Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trump

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
    And, pray tell, what does "someone like me" mean?
    Unless my memory totally fails me, you made it clear in another thread that you're a Trump supporter; i.e. not necessarily a supporter of the Republican party platform, but a supporter of Donald Trump. I expect that people like you (Trump supporters) would take special delight in watching someone from the 'other side' lose it. Am I wrong?
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      I skipped ahead to 10:15 or thereabouts and was kind of shocked at the 'enthusiasm' that woman/professor showed - wow. I could almost predict what she was going to yell (and I am still wondering why it is that I could predict some of that...?! yikes) Anyway, interesting post and bizarre video but I don't think we have seen the last of these kind of protests. I think it will only get worse and I am afraid the violence level will simply ratchet up quickly... stay tuned world.

aside: see this Toronto Star log of Trump's presidential "lies" (some might just call them inaccuracies? haha)

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...k-updates.html

Perhaps Kerry you need to remind yourself that what Tom posted is a YOUTUBE VIDEO.

Are we just blindly accepting Youtube videos as our source of real news? Do we not ask ourselves, "Could this video have been faked?". Could this woman "professor" and the person recording her be plants, paid very much under the table by a shadowy network that perhaps leads right to the POTUS or to one of his PACs? Could there be an active campaign to discredit the left, give everyone the perception that the left stands for violence?

Read the comments, no one seems to know who this woman is. And after her rant, she just skulks away (to a tiny smattering of cheers, seeming to indicate most of the protestors were not in tune with her). Very much acted if you ask me. No wonder Kerry you could predict her every shout.

Youtube is not news, despite what Tom O'Donnell and others want you to think.

Again I have to repeat McLuhan's warning: "The medium is the message." If you have to think about what that means, here's a brief synopsis from Wikipedia (and yes, even Wikipedia can be included in "the medium is the message"):

'....McLuhan describes the "content" of a medium as a juicy piece of meat carried by the burglar to distract the watchdog of the mind. This means that people tend to focus on the obvious, which is the content, to provide us valuable information, but in the process, we largely miss the structural changes in our affairs that are introduced subtly, or over long periods of time. As society's values, norms, and ways of doing things change because of the technology, it is then we realize the social implications of the medium. These range from cultural or religious issues and historical precedents, through interplay with existing conditions, to the secondary or tertiary effects in a cascade of interactions that we are not aware of.'

Trump is successfully making Twitter and Youtube the source of "valid" information for millions of Americans -- the number who are subtly being won over is increasing every day. There is a great dumbing-down going on, very pervasive. As Bill Maher calls it, "the war on facts."
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
        And, pray tell, what does "someone like me" mean?
        Someone who is sane?

Comment

I can admit to being very peeved when I saw that old fart at Berkeley pepper spray that young girl for the crime of going on Fox News. There were no arrests. If possible the feds should cut off funding to Berkeley until they provide a safe environment for all of their students. I would hope that the individual who pepper sprayed the young woman be identified since he did it on camera and brought up on charges for assault or perhaps internet mob justice.

Comment

You're hilarious. When Trump followers (or maybe they were all plants by shadowy figures?) were caught on video doing nasty stuff the MSM lapped it up and vomited it out as truth.

How about we try again. Here's one from the University of Missouri from 2015.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/e...a58056c47.html

Note that without the YouTube video it would have been a "he said, she said" situation and probably nothing would have happened. Note also that although her actions are indefensible imo, she got hired at another university. Why am I not surprised? ;-)

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
            Perhaps Kerry you need to remind yourself that what Tom posted is a YOUTUBE VIDEO.

Are we just blindly accepting Youtube videos as our source of real news? Do we not ask ourselves, "Could this video have been faked?". Could this woman "professor" and the person recording her be plants, paid very much under the table by a shadowy network that perhaps leads right to the POTUS or to one of his PACs? Could there be an active campaign to discredit the left, give everyone the perception that the left stands for violence?

Read the comments, no one seems to know who this woman is. And after her rant, she just skulks away (to a tiny smattering of cheers, seeming to indicate most of the protestors were not in tune with her). Very much acted if you ask me. No wonder Kerry you could predict her every shout.

Again I have to repeat McLuhan's warning: "The medium is the message." If you have to think about what that means, here's a brief synopsis from Wikipedia (and yes, even Wikipedia can be included in "the medium is the message"):

'....McLuhan describes the "content" of a medium as a juicy piece of meat carried by the burglar to distract the watchdog of the mind. This means that people tend to focus on the obvious, which is the content, to provide us valuable information, but in the process, we largely miss the structural changes in our affairs that are introduced subtly, or over long periods of time. As society's values, norms, and ways of doing things change because of the technology, it is then we realize the social implications of the medium. These range from cultural or religious issues and historical precedents, through interplay with existing conditions, to the secondary or tertiary effects in a cascade of interactions that we are not aware of.'

