Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trump

Ah shucks, look at you two!

Brosies in Trump Trauma ... isn't that just about the most adorable thing I've seen all day!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
      Ah shucks, look at you two!

Brosies in Trump Trauma ... isn't that just about the most adorable thing I've seen all day!
      As I was reading your post a few minutes ago, I was highly amused when Peter Mansbridge reported, on the CBC news, that there is now reason to believe that Russia has been pressuring/blackmailing Trump for years for, among other things, sexual perversion. Baaaaahahahaha!!! That's your guy, eh Neil? A lying pervert? :) :) :)

p.s. a friend just texted me that Trump has tweeted that, "Mansbridge is highly overrated." :)
      Last edited by Peter McKillop; Tuesday, 10th January, 2017, 11:25 PM.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Fake news ... yawn. This stuff isn't going to help with your Trump trauma, Peter.

BTW:

U.S. Small-Business Optimism Index Surges by Most Since 1980

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ost-since-1980

Can't wait to see what you guys come up with next!

:D

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
          Fake news ... yawn. This stuff isn't going to help with your Trump trauma, Peter.

BTW:

U.S. Small-Business Optimism Index Surges by Most Since 1980

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ost-since-1980

Can't wait to see what you guys come up with next!

:D

It doesn't matter "what we come up with" because Trump's repeating mantra of "fake news" (which you have latched onto like a fish to a hook) is going to seal his fate within his own party. If it isn't the Russian thing, it will be something else. It is looking very much like some way or another, America will end up with Mike Pence as President, very likely before 2017 is done with. In this way, Hillary's principle assertion during the campaign that Trump does not have the temperament to be President will be triumphant.

One person, or even one party, declaring unilaterally what news is legitimate and what news is fake in America is political suicide.
          Only the rushing is heard...
          Onward flies the bird.

Comment

If its on CNN, its fake news. If it is on Fox, its real news. Everyone knows that. What will be really amusing is if Trump does not take a question from CNN for four or eight years.

Comment

10 characters......
              Last edited by Dilip Panjwani; Wednesday, 11th January, 2017, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                One person, or even one party, declaring unilaterally what news is legitimate and what news is fake in America is political suicide.
                I agree. So why is Zuckerberg having people like this determine what is legitimate and what is fake?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...xen-domme.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevlee.../#441159841e02
                "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Some more fake news. Courtesy of the CBC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBHK4WWDdq4
                  "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                    Some more fake news. Courtesy of the CBC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBHK4WWDdq4

I didn't watch much of this, but the very first factual claim I saw was that (according to someone) hateful language used in various online postings in Canada (Twitter, Facebook, forums, etc.) has gone up 600% from November 2015 to November 2016. They called this the Trump effect.

Tom, is this one of the things you are calling fake news?

I have no idea whether this is a true claim or not. The only thing I can say is that there are ways to measure such things that I know about and work with, and so it COULD BE true if they actually did the work. Tom, if you think that 600% increase is fake news, can you elaborate on why you think that?

Here's an interesting fact about data being generated online: all the data generated worldwide using computers from the beginning of the computer age in the late 1950's up until the end of 2009... that's a shitload of data.... is now being generated worldwide EVERY 10 MINUTES.

This is why Big Data is such a big deal with companies like Amazon, Google, Microsoft etc. They all need to have a way to handle this exponential increase in data and find valuable nuggets within it that pertains to their business and their markets.

Another interesting tidbit I saw recently: if you believe in the "many parallel worlds" theory, every time a quantum decision gets made, new parallel universes get created for each potential outcome. Don't ask me how someone figured this out, but if you wanted to write out in numbers written in 12 point font how many parallel universes should exist by now..... the number would be more than 250 million miles long.

huh.... and I thought pi being calculated to more than 10 trillion digits (with no discovered pattern) was incredible.....
                    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                      I didn't watch much of this, but the very first factual claim I saw was that (according to someone) hateful language used in various online postings in Canada (Twitter, Facebook, forums, etc.) has gone up 600% from November 2015 to November 2016. They called this the Trump effect.

Tom, is this one of the things you are calling fake news?

I have no idea whether this is a true claim or not. The only thing I can say is that there are ways to measure such things that I know about and work with, and so it COULD BE true if they actually did the work. Tom, if you think that 600% increase is fake news, can you elaborate on why you think that?

Here's an interesting fact about data being generated online: all the data generated worldwide using computers from the beginning of the computer age in the late 1950's up until the end of 2009... that's a shitload of data.... is now being generated worldwide EVERY 10 MINUTES.

This is why Big Data is such a big deal with companies like Amazon, Google, Microsoft etc. They all need to have a way to handle this exponential increase in data and find valuable nuggets within it that pertains to their business and their markets.

