Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trump tweets while Rome burns

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post

... The vast majority will not buy into Trumpster's false narrative of CNN being fake news. ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAEy5yjX4S8

They aren't alone:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...york-times-cia
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Your two anecdotal links seem to just show that the exception makes the rule. CNN and NY Times are both very large news organizations handling a large volume of events... are they going to screw up once in a while? Yes, definitely. Does this make everything they do "fake news"? Absolutely not.

You had to go back 6 months for the CNN story, and all the way back to 2011 for the NY Times one. But with Trump, his tweets are putting out false information daily. Yesterday's was the response to Hillary winning the popular vote by nearly 3 million votes: the Dumpster says that's because "millions" of illegitimate ballots were cast. No evidence provided, and there's already been extensive investigations that debunk the claim. Nevertheless it's out there on the Dumpster's Twitter feed and being taken as gospel by his followers. For these people, the infamous movie line "You can't HANDLE the truth!" seems to be the real story.
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

1) Clearly Trump is engaging in hyperbole. The same sort of hyperbole that the Left uses when they claim there are zero illegitimate ballots. The truth is almost certainly somewhere in the middle. Who knows how many and more importantly who wants it known?

https://fs.wp.odu.edu/jrichman/2016/...itizen-voting/

2) http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...-troll-n702816

Note the date and the "correction" that appears on the bottom of the article. This is not unusual for media when describing Yiannopoulos. You can find other examples of such corrections/retractions via Google.
        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
          Your two anecdotal links seem to just show that the exception makes the rule. CNN and NY Times are both very large news organizations handling a large volume of events... are they going to screw up once in a while? Yes, definitely. Does this make everything they do "fake news"? Absolutely not.

You had to go back 6 months for the CNN story, and all the way back to 2011 for the NY Times one. But with Trump, his tweets are putting out false information daily. Yesterday's was the response to Hillary winning the popular vote by nearly 3 million votes: the Dumpster says that's because "millions" of illegitimate ballots were cast. No evidence provided, and there's already been extensive investigations that debunk the claim. Nevertheless it's out there on the Dumpster's Twitter feed and being taken as gospel by his followers. For these people, the infamous movie line "You can't HANDLE the truth!" seems to be the real story.
          Great post Paul. I totally agree.

Trump's narcissism has been on display (huge) for his first week as President. He can't accept that he didn't win the popular vote, so he needs to convince us all of his alternate reality. Hopefully there are enough US voters who can resist this move to 1984.

Comment

Yes, good post, Paul ! For those of us who don't have time to watch a lot of news, in order to get the the full impact of the almost minute-by-minute jackassery of the pussygrabber presidency, I'm hoping that Netflix will offer news highlight re-runs. :)
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
              1) Clearly Trump is engaging in hyperbole. The same sort of hyperbole that the Left uses when they claim there are zero illegitimate ballots. The truth is almost certainly somewhere in the middle. Who knows how many and more importantly who wants it known?

https://fs.wp.odu.edu/jrichman/2016/...itizen-voting/

That's an interesting link and I'm going to look at it more when I have the time. The guy seems fairly objective, not drinking the Trump Koolaid.

But you, Tom! If you really believe Trump is engaging in hyperbole, you ARE on the Koolaid. It is not hyperbole for him, it is very real and he is trying to drum up a major investigation. Some Utah member of Congress is resisting, saying the evidence just isn't there.

If Trump is engaging in hyperbole (and Tom, you are the only person I've heard that from), then what does it get him? It just makes him look bad. No, I think even the Dumpster is too narcissistic for that. He is doubling down on his claim.

Realize that what the Dumpster tries to do is to make it look like he is the only person (in professional politics at least) that can see things as they really are. So if the media says there is no evidence, and if politicians even in his own party (Paul Ryan, to name a prominent one) say there is no evidence, Trump will fight them on that and relish it because he stands out to his supporters as "telling it like it is". This is the Koolaid the supporters are addicted to.

Trump really does believe that there were millions of illegitimate votes cast, and at the same time he believes Russian hacking had no effect on anyone's vote! I can see Trump believing all that, but anyone else would have to be totally brainwashed to believe either one of these views, the objective evidence against them is so overwhelming.

And Tom, yes, we can google and find anecdotal evidence of screwups in mainstream media coverage (both accidental and deliberate). The deliberate ones are done by people who shouldn't be in the journalism profession to begin with, and when you have journalists in the tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands, there's going to be some bad apples.

