Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Autographs

There have been two recent auctions of documents with chess autographs:

- The online description - A postcard from the Candidates Tournament Bled/Zagreb 1959 with the signatures of all eight players. On the front are caricatures of the players and on the back the signatures of Paul Keres, Mikhail Tal, Tigran Petrosian, Vasily Smyslov, Pal Benko, Svetozar Gligorich, Helgi Olafsson and Bobby Fischer.

The card was sent on 23.10.1959 from an unknown professor in Belgrade to the Wagner family in Graz, Austria.

One thing that puzzles me is that Olafsson’s first name is Fridrik. A Helgi Olafsson does exist – he is an Icelandic grandmaster, born in 1956. A typo by the seller?

The auction closed July 22, 2013 on eBay.de There were 27 bids and the winner got the item for 602.8 euros which is $820 CND.

- The online description - CAMBRIDGE SPRINGS 1904, Sheet with this inscription by Emanuel Lasker: "To the niece of the nicest lady in the world, 29th April 1904" with these autographs: Emanuel Lasker, H. N. Pillsbury, J. Mieses, Georg Marco, M Tschigorin, Carl Schlechter, D. Janowsky, Jackson W. Showalter, R. Teichmann, F. J. Marshall. It appears that this part of the page, possibly with the signatures of the rest of the players such as Barry, Napier, etc. has been torn off. This item was included in the Lawson Collection. It very likely was bought from Dr. Buschke by Lawson.

This was sold at a dealer’s auction on July 24, 2013 for $2500 US.

You’ll recall that Dr. Albrecht Buschke (1904 – 1986) was, for a forty-year period, the leading chess book dealer in the United States.

David Lawson (1886-1980) wrote “Paul Morphy: The Pride and Sorrow of Chess”. Lawson was nearly 90 years old when the book was released in 1976. A paperback edition is still in print and available.

A nice bit of chess history on two pieces of paper.

Re: Chess Autographs

Born 1935; GM title in 1958.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fri%C3%B0rik_%C3%93lafsson

Comment

These pictures were posted long time ago.

Marshall

Alekhine

I think they were from the Toronto Chess Club notebook. Erik M. might confirm/deny.

If the originals exist today how much they would be worth? :)

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        Fridrik has been made the 6th 'Honorary Citizen of Reykjavik'.

http://icelandreview.com/news/2015/0...izen-reykjavik

Comment

I have a vinyl chess board that has been signed by all 34 participants of the 2013 US Chess Championships. I won it as part of a competition the St Louis club was having to pick the best roster of chess players. Does something like that have much value? If it's marginal I may just donate it as a prize for a tournament or something as I don't have a lot of interest in it personally, though if I can make a bit of money maybe I would sell it. I don't know much about this particular type of collectible.

Comment

Chess Autographs

November 15, 2015

There are autographs and there are stamped autographs, evidently.

On eBay, the following is offered for auction, starting price $1000 by David DeLucia, today’s premier chessbook collector:

My 60 Memorable Games by Bobby Fischer. Simon & Schuster, 1969. First edition with first edition dust jacket. Bobby’s personal copy as he stamped his name, Bobby Fischer, on page 43. Later in life, Bobby Fischer seldom signed his name to books as he didn't want people to make money off of his signature. So he had a stamp made with his signature and he would stamp his name on either page 39 (the month and day he was born) or on page 43 (the year he was born). When I purchased the books from his estate in 2008 almost all his books were stamped with his name on one of these two pages. A great association item.

Comment

Re: Chess Autographs and honouring our heroes. Whoever they are.

OK, this isn't world champion calibre, but back in the day, in Manitoba, friends and I used to collect back issues of Exclam! and get the autograph of whoever was on the title page. My friend Roy Proulx has a copy of the issue with kind-hearted Master Barry Rasmussen, autographed.

Barry died of a heart attack playing ice hockey with the kids. What a Canadian way to go. Anyway, the point is that we all have our heroes. Barry is definitely one of mine. His humble, helpful, kind-hearted attitude just shamed me to be the same. I doubt I live up to that. But I try.
              Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

I have a signed score sheet from Maya Chiburdanidze when she was a world Champ from a simul in Belgrade back in the 1980s . We drew !

Comment

Chess Autographs

November 20, 2015

For the next week, there are two items up for auction on eBay.

They are autographed signed letters from Emanuel Lasker.

1) 28.9.21 two pages in German

2) 16 May 1924 one page to Norbert Lederer, the Secretary of the Manhattan Chess Club, written from the Alamac Hotel. This was just one month after the end of the New York 1924 tournament that Lasker won and received $1500 for first prize in that hotel.

The starting bid for Item 1 is $2500 and, oddly enough, the bid for Item 2 is $1500.

This is an opportunity to see a sample of Lasker’s very clear handwriting and a piece of chess history.

Comment

Chess Autographs

December 1, 2015

The eBay auctions with autographed letters have finished with these results:

1) One-page autographed letter M. Chigorin – one bid and sold for US $9,500

2) One-page autographed letter H. Staunton – one bid and sold for US $2500

3) Two-page autographed letter E. Lasker – three bids and sold for US $2750

4) One-page autographed letter E. Lasker – thirteen bids and sold for US $2000. Ten of the bids were from one prospective buyer who increased his bids by $50 each time to see what the ceiling was. The winner saw that this was a timorous bidder and topped him at the end.

Comment

Working...
                    X