Another interesting tidbit I saw recently: if you believe in the "many parallel worlds" theory, every time a quantum decision gets made, new parallel universes get created for each potential outcome. Don't ask me how someone figured this out, but if you wanted to write out in numbers written in 12 point font how many parallel universes should exist by now..... the number would be more than 250 million miles long.

huh.... and I thought pi being calculated to more than 10 trillion digits (with no discovered pattern) was incredible.....
                      To answer your question specifically:

"Intolerant language" does not necessarily equal "hate speech". Here is how they found it:

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/blog/a...erant-language

Notice this

"This search contained 40 derogatory terms that are either racist or religiously or ethnically offensive."

Offensive to whom? Is being offensive now hate speech? How were the 40 terms chosen, and why those 40? Who chose them? Saying that you don't like members of Group X is not the same as advocating violence against that group. Having pride in your heritage is kinda goofy imo ("I am tall" "I have red hair" "I am from Scotland", these are not accomplishments so I don't see why anyone would have pride in them) but how is that hate speech?

I have a lot of other problems with this "investigative report" but I leave it to you to watch the thing in its entirety, though frankly it's a complete waste of time so I don't blame you if you pass. Also notice that their website explaining their methodology has no comments and comments were closed for this story.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                        To answer your question specifically:

"Intolerant language" does not necessarily equal "hate speech". Here is how they found it:

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/blog/a...erant-language

Notice this

"This search contained 40 derogatory terms that are either racist or religiously or ethnically offensive."

Offensive to whom? Is being offensive now hate speech? How were the 40 terms chosen, and why those 40? Who chose them? Saying that you don't like members of Group X is not the same as advocating violence against that group. Having pride in your heritage is kinda goofy imo ("I am tall" "I have red hair" "I am from Scotland", these are not accomplishments so I don't see why anyone would have pride in them) but how is that hate speech?

I have a lot of other problems with this "investigative report" but I leave it to you to watch the thing in its entirety, though frankly it's a complete waste of time so I don't blame you if you pass. Also notice that their website explaining their methodology has no comments and comments were closed for this story.
                        I would definitely say that hiring an actor to go out on the streets and shout "White Power!" and hawk T-shirts saying that same thing with a clenched fist graphic is way, way over the top and not in the realm of responsible journalism. I bet that actor had to sign a release form so that if anyone broke his leg with a baseball bat (or worse) the CBC could not be held liable. That actor had to be quite desperate.... wonder if he would have done the same thing on the streets of south Chicago?

Nationalism (pride of heritage) is one of many things that drive peoples to war and violence, but can be present and tolerated in a mild form. Cheering for Team Canada versus the Russians in hockey is fine, so long as it doesn't lead one to actually despise Russians. But these kind of things will always be with us, even in the extreme. Trump played to the growing anger among working class Americans who aren't making headway despite having jobs, and he did it by invoking nationalism. It has worked in the past and it will work in the future, all it requires is a perception (real or imagined) that "others" are coming in and taking things away from you.

As far as what is offensive and what is hate language, it's all very subjective. I did a satire on the argument we've seen here on the subject of separate women's titles and events in chess, and suddenly some people are calling me a racist and a homophobe. But an objective observer would note that the people making those accusations are the same people whose arguments for or against separate women's titles and events were satirized, and to that observer their accusations are reactionary only, caused by some sort of blow to the ego. Akin to Donald Trump calling Meryl Streep "over-rated" as an actress because she dared to speak out against his actions and policies.

A correct reading of my satire shows no characterization of any of the groups mentioned (Eskimos, transgenders, albinos, midgets). But there are still bound to be people who weren't even satirized and yet who would be silly enough to call the satire offensive to the groups mentioned. In fact, one such person, who I believe to be university-educated and working in a university setting, did do that. It just proves that what is offensive can be and often is determined subjectively, even against the grain of an environment that tries to teach logical objectivity in making such judgments.

This whole theme has been explored in many ways, not the least of which was the constant tension on the original Star Trek between the logical Vulcan Spock and the emotional Dr. McCoy. This battle between objectivity and subjectivity is part of the human existence. I don't claim to be perfectly objective, and I don't think any human being can. In this particular case, it means that there are bound to be people who take certain language that you or I might consider offensive but not hateful to be both offensive AND hateful.

If we get past that issue, then the simple finding that use of these 40 terms has risen 600% from Nov 2015 to Nov 2016 is significant if true. That's really what this report should have focused on, but instead they go and do some dumbass prank that basically destroys their credibility.
                        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Trump bashers are clearly descending into insanity. Trump though does tend to get distracted by shiny objects. I suspect that there was some voter fraud in jurisdictions that accept driver's licenses as proof of citizenship but clearly not in the millions. Catch the illegal voters and punish them.

