University of Western Ontario are Canadian champions!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Western Ontario are Canadian champions!!!!

Congratulations to the team from the University of Western Ontario, which captured the 2009 Canadian Post-Secondary Team Championship, hosted in Kingston by Queen's University this weekend!!

Western, the top seed, scored 4.5/5 match points, defeating in head-to-head encounters Toronto (#3 seed), Waterloo (#4), Guelph (#5), and Carleton (#6). Only in the last round did they allow a drawn match with #2 seed Dalhousie, after they had already clinched at least a tie for first going into the round. Western wins the Queen's Cup for Chess, donated by the Queen's University Chess Club for annual national competition at this level.

Western's team is (from boards one to four): FM Raja Panjwani, FM Jonathan Tayar, Sean Rachar, and Irakli Vadachkoriya.

There was a five-way tie for second place, among Dalhousie, Toronto, Waterloo, Guelph, and Queen's. Guelph had the most game points, so is placed second on tiebreak.

Board prizes in the top section were won by:
    1: FM Christian Stevens (Guelph), 4.5/5
    2: FM Jonathan Tayar (Western), 5/5
    3: Alex Ferreira (Toronto), 4.5/5
    4: Irakli Vadachkoriya (Western), 4/5.

The Group B tournament was won by University of Toronto C, with a perfect 5/5 match points. McMaster placed second on tiebreak over Western B, both with 3.5/5.

Thanks to everyone who braved the nasty midwinter weather to make the trip to Kingston. And especial thanks to IA / IO Hal Bond, Chief Arbiter, and Head Organizer Tyler Longo, President of the Queen's Chess Club. The event ran very smoothly with no disputes, and the players displayed outstanding sportsmanship. Feedback from players showed they were happy with the event.

Next year's championship will be hosted in January, 2010 by the University of Toronto, Hart House Chess Club. This is a strong organizational group, and everyone is confident they will do a great job to raise the profile of the championship, and hopefully increase attendance.

I will have more detailed results in the days ahead, including team crosstables, on this site. And more games will be sent to chess5.com soon.

Cheers,
    Frank Dixon
    Deputy Arbiter and Organizer, 2009 CPSCC
    :) :) :) :)

Re: University of Western Ontario are Canadian champions!!!!

I was working on posting a complete team crosstable set for this event, and had it entered on my screen when logged on to chesstalk, but it unfortunately got munched by the cybergremlins before it could actually be posted. Happens sometimes. (: (: (:

I will get back to that tomorrow.

I have posted some additional games from the event on chess5.com, and there are now almost 20 games there. Enjoy!! Several other important games which I want to put up have had scoresheet problems which I haven't yet been able to resolve. The games Gottlieb vs Derraugh, Cheng vs Panjwani, Tayar vs Derraugh, and Morrison vs Panjwani fall into this category. Also, Kyle Morrison has promised to send me his game with FM Christian Stevens, so that will go up eventually. I'm focusing on games between stronger players, games with high competitive significance, unusual openings, and upsets.

Comment

In Cheng-Panjwani 21.Qf3 is given (hanging b2) but Black played 21..Qf6? instead allowing 22.Qc6+ Kf8 23.Ne4! with advantage, but White missed it?
      I'm inclined to guess that 21.Qf2 was the actual move played.

Comment

Well done Frank! Thanks for inviting me.

Tyler - you are an awesome contributor. I almost forgot how cold the room was!

The event was most enjoyable. The Guelph team played over their heads - especially Mike von Keitz and Kevin Fernandez. I ended up rooming with the them and I can confirm that they have a reasonable grasp for party fundamentals.

It was important to cling to these fond memories during the hellish snow storm that guided us home.

Comment

Re: Simply awesome event

Hello,

I'd like to thank everyone at Queens who organized this year's Canadian Post-Secondary Chess Championship. The hard work of Tyler Longo and Frank Dixon was evident. Tyler had the double responsibility of head organizer, while also representing QueensU on Board 1, and fought hard every game against all comers. Personally I found that quite impressive. Frank tirelessly collected games and posted as much information online, while aiding Hal Bond whenever necessary. There's of course no need to say that, a tournament with Hal Bond as arbiter is a tournament of the highest professionalism which runs without any problems.

Onto chess: There were 17 teams representing 10 schools, split into two sections. On the top section, we were all clearly outclassed by Western University, who took 2 board prizes and finished 1.5 match points ahead of everyone else ! A good collective effort by them without there ever being any doubt that they'd win the event. In the U1750 section, UToronto C cruised to victory while taking 3 board prizes.
          Many top games can be found at www.chess5.com, courtesy of Frank Dixon.

