Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Great chess quotes

Great Chess Quotes

I am glad to acknowledge your authorship, Dan.

I thought it was a very clever and funny list but, to me, the USCF lawsuit /(ICC controversy) was an obscure reference. I didn’t realize it was written in 1995. A lot of things change in twenty years but the “transmitter” reference is surprisingly up-to-date.

Kudos.
    Last edited by Wayne Komer; Sunday, 12th April, 2015, 12:29 PM.

Comment

It's impossible to speak about the meaning of life ... they simply don't understand."

Here's an interesting quote by a chess player but not directly about chess:

Originally posted by GM Murtas Kazhgaleyev
      The Australians are straightforward and simple. They can be nice to talk to, but speak strongly about things - said Alex, a 45-year-old Muscovite, with twenty years of Australian experience.

I was familiar with this problem of Russian intellectuals abroad - the Western world presents a simplified model of man. It is impossible to speak about the meaning of life, physics, or jazz with an ordinary representative of the Anglo-Saxon world – they simply don’t understand.
      source: Diary of an Open (not for those <18)
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
        Great Chess Quotes

Tweeted by GM Jan Gustafsson after GM Wesley So was forfeited in Round Nine of the U.S. Championship 2015 for writing notes during a game:

Note to self: Don't write notes to self during a chess game.
        LMAO - great one.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

Fair & Square is an occasional page of chess quotes, which appears in New In Chess magazine.

Two quotes on chess and marriage from the 08/2014 issue:

Jerry Seinfeld: “Marriage is like a game of chess except the board is flowing water, the pieces are made of smoke and no move you make will have any effect on the outcome.”

Henri Grob: “Almost always.”

[When asked if he was married. Apart from being the eponymous inventor of 1.g4, Grob was married nine times.]

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
            Great Chess Quotes

A listing on eBay on April 6, 2015:

Cyrillic Chess Book – Presumably Rare
            $30

Fortunately, a little investigation of the photo reveals the book to be

Shakhmaty ėnt͡siklopedicheskiĭ slovarʹ
            Karpov, Anatoly and Averbakh, Yuri
            Moskva: Sov. Entsiklopediia, 1990, 621 pp.

An encyclopedic dictionary of chess; a handsome volume and well worth the $30 + shipping.
            I inherited Nathan Divinsky's copy of this book and donated it to the Chigorin Chess Club in Vancouver BC. Before handing it off I took careful notes of the correct pronunciation of Soviet GM and IM surnames. Some of them were surprising, for example, Chekho-VAIR for Chekhover and Al-AT-ortsev for Alatortsev. Live, read, and learn.

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

Chess and Soccer

April 21, 2015

In Round Five of the Gashimov Memorial 2015, Vishy Anand beat Wesley So in what is being called “the f4 sac game”.

After, when the players were asked the inevitable question about playing football on the rest day, Vishy’s response was “Two words: Peter Svidler”.

Chess24.com says that the reference, in case you missed it, was this tweet from Peter’s wife:

Olga Svidler – Dear chess friends! After the recent disaster that is my husband breaking his arm in several places, I sincerely ask all of you to never invite GM Peter Svidler to a game of soccer under any circumstances. Thank you very much.

5:00 PM – 20 Mar 2015

The recovering Peter tweeted today:

At least I provide cautionary tales for the very best RT. “Are you playing football tomorrow?” Anand: “Two words: Peter Svidler.”

(I believe RT is the global Russian 24/7 English-language news channel, rivaling CNN)

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

(continuation of last post):

Peter Svidler’s broken arm can be seen in the photo at:

http://www.chess.com/news/carlsen-be...n-shamkir-1512

and scroll down. It appears to be a full cast on the right arm extending above the bicep.

For those who worry about the dangers of playing chess, there is another example – Nigel Short and the dog at:

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...rous#post65879

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

The last game to finish, in the final round of the Gashimov Memorial 2015, was Giri-Kramnik. It ran six hours long. When the press conference came up, only Vladimir Kramnik was there. He had been criticized after an earlier loss for not attending the PC.

So, dutifully, he started to explain how he was more or less better throughout the game. Then suddenly Giri appeared. He had thought that everyone would be getting ready for the Prize Giving. His first words to Kramnik,

“I just didn’t realize that after such a long game you are still alive..”

and they settled in to a joyful long analysis of the ending while the organizers wrung their hands in frustration. Finally, the players made it to stage and the awards were given.

Later Giri tweeted this:

Had a poor tournament, but I will nevertheless be remembered here AsTheGuyWhoDelayedTheClosing

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

In the second day of the Kasparov-Short Match 2015, there was an exciting end to the rapid game because of the time scramble.

When it was over we got a classic Maurice Ashleyism:

This is what we paid to see…and we didn’t have to pay to see it!

With Maurice Ashley one is reminded of Yogi Berra quotes like "You should always go to other people's funerals; otherwise, they won't come to yours " and "Slump? I ain't in no slump. I just ain't hitting."

Comment

• Re: Great chess quotes

Great Chess Quotes

While Nigel Short was being mauled by Garry Kasparov in their 2015 Match, his supposed comments on women playing chess differently instigated not a few Internet jokes.

This tweet from Jonathan Tisdall:

Plot twist: Kasparov suddenly peels back his rubbery face to reveal..Judit Polgar.

26 April, 2015

Comment

One of my favourite quotes is thou I believe is some famous commander but could be applied to chess is!

Don’t interrupt your opponent when s(he) is making a mistake!

Comment

Chessgames.com has some good quotes in their quote of the day. Not all of them but a lot of them make me grin.

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

An Indian amateur at the Dr. Hedgewar Open in New Delhi (2015) was caught cheating by receiving signals from two cell phones strapped to his ankles.

American GM Ben Finegold wasn’t at all perturbed, saying, “I don't see what the guy did wrong. He was simply trying to get a *leg up* on the competition.”

Comment

"If you want to destroy a man, teach him how to play chess " Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

There was a blitz tournament in Samara, Russia dedicated to the birthday of FIDE President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov on April 5, 2015.

“The winner of the tournament, David Shapiro, was awarded a prize – a big jar of honey.”

If the curious reader goes to

http://samara-chess.ru/index.php?go=...n=view&id=1388

he will see three different photos of the big jar of honey with a bow of red ribbon.
                                ________

I think this speaks volumes about the humbleness of the man, who can get millions of dollars for FIDE and professional chess players and yet, commemorates the occasion of his 53rd birthday with a simple pot of honey.

Comment

Working...
                                X