior Chess Club has won their bid to host the 2009 Canadian Junior. Full details will be available within the next 48 hours, but here are some details...

Chief Organizer: Simon Ong
    TD: Tony Ficzere
    Site: Calgary Chess Club
    Date: February 13-16, 2009
    Rounds: 7 round swiss
    CFC & FIDE rated
    Time Control: 40/90, then game in 30, with 30 second increment from move 1
    Prizes: Up to $2,000 expense money towards the 2009 World Junior Championship to be held in Argentina this coming October.

Re: 2009 Canadian Junior

Is it really acceptable for a national event like this to be announced 6 weeks before it happens? There should be some deadlines for events like this to be bid on. I would really of liked to play the Canadian Junior, as it is my chance to play in the World Junior which is still very prestigous. Like many of the previous Canadian Junior's, this one is announced very close to the starting date. I don't recall the Chess n math or CYCC nationals being announced less than 6 months ahead of time. I have already booked Aeroflot in Russia, and this conflicts. It really bugs me that in order to play in the Canadian Junior I have to hold up on all my other tournament interests until this event( which is not even strong) is announced. Past years I may have played but the disorganization of the event prevented me. I guess I'll have to ask the tournament directors in Argentina for an exception to play, but at least I'll be able to show them how badly the Canadian qualifier for their event is being run. This is probably the biggest joke for a national event in Canada.

Comment

I have been checking for the details 48 hours after the above thread was posted. Did I miss it somewhere? I planned to sponsor some players. I will try even though I think that may be too late. Please let me know where to find the details.
      Corinna

Comment

Originally posted by Corinna Wan View Post
        I have been checking for the details 48 hours after the above thread was posted. Did I miss it somewhere? I planned to sponsor some players. I will try even though I think that may be too late. Please let me know where to find the details.
        Corinna
        Hi Corinna,

There has been no news as the organizers are considering moving the date from February to some time in the summer. They say they will let me know by this Sunday at which time I will post their date change, if any.

Comment

Hi Tony:

In my January 15 Issue of the Scarborough Community of Toronto Chess News & Views, I had the following notice of this tournament:

2009 Canadian Junior Championship Rescheduled ?

The details of this tournament, previously advertised, below, may be cancelled. Tony Ficzere posted that new information may be posted shortly on the Can. Chess websites ( it might be moved to Summer ). Watch the CFC “ tournaments “ section for current information.

Chief Organizer: Simon Ong ( Calgary Junior CC )
          TD: Tony Ficzere
          Site: Calgary Chess Club
          Date: February 13-16, 2009
          Rounds: 7 round swiss
          CFC & FIDE rated
          Time Control: 40/90, then game in 30, with 30 second increment from move 1
          Prizes: Up to $2,000 expense money towards the 2009 World Junior Championship to be held in Argentina this coming October.

Is there any further news on this, so I can update my notice for the coming February 1 Issue?

Bob

Comment

The short story is this. The organizers (Calgary Junior Chess Club) wanted to change the dates on their bid. Their original date for the event was this February which they quickly realized would not accomodate too many juniors outside of Alberta (and even within). So, a poor choice of dates to an otherwise good bid. When they asked for a new date in July/August, their old bid was thrown out, and a new bid was submitted. This also opened the door for another organizer to submit a bid.

Now there are 2 bids for this tournament and the governors will have to vote on which one they like. I don't know when the governors will receive the bids and vote.

Comment

Hi Tony:

Thanks. Best thing to do is just pull the whole ad then, from the next Issue of the newsletter.

Bob

Comment

Yes indeed.

Thanks Bob

Comment

Working...
                X