On University of Toronto, I felt that all our 12 players fought hard, even if we didn't always get the results. All teams proved very competitive throughout. Absolutely no regrets or any negative feelings by placing somewhere 4th or 5th on the list, even if our seeding would expect us to finish higher. We all prepared and fought hard, individually and collectively, but were not always able to get the best results. I picked up board 3 prize but not without a lot of luck in several games.
          Our B team were one of the little fish in that section, but held their heads high, and our board 1 Rob Roller proved to be a match to all his opponents who outranked him by 200-500 points. Also a notable performance by Siang Khor, our unrated board 4 B, who only lost one game and is likely to have a 1700 or 1800 rating after this event.
          Without sparing any modesty, our C team simply outclassed the rest of the field without a sweat. Board 1 strongman Bill Kim, finished with an impressive 5/5 while only being in trouble once against Queens B's John Mangold, in an endgame blitz struggle where both players were playing on the increment. Stuart Brammall contributed 3.5/5 and Kevin Chen 4/5, with Benjamin Davidson also sweeping 5/5 on board 4. Bill, Kevin and Ben all took board prizes.

Next year's event will be held at University of Toronto, organized by the Hart House Chess Club. One additional thing Queens University did well this year was changing the name of the competition, from CU(niversity)CC to Canadian Post-Secondary Chess Championship. It's only logical to include Colleges in such event, and hopefully participation will increase in years to come. It was also important, at the captains' meeting moderated by Tyler and guided by Frank, also with Hal's input, to focus on ideas to increase participation from schools from outside Ontario and Quebec, while sharing ideas, difficulties and solutions we all came across individually when preparing for this year's event, from every front.

Lastly, the atmosphere at this year's tournament was one of my best, and definitely to remember. As said in the post above, all players were great sportsmen and there were no incidents. Everyone was competitive and friendly, willing to analyze games with anyone of any team or level. Apart from Queens, all other teams stayed in the same hotel, and nights were a chess party. Particularly on Saturday night, a group of about 15 of us, from Universities of Toronto and Waterloo, just got together in a hotel room and bonded socially while playing and analyzing games, many of us staying up well past 4am. The Cafe beside the playing hall made a killing on coffee alone on Sunday morning.

One of my most enjoyable overall chess experiences,

Alex Ferreira

Comment

I definitely ditto most of Alex's comments... the most fun I've had at a chess tourney in a while.

No complaints about how it was run, except of course the temperature, but 3 layers, a scarf, and an occasional hat did the trick.
            Frank - Here's the two games you wanted... vs. Gottlieb and Tayar.

[Event "CPSCC"]
            [Date "2009.01.18"]
            [Round "4"]
            [White "Tayar, Jonathan"]
            [Black "Derraugh, Geordie"]
            [Result "1-0"]
            [ECO "C28"]
            [WhiteElo "2363"]
            [BlackElo "2090"]

1. e4 e5 2. Bc4 Nc6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. d3 Bc5 5. Bg5 h6 6. Bh4 Be7 7. Bxf6 Bxf6 8. Nge2 d6 9. Ng3 g6 10. a3 O-O 11. Nd5 Bg7 12. Ne3 Ne7 13. h4 c6 14. h5 g5 15. Qf3 Be6 16. O-O Qd7 17. Rfd1 d5 18. Bb3 f5 19. exf5 Nxf5 20. Nexf5 Bxf5 21. Qe3 Be6 22. c4 b6 23. cxd5 cxd5 24. Rac1 Kh8 25. Qe2 Rf7 26. Rd2 Raf8 27. Qe1 Re7 28. Ba2 Qe8 29. Rdc2 Qf7 30. Rc6 Rd8 31. Qe2 Rde8 32. Rd6 Qf4 33. Rdc6 Bf7 34. Qe3 Qg4 35. Qf3 Qxf3 36. gxf3 d4 37. Bxf7 Rxf7 38. Rc7 Ref8 39. Rxf7 Rxf7 40. Rc8+ Kh7 41. Kg2 Bf8 42. Ne4 Bg7 43. Nd6 Rd7 44. Nc4 Re7 45. a4 Bh8 46. Nd6 Rd7 47. Nc4 Re7 48. b4 Bg7 49. b5 Bh8 50. Na3 Rg7 51. Kg3 Re7 52. Nc2 a6 53. bxa6 Ra7 54. Nb4 Bf6 55. Rb8 Bg7 56. Rb7 Ra8 57. a7 e4 58. fxe4 g4 59. Kxg4 Rg8 60. Rb8 Bf8+ 61. Kf3 Rg7 62. a8=Q Rf7+ 63. Ke2 Bxb4 64. Qc6 Rg7 65. Qc8 1-0