But overall, the integrity of mainstream media cannot be faulted. Brian Williams, one of the most respected and liked journalists in America, lost his anchor position at NBC Nightly News because he was found to have misrepresented a story about being in a helicopter in Iraq and coming under fire from RPGs. He ended up recanting and apologizing, and some other misrepresentations were found in other stories he had done, including Hurricane Katrina. Despite his stellar reputation up to that time, Williams lost his job and is now doing late-night anchor work with MSNBC.

Quite a fall, and yet it was necessary to uphold journalistic integrity. And we should note, none of what Williams did was politically motivated. But are there some people in mainstream media misrepresenting events out of political motivation? Most likely yes. Is it pervasive throughout the industry? No, there is no evidence of that. The industry DOES manage itself very well, as the Brian Williams story tells us. The last thing NBC wanted to do was knock Brian Williams off the air, he was VERY well liked by viewers.

So please Tom, don't give us anecdotal evidence. What you need to find to prove your personal bias has merit is evidence of WIDESPREAD misreporting. Good luck with that.
              Onward flies the bird.

Comment

https://econjwatch.org/file_download...f?mimetype=pdf

Check out the graph on page 425 (it starts on page 422).

Yes, it is possible that the students will remain completely unaffected by the political leanings of the professors, but I think that is highly unlikely. Young people are often impressionable.

As an anecdotal example, I have a reporter on my Facebook page. Roughly 1/3 of his posts are references to anti-Trump articles. He is in no way unbiased.

I personally have a somewhat negative opinion of Trump the man. I know nothing about Trump the POTUS. However, I do credit Trump with goading the toxic cult of SJWs and demonstrating to everyone exactly what sort of people these authoritarians are like.

Comment

Re: Trump

Good to see The Donald getting a lesson on the importance of immigration.

Those heavy handed restrictions on immigration (not referring to the wall) and some of the limitations imposed on free speech (such as the EPA) are forcing me to back down my enthusiasm for the Trumpster's term in office ...sigh.
                  Last edited by Neil Frarey; Sunday, 29th January, 2017, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Contradictory headlines on a popular web portal tonight:

- Amid chaos, Trump insists 'this is not a Muslim ban'

- Trump asked for a 'Muslim ban', Giuliani says
                    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

I refer you to 10:15 and the completely rational, reasoned response from the professor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzFS1qLlULc

To summarize: the students are here to learn about human rights so you (the police) should beat up anyone who disagrees with our agenda.

Comment

I refer you to 10:15 and the completely rational, reasoned response from the professor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzFS1qLlULc

To summarize: the students are here to learn about human rights so you (the police) should beat up anyone who disagrees with our agenda.
                        Now, that is HYSTERIA!!!

And truly funny.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                          Now, that is HYSTERIA!!!

And truly funny.
                          I didn't find it particularly funny, although I can understand why someone like you, Ken, would be amused by it. I thought it was sad, particularly if that hysterical woman really was an NYU professor. She was not setting a good example for those young people. If you want to live in a country that truly values things like freedom of assembly/speech/religion/equality/etc. then you have to defeat repugnant viewpoints by exposing their falsehoods and underlying bases (hatred primarily) in rational debate and not by demanding that the police violate the rights of those you disagree with.
                          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

It may or may not be funny, but it is ironic that the prof wants to use the police to beat up the "fascists".

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                              I didn't find it particularly funny, although I can understand why someone like you, Ken, would be amused by it. I thought it was sad, particularly if that hysterical woman really was an NYU professor. She was not setting a good example for those young people. If you want to live in a country that truly values things like freedom of assembly/speech/religion/equality/etc. then you have to defeat repugnant viewpoints by exposing their falsehoods and underlying bases (hatred primarily) in rational debate and not by demanding that the police violate the rights of those you disagree with.
                              And, pray tell, what does "someone like me" mean?

Comment

It may or may not be funny, but it is ironic that the prof wants to use the police to beat up the "fascists".
                                I skipped ahead to 10:15 or thereabouts and was kind of shocked at the 'enthusiasm' that woman/professor showed - wow. I could almost predict what she was going to yell (and I am still wondering why it is that I could predict some of that...?! yikes) Anyway, interesting post and bizarre video but I don't think we have seen the last of these kind of protests. I think it will only get worse and I am afraid the violence level will simply ratchet up quickly... stay tuned world.

aside: see this Toronto Star log of Trump's presidential "lies" (some might just call them inaccuracies? haha)

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...k-updates.html
                                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
                                X