Women’s World Championship 2017, Tehran

February 11, 2017

The games of the matches are in a new thread:

Games of the WWC 2017, Tehran

http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...WC-2017-Tehran

Comment

• Re: Women’s World Championship 2017, Tehran

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      I think that it should be up to the player herself. If she doesn't have a problem with the regulations then so be it.
      I personally have a problem with any country that treats people badly in any way: many countries come to mind...
      I don't think our representative should have taken any advice from anyone except her own views.
      Sure, it's her choice, she obviously agrees with the policy because she's attending. On the other hand, if any player felt coerced to bend their own belief system in order to compete, it's not a good choice because in the end it's a chess match. FIDE is further marginalizing chess with these decisions.
      Last edited by Duncan Smith; Sunday, 12th February, 2017, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
        Sure, it's her choice, she obviously agrees with the policy because she's attending. On the other hand, if any player felt coerced to bend their own belief system in order to compete, it's not a good choice because in the end it's a chess match. FIDE is further marginalizing chess with these decisions.
        Attendance doesn't absolutely mean agreement with the headgear regulation. The headgear may just be a necessary 'evil' for some of those wishing to play. Also, the headgear can't automatically be deemed sexist and abusive. If a muslim woman is wearing headgear voluntarily then it's her decision to honour her god in this way, just as a roman catholic woman might choose to wear a crucifix and a rosary.
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
          Attendance doesn't absolutely mean agreement with the headgear regulation. The headgear may just be a necessary 'evil' for some of those wishing to play. Also, the headgear can't automatically be deemed sexist and abusive. If a muslim woman is wearing headgear voluntarily then it's her decision to honour her god in this way, just as a roman catholic woman might choose to wear a crucifix and a rosary.
          You're not serious are you? We're talking about a "regulation" here....no "voluntarily" nor "choose" in the equation. Kudos to those who stand up and are counted....shame on those who stand idly by while evil escalates. Perhaps we need a poll on this....you enjoy those Peter?
          Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
            You're not serious are you? We're talking about a "regulation" here....no "voluntarily" nor "choose" in the equation. Kudos to those who stand up and are counted....shame on those who stand idly by while evil escalates. Perhaps we need a poll on this....you enjoy those Peter?
            Yes, fred, I'm aware that we're talking about a headgear regulation at the WWC. I referred to it at the end of the first sentence of my post. Perhaps you have trouble maintaining focus when you have to cope with a sentence containing nine words?

I do see that my sloppy writing is confusing. My intention was to talk about the headgear regulation at the WWC and then make some general comments about Muslim women's headgear. Obviously I didn't do a very good job of drawing a line between the two.

Re polls, you do whatever you like.
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Yes, fred, I'm aware that we're talking about a headgear regulation at the WWC. I referred to it at the end of the first sentence of my post. Perhaps you have trouble maintaining focus when you have to cope with a sentence containing nine words?

I do see that my sloppy writing is confusing. My intention was to talk about the headgear regulation at the WWC and then make some general comments about Muslim women's headgear. Obviously I didn't do a very good job of drawing a line between the two.

I have absolutely no problem comprehending a nine word sentence. That was not the subject of my rebuttal.
              Last edited by Fred Harvey; Monday, 13th February, 2017, 08:32 AM.
              Fred Harvey

Comment

Sure, it's her choice, she obviously agrees with the policy because she's attending.
                Preposterous.

Comment

After reading the above and your other post from yesterday, your so-called "rebuttal" of what I said is that the WWC headgear regulation is an example of "escalating evil"?? LOL!!

Comment

http://www.women.ncr-iran.org/iran-w...aring-the-veil

Posted by GM Emil Sutovsky on Facebook.
                    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                      http://www.women.ncr-iran.org/iran-w...aring-the-veil

Posted by GM Emil Sutovsky on Facebook.
                      If your point is that the way in which this young woman's theocratic, sexist, and possibly misogynistic government is treating her is unfair, then I agree.

Comment

If your point is that the way in which this young woman's theocratic, sexist, and possibly misogynistic government is treating her is unfair, then I agree.
                        So now you are agreeing that this governments actions are "unfair"? Many of us believe they are "evil" in to-days world. I have lost all sense of where your woolly thinking is taking you.....
                        Fred Harvey

Comment

So now you are agreeing that this governments actions are "unfair"? Many of us believe they are "evil" in to-days world. I have lost all sense of where your woolly thinking is taking you.....
                          Tom posted a link about something not directly related to the Women's World Championship. Different set of circumstances - different opinion. Not that hard to understand, is it?

Comment

Tom posted a link about something not directly related to the Women's World Championship. Different set of circumstances - different opinion. Not that hard to understand, is it?
                            NOT a different set of circumstances! Both issues involve the actions of the Iranian government toward female chess player(s)....WWC, Gibraltar, where-ever. I'm beginning to think that my characterization of you as a woolly thinker is too kind, and you're just a common old idiot. (My insults tend to be more direct than yours).
                            Fred Harvey

Comment

NOT a different set of circumstances! Both issues involve the actions of the Iranian government toward female chess player(s)....WWC, Gibraltar, where-ever. I'm beginning to think that my characterization of you as a woolly thinker is too kind, and you're just a common old idiot. (My insults tend to be more direct than yours).
                              I agree that both issues ultimately involve actions of the Iranian government towards women. But you're claiming that I'm being inconsistent. My involvement in this sub thread started because I disagreed with Duncan Smith's position that non-Iranian women attending the WWC must be in agreement with the headgear regulation. Duncan said:

I responded:

There's nothing inconsistent between what I said to Duncan and what I said to Tom.

Comment

Working...
                              X