Comment

Trump tweets while Rome burns

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                            If its on CNN, its fake news. If it is on Fox, its real news. Everyone knows that. What will be really amusing is if Trump does not take a question from CNN for four or eight years.
                            Trump is participating in the media war rather than, say, as was the case with George Bush, being a mostly passive actor in it. This is new. So, for example, Trump uses Twitter and simply goes around and thereby rendering the usual press corps irrelevant. For example: what's Trump doing at this moment? Check his Twitter feed. Who cares what the Main Stream Media (MSM) has to say about it? And so on.

And he's going to find support from the right AND the left for this approach. The attempt to de-legitimize Trump and his election victory by the MSM is actually backfiring; it is de-legitimizing the MSM. And I don't think they get it, yet. When Donald Trump, at a Press Conference, says, openly, to CNN, "You are fake news. I won't take a question from you," he is expressing the view of millions of people who are sick and tired of the MSM.

So, yeah, CNN, and FoxNews for that matter, better get used to this new way of doing things.

I think Chinese New Year is coming up this weekend. So, to borrow a phrase, I think we are living in interesting times.
                            Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Thursday, 26th January, 2017, 05:38 PM. Reason: MSM
                            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                              Trump bashers are clearly descending into insanity. ...
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5imkOx6f5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pCjO3Bha-U

Comment

Re: Trump tweets while Rome burns

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                                Trump is participating in the media war rather than, say, as was the case with George Bush, being a mostly passive actor in it. This is new. So, for example, Trump uses Twitter and simply goes around and thereby rendering the usual press corps irrelevant. For example: what's Trump doing at this moment? Check his Twitter feed. Who cares what the Main Stream Media (MSM) has to say about it? And so on.

And he's going to find support from the right AND the left for this approach. The attempt to de-legitimize Trump and his election victory by the MSM is actually backfiring; it is de-legitimizing the MSM. And I don't think they get it, yet. When Donald Trump, at a Press Conference, says, openly, to CNN, "You are fake news. I won't take a question from you," he is expressing the view of millions of people who are sick and tired of the MSM.

So, yeah, CNN, and FoxNews for that matter, better get used to this new way of doing things.

I think Chinese New Year is coming up this weekend. So, to borrow a phrase, I think we are living in interesting times.

Nigel, I believe most of what you posted here is wishful thinking on your part. Of course it is true that SOME people, maybe even numbering a few million, are going to take Trump's Twitter feed as their source of news and information. They will swallow it hook, line and sinker. This is not going to "render the usual press corps irrelevant" nor "de-legitimize the MSM" (sic).

The vast majority of citizens will still get their news from the mainstream media (I refuse to use your acronym, Nigel!)

The vast majority will not buy into Trumpster's false narrative of CNN being fake news. And wouldn't it be something if CNN turned around and found the story that ended Trump's Presidency? Mainstream media is very good at doing things like that, so giving them further motivation to do it is.... dangerous.

There is definitely a "war on facts" going on. Kellyanne Conway launched the latest salvo, with her "what we are providing is alternative facts" declaration which has been properly debunked as the latest euphemism for lies.

I would say this is an insult to the intelligence of most adult Americans, but then again, it might work for some time because there has been a great dumbing-down of America over the past few decades. But we should realize that the war has just begun -- never before has factual evidence as most of us know it undergone such a radical and pervasive onslaught. There are plenty of people who are rallying to defend it. The entire legal system relies on it, and so the way I see this war playing out is in a courtroom where Trump's very Presidency will be brought to an end. Exactly when and how this will happen is not yet clear, but there are several decades of his past life to explore more fully as CNN and others may do, possibly uncovering something we haven't even heard about yet.

So if I had to put money on it, I would say it is far more likely it will be Trump's legitimacy -- not the legitimacy of the mainstream media -- that will be ultimately undermined. In years to come, America will look back on this period similarly to the way the short era of McCarthyism has been looked back on for decades now.

Trump should heed the saying: live by the sword, die by the sword. When one goes around using terms like "lying Ted" and "crooked Hillary", one sets a high standard for one's own behavior going forward.... and Donald Trump can't meet that standard for 5 minutes let alone an entire Presidential term of 4 years.

I would also note the great observation of the famous Canadian Marshall McLuhan, who first realized "the media is the messsage". He probably foresaw this age of Twitter and instant global communication, and what it would mean. He probably even envisioned a person like Trump would come along and try to use the new instant communication as a means to disseminate "news" and "facts". But McLuhan's great statement will hold out: instant tweets will never replace researched and vetted reports and actual factual evidence as a court of law would determine it. And just as tweets themselves are short, I believe the age of using them for brainwashing will also be a mere blip in overall time.
                                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
                                X