Trump is successfully making Twitter and Youtube the source of "valid" information for millions of Americans -- the number who are subtly being won over is increasing every day. There is a great dumbing-down going on, very pervasive. As Bill Maher calls it, "the war on facts."
            Last edited by Tom O'Donnell; Friday, 3rd February, 2017, 09:11 PM.
            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Gentlemen! This bickering is unseemly. I think it's time that all of us took a moment to remember the victims of the Bowling Green Massacre.

: l
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

http://nypost.com/2016/10/30/nyu-pro...rom-classroom/
                "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Hi Paul:

Very thoughtful, and I think awfully close to the mark. Thanks.

Bob A

Comment

Keep drinking that koolaid Paul. I am well aware of the difficulty in validating just about any form of media. The truth is out there.
                    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                      Keep drinking that koolaid Paul. I am well aware of the difficulty in validating just about any form of media. The truth is out there.
                      That's good Kerry, keep being vigilant. From your earlier reply to Tom, it sounded as if you had bought the farm, lock stock and barrel, just by seeing the video. I think whenever someone tries using Youtube video as evidence of something, we should point out the foolishness of that instead of anything resembling an "OMG!" reaction.

Just to be clear, I do not actually believe 100% the video to BE fake, but I believe it strongly POSSIBLE for it to be fake. And even if the woman professor is for real, the more telling story is the reaction of the other protesters: very lukewarm, as if they really didn't expect that outburst at all and didn't for the most part agree with it.
                      Only the rushing is heard...
                      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                        You're hilarious. When Trump followers (or maybe they were all plants by shadowy figures?) were caught on video doing nasty stuff the MSM lapped it up and vomited it out as truth.

How about we try again. Here's one from the University of Missouri from 2015.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/e...a58056c47.html

Note that without the YouTube video it would have been a "he said, she said" situation and probably nothing would have happened. Note also that although her actions are indefensible imo, she got hired at another university. Why am I not surprised? ;-)
                        The only way to deal with this is to cut off funding to schools who hire and protect such professors. Berkely got something like 350 million dollars in federal funding. Schools that decline to arrest and prosecute their professors, students and anarchist agitator rioters lose funding until such time as they can demonstrate that free speech is something that they are willing to protect. I am sure that Governor Brown will be willing to take up the slack in funding thus created. Such a measure would cost the university of California billions of dollars and would probably induce all the researchers who pull in all that funding to relocated to schools who are less politically correct. Don't feed your enemies.

Comment

Trumpowsky Attack is 1.d4 Nf6 2.Bg5

Comment

That's good Kerry, keep being vigilant. From your earlier reply to Tom, it sounded as if you had bought the farm, lock stock and barrel, just by seeing the video. I think whenever someone tries using Youtube video as evidence of something, we should point out the foolishness of that instead of anything resembling an "OMG!" reaction.

Just to be clear, I do not actually believe 100% the video to BE fake, but I believe it strongly POSSIBLE for it to be fake. And even if the woman professor is for real, the more telling story is the reaction of the other protesters: very lukewarm, as if they really didn't expect that outburst at all and didn't for the most part agree with it.
                            Of course there is a possibility that it is fake (I am probably more skeptical about its veracity than you are). There is a possibility that many of the Trump followers "gotchas" caught on tape are ALSO fake. The point is that when someone points out alleged bad behaviour by a Trump-follower the MSM is very willing to believe it and broadcast it. If it is by a Leftist, they generally aren't. It's a stunning hypocrisy.

I just had a chat on Facebook with a friend of mine. He is convinced that alt-right spokesman and Trump supporter Milo Yiannopolous is engaged in hate speech even though he has never seen him for more than a minute. Why? Because of hate speech laws in Canada (different, and worse (imo) than in the US) and because the MSM calls him a white supremacist, at least until Yiannopolous demanded a retraction.
                            Last edited by Tom O'Donnell; Friday, 3rd February, 2017, 11:18 PM.

Comment

removed duplicate

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                                Gentlemen! This bickering is unseemly. I think it's time that all of us took a moment to remember the victims of the Bowling Green Massacre.

: l

https://onsizzle.com/i/fbi-foils-fbi...r-plot-4334136

Comment

Working...
                                X