Great chess quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great chess quotes

I thought I 'd start a thread on great chess quotes. The more recent the better, perhaps, as many players have already read or heard the old ones.

Among the older ones, perhaps my favorite is the one I use as a signature and which Monroi placed on their web page after I sent it to them. (see below) Anyway, here's a start. Sound familiar?

Do not try and learn every opening, for that is impossible. Instead, only try and realize the truth: there are no openings, only pawn structures."

IM Daniel Rensch
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Re: Great chess quotes

A few minor corrections were made in some text passages to improve clarity.

Burt Hochberg, September 2002
    tencharacters
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

I have had to work long and hard to eradicate the dangerous delusion that, in a bad position, I could always, or nearly always, conjure up some unexpected combination to extricate me from my difficulties.
      Alexander Alekhine

Comment

To get squares, you gotta give squares. (Bobby Fischer)

Comment

"After an unhappy love affair, the solution is to change women. But there is only one chess, which I no longer care for, so my problem has no solution." Vassily Ivanchuk , 2 days ago. lol

Comment

Nigel Short is a very quotable player and here is a great quote from an NIC article on the Commonwealth Championship in Mumbai in 2004 in which he wrote:

We have sunk to the current deplorable state of affairs because of the introduction of the new FIDE time control – the greatest act of desecration since the torching of the Summer Palace in Peking by the British in 1860.

+++++++++
            Chess Banter has these clarifications about that:

Tragic. This stupid Kirsan 90+30 time control ruins chess.

On a historical note, in 1860 British and French forces sacked the Summer Palace (which was later reconstructed at great cost to the Chinese) and the Old Summer Palace (which was completely destroyed and never reconstructed). The Summer Palace is a World Heritage Site.

http://www.chessbanter.com/rec-games...ked-out-3.html

Comment

Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy. (Dr. Siegbert Tarrasch)

Comment

At the end of the game, the king and pawn go back in the same box. - Italian proverb

Comment

"It’s very important not to put pressure on a child. Make sure that she/he feels that whatever happens it’s not the end of the world. If they cry after a loss that’s normal ... If they win a game you should make them feel very proud but make sure they know the next game will be another challenge." - Judit Polgar

... I have a few more that you can see at www./facebook.com/chessquotes

Comment

"If you can play chess, (then) you have a friend anywhere in the world."

quoted in TCN, vol 1 no 12 by Maurice Smith.
                    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Derek Odom View Post
                      I have had to work long and hard to eradicate the dangerous delusion that, in a bad position, I could always, or nearly always, conjure up some unexpected combination to extricate me from my difficulties.
                      Alexander Alekhine
                      This is not an accurate rendering of what Alekhine wrote. Here is the actual quote, from the magazine Chess, August 1937:

"It is possible that this game [Alekhine-Rosanov, Moscow 1907] exerted a profound effect on my subsequent play and development. Certainly it stimulated my ambition and my desire to improve. On the other hand it endowed me with a curious psychological weakness which I had to work hard and long subsequently to eradicate -- if I ever have eradicated it! -- the impression that I could always, or nearly always, when in a bad position, conjure up some unexpected combination to extricate me from my difficulties. A dangerous delusion."

There are so many inaccurate, misleading, and downright false quotations floating around in cyberspace that I fear the damage can never be repaired. In my opinion the only remedy is to rely upon original sources.

Comment

After having played Spassky in the fifth round of the 1971 Canadian Open, at the post mortem, I remarked to the World Champion, "During the game, your eyes were red like a rabbit's and now five minutes later they are white again - how come?"
                        Said Boris >>>> "Enrico Caruso was a great tenor - he sang beautifully, effortlessly but in between performances he always had to change his shirt!"

Comment

From the article 31 Great Chess Quotes from Garry Kasparov by Yury Markushin in The Chess World

http://thechessworld.com/learn-chess...y-kasparov-new

28 Dec. 2013

When your house is on fire, you can’t be bothered with the neighbors. Or, as we say in chess, if your King is under attack, don't worry about losing a pawn on the queenside.

In general there is something puzzling about the fact that the most renowned figures in chess - Morphy, Pillsbury, Capablanca and Fischer - were born in America.

The highest art of the chess player lies in not allowing your opponent to show you what he can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                            I thought I 'd start a thread on great chess quotes. The more recent the better, perhaps, as many players have already read or heard the old ones.

Among the older ones, perhaps my favorite is the one I use as a signature and which Monroi placed on their web page after I sent it to them. (see below) Anyway, here's a start. Sound familiar?
                            Duncan Suttles - Black pawns move faster than white pawns

Comment

'Haaaa... crap, I didn't see that'

-me, in most of my games.

Comment

Working...
                              X