[Event "CPSCC"]
            [Date "2009.01.17"]
            [Round "3"]
            [White "Gottlieb, Jonathan"]
            [Black "Derraugh, Geordie"]
            [Result "1-0"]
            [ECO "C54"]
            [WhiteElo "2154"]
            [BlackElo "2090"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. c3 Nf6 5. d4 exd4 6. cxd4 Bb4+ 7. Bd2 Nxe4 8. Bxb4 Nxb4 9. Bxf7+ Kxf7 10. Qb3+ Kf8 11. Qxb4+ Qe7 12. Qxe7+ Kxe7 13. O-O Re8 14. Re1 Kf8 15. Na3 c6 16. d5 Nf6 17. Rxe8+ Nxe8 18. Re1 d6 19. dxc6 bxc6 20. Nd4 Bd7 21. b3 Rb8 22. Kf1 a5 23. Re3 a4 24. Ke2 axb3 25. axb3 d5 26. Rc3 Nf6 27. f3 Rc8 28. b4 Ke7 29. Nac2 Kd6 30. Rc5 Rb8 31. Ra5 g5 32. Kd2 g4 33. Ra6 gxf3 34. gxf3 Ne8 35. Kc3 Nc7 36. Ra7 Rf8 37. Kd3 Rg8 38. Ne3 Rg5 39. Ra2 Ne8 40. Ra6 Nc7 41. Ra2 Rg1 42. Rf2 Ne8 43. Rd2 Ng7 44. Ra2 Nh5 45. Ra6 Nf4+ 46. Kc3 Kc7 47. Ra7+ Kc8 48. Ra8+ Kc7 49. Rf8 Ne6 50. Rf7 Nxd4 51. Kxd4 Rb1 52. Rxh7 Rxb4+ 53. Ke5 Rb3 54. Kf4 Kd6 55. h4 Rb4+ 56. Kg5 d4 57. Nf1 Rb1 58. Nd2 Rg1+ 59. Kf4 Be6 60. Ne4+ Kd5 61. Rh5+ Kc4 62. Rc5+ Kd3 63. Rxc6 Bd5 64. Nf2+ Ke2 65. Rc2+ Kf1 66. Nd3 Rg8 67. h5 Rf8+ 68. Ke5 Rxf3 69. Rc1+ Ke2 70. Nf4+ Rxf4 71. Kxf4 d3 72. h6 d2 73. Rg1 Bg8 74. Rg2+ Ke175. Rxg8 d1=Q 76. Rg1+ 1-0

Hehe, Alex, "just got together in a hotel room and bonded socially...staying up well past 4am"
            :D ... that's my excuse for not beating Tayar haha

Thanks again for an awesome tournament.
            Geordie

Comment

University Championship: reply to query and feedback

Note to IM Lawrence Day: Lawrence, you are correct in your post. In the game Cheng vs Panjwani, U of T vs Western, board one, round four, I copied the scoresheet correctly in the hall, but then incorrectly entered the move you cite onto chess5.com. It has since been corrected at chess5.com. Thanks very much for pointing this out. This was a vital game between two of Canada's top young players, had major competitive significance, and may have some theoretical value as well.

Notes to Geordie Derraugh, Hal Bond, and Alex Ferreira:
              1) to Geordie: thanks very much for the games which you posted here; they have since been corrected and entered at chess5.com. And thanks for the kind words about the tournament!
              2) to Hal: it was a pleasure and an honour to work with Hal at this event. I put much of the success directly to his efforts. Hal anticipated several problems before they actually arose, so that solutions were readily available, and he reacted smoothly to forestall other issues from becoming distractions. His combination of experience, enthusiasm, energy, knowledge, and people skills is truly impressive. I learned a lot, and look forward to the next time I can work with Hal to run an event.
              3) to Alex: I'm glad to hear that the off-board chess aspects were such a success!! We wanted the tournament hotel to be in downtown Kingston, where there are many pubs close by. And the 11 a.m. start to day two was intended to allow for socializing between the teams and players, so that worked as well! Thanks for the positive feedback, and best wishes for U of T's efforts next year. I'll be in touch with some specific recommendations, and also to point out some things we could have done a bit better than we did.

After getting caught up on some sleep, I'll be posting more here on the University event in the days ahead. And I've been in touch with the new webzine editor Vincent Chow, and with his encouragement, will be writing a feature article on the championship, and on the future of Canadian post-secondary chess. I'll be encouraging Vincent to ask some of the stronger players to annotate their key games from Kingston.

Comment

Can someone post (or email me) all the available games from this event, so I don't have to download them one by one off chess5.com?

Thanks.

Comment

Frank;
                  Instead of posting here why not be the first to post on the new Webzine.
                  Paul Beckwith is looking for submissions.
                  John R. Brown

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I definitely had a great time organizing (even with the amount of work, and complaining about how flipping cold the room was going to be), and playing! I only wish I could have been at the hotel with you all for the... social bonding =]. Next year.

John, I believe Frank is in the process of writing something for the webzine, and is looking for some of the players to annotate their games. So hopefully, something will be up there soon.

Hugh, Ill mention it to Frank when I see him today so hopefully somebody will have all the games available you in a better format in a few days.

Cheers,
                    Tyler

Comment

Re: University Championship: Games on Chess5

Hi Frank:

Thanks for taking the time to enter and post a number of the championship games on Chess5 ( http://www.chess5.com ). It's nice that some of them are available to play over. And Hugh can grab them for his database.

Bob

Comment

Thanks to Jonathan Berry, who sent me all the posted games from the event - saving me the trouble of copying and pasting them one by one from the Chess5 site. They will appear on my next CanBase II update in the next week or two.

There is still a bug in the "Date" field on Chess5 - it should be in the format "yyyy.mm.dd" (not "yyyy-mm-dd" - which does not generate a complete date in Chessbase).

Comment

Working...
                        X