X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hart House Holidays Open

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
    Hi Mark,

I used to have a chart on the flyer with a complete projected prize fund based on entries. I stopped doing it for two reasons: people know what we do and what to expect, and it gave me little lee-way when I needed it. As you mentioned, it's the organizer's discretion and organizers are different in how they do this bit.
    With that said, I don't intend to drastically deviate in any way what we've done in the past. One of the reasons why I changed the entry fee to a nearly-flat $60 all the way across by scrapping the majority of the discounts was precisely to more adequately predict the prize fund based on entries.

It would be foolish of me to try to seriously fiddle with what seems to have worked in the past, so players can expect a similar distribution to previous editions of Hart House tournaments.

What players can expect based on what we have done in the past, based on about 120 players (ie approx $5,000):
    40-50% of prize fund in Crown Section with $1,000 first prize
    No prize ladder or distinction between the other categories, with each having ~15% of the prize fund, with a first prize between $300-400.
    Possible team prize: If one is put in place, it will be a flat $400 so each team member can take home $100.
    3 prizes in each of the 4 sections.

Why do I also not want to place a rigid chart with a prize fund distribution? Section sizes can vary substantially. It is not uncommon for me to adjust the prize fund slightly based on the size of the section. Some examples that come to mind are... adding a 4th place prize or particularly in the U1600 section, create a sub-rating (ie U1300 prize within U1600 section) that only the lower group is eligible too.

The prize fund is generally posted on the second day of the tournament, on-site. This allows the organizer to breathe and make some calculations based on the pool of players that have turned up to play.

Alex Ferreira
    Thank you very much for the quick reply and clarifications. Wish you success in your tournaments!

Comment

*bump* list updated

Comment

GTCL Cup awards at Hart House Holidays Open

Dear chess friends,
        We will have a short GTCL Cup awards ceremony at Hart House Holidays Open before round 3 - on Saturday, December 17, at 3:25 pm.

GTCL will present trophies to 2016 GTCL Cup winners:

Starks:

1. Nikolay Noritsyn
        2. Victor Plotkin
        3. Mark Plotkin
        4. Max Rusonik

The Stragglers (U1800):

1. Daniel Abrahams
        2. Yury Cheryachukin
        3. Dragan Jevtic
        4. Abdolreza Radpey

Hopefully, all these players will play at Hart House Holidays Open or at least will come on Saturday to receive their trophies.

See you on Saturday at Hart House!

Comment

*bump*

Over 100 entries now. Note that the last day to send me an email is Wednesday to receive early fee rate.

Alex F.

Comment

Hmmm...
            It's not letting me edit my original post. The waiting wheel keeps on spinning.
            Did I exceed the allotted # of characters in one post, or something?
            Please advise, thanks.
            Alex F.

Comment

Hmmm...
              It's not letting me edit my original post. The waiting wheel keeps on spinning.
              Did I exceed the allotted # of characters in one post, or something?
              Please advise, thanks.
              Alex F.
              Maybe you have to kick out some of the early pre-regs to let the later ones in??....of course, not me!

Bob A

Comment

Hi Bob... well... I can't get the edit box to pop-up so... you're safe.

Comment

Reply with Quote doesn't work either.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                    Reply with Quote doesn't work either.
                    Clicking two times (not too fast), it forces to open a page :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      Clicking two times (not too fast), it forces to open a page :)
                      This method worked for me too, Egis.....at first the processing circle does just circulate...but on the second click, it works.

Bob A

Comment

Hi Alex:

I'm sorry if this question was answered earlier....in a quick look I couldn't find it........

Are any sections FIDE-rated? I can't see anything in the original post on rating - I'm not sure if that is because all sections are CFC-rated, and that is it.

Thanks.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                          Are any sections FIDE-rated? I can't see anything in the original post on rating
                          Two top sections are registered with FIDE https://ratings.fide.com/tournament_...de&country=CAN

Comment

Re: Hart House Holidays Open - FIDE Rating

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                            Two top sections are registered with FIDE https://ratings.fide.com/tournament_...de&country=CAN
                            Hi Egis:

Thanks.

And I'd like to commend the HHCC for FIDE-rating the second section, as well as the first. This allows the pool of second rung FIDE-rated players to grow. So in future, in the second section, players will face more and more FIDE-rated players, and be able to play more often for FIDE rating points. I am aware that it is an extra expense to the organizers to FIDE rate the second section as well.

I can only make a pitch that organizers in future also consider this for the third section.....the same argument applies.....it is the only way to grow the pool of FIDE-rated players, and give them more opportunities to win FIDE rating points. Of course, I'd be interested to hear any views why this would not be a good extension of the HHCC practice.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                              Hi Egis:

Thanks.

And I'd like to commend the HHCC for FIDE-rating the second section, as well as the first. This allows the pool of second rung FIDE-rated players to grow. So in future, in the second section, players will face more and more FIDE-rated players, and be able to play more often for FIDE rating points. I am aware that it is an extra expense to the organizers to FIDE rate the second section as well.

I can only make a pitch that organizers in future also consider this for the third section.....the same argument applies.....it is the only way to grow the pool of FIDE-rated players, and give them more opportunities to win FIDE rating points. Of course, I'd be interested to hear any views why this would not be a good extension of the HHCC practice.

Bob A
                              Hi Bob,
                              We rated the Spring Open at Hart House top 3 sections with FIDE. We may yet rate the U1900 with FIDE for the Reading Week Open in February. With 6 rounds, it's more appealing to attempt FIDE rating a section where a good number of players will still not have a rating.
                              I will study the players' pool and consider it again.
                              Alex F.

Comment

Hi Bob,
                                We rated the Spring Open at Hart House top 3 sections with FIDE. We may yet rate the U1900 with FIDE for the Reading Week Open in February. With 6 rounds, it's more appealing to attempt FIDE rating a section where a good number of players will still not have a rating.
                                I will study the players' pool and consider it again.
                                Alex F.
                                Hi Alex:

Thanks.

I know the pool of FIDE rated players in the U 1900 section is not too large, but I think it has been slowly growing.

I'm going to help out a bit and check the 19 pre-registered players in our U 1900 section, just out of curiosity, to see how many do already have a FIDE rating. I'll post the no. here.

The more players with FIDE-ratings in the section, the more effective it is for the organizer to FIDE-rate the section.

Bob A

Comment

Working...
                                X