Question - Invitation letter to a foreigner for visa purpose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question - Invitation letter to a foreigner for visa purpose

We've started to receive requests to provide the invitation letter to obtain the visa. We're not in a position decide if they really want to play in the tournament or just looking for an excuse to entry the country.

Thus a question to other organizers - Do you have any template with no strings attached? (Being a local tournament we support local players.) Would you like to share it? Some advise? Thnx.

Re: Question - Invitation letter to a foreigner for visa purpose

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    We've started to receive requests to provide the invitation letter to obtain the visa. We're not in a position decide if they really want to play in the tournament or just looking for an excuse to entry the country.

Thus a question to other organizers - Do you have any template with no strings attached? (Being a local tournament we support local players.) Would you like to share it? Some advise? Thnx.
    The Canadian government website has a template to follow. You can also look up a FIDE tournament invitation letter. If you want to invite someone from Russia be prepared to provide your birth certificate or passport as proof of citizenship.

Many people fishing for invitations do not have any intention of attending and want an excuse to come to Canada though this is not usually an issue with titled players.

I'm not at home at the moment but in the library waiting for my student to show up.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

our policy is not to issue these letters unless the person is known to us. Largely a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
        our policy is not to issue these letters unless the person is known to us. Largely a waste of time.
        I (2016 Canadian Open organizer) and the 2017 Canadian Open organizers did this for Alexander Cherniaev who is a grandmaster from Moscow. This was the only person who I did this for. It was not necessary for ETA countries or the U.S.A. where our other players came from. It turned out quite well for us as he also became a coach for us at WYCC/WCCC when only one lower rated Canadian who was qualified applied. We are at a point where most of the kids going even in the younger groups are rated 2000 and above. Having a Russian speaking coach and a senior FIDE trainer was a real benefit particularly for the tournament in Russia.

I would say that 90% of the people applying for these letters don't really plan on attending and for them a generic FIDE style letter is sufficient. If they are non-titled players I would also insist on a paid entry before entertaining requests for such letters.
        Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Friday, 25th August, 2017, 04:26 PM.

Comment

I have also received a request. The person said he wanted to bring his students and needs an invitation to get VISA's. I was told this is a ploy to get into the country and I politely said no. I believe this trick has been tried for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
            I have also received a request. The person said he wanted to bring his students and needs an invitation to get VISA's. I was told this is a ploy to get into the country and I politely said no. I believe this trick has been tried for many years.
            I had a similar request for NAYCC 2016 from a continent which is not eligible to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
              ditto.....

Comment

Working...
              X