X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 CYCC & Canadian Open - ssmchess.ca

Originally posted by Andrew Peredun View Post
    Bob,

We're planning to post as soon as we receive official confirmation from a few more of our invited players who have accepted and are obtaining visas or other required documents.

The current top seed among confirmed players is Ukrainian GM Andriy Vovk (2637 FIDE), who will also be giving a simul on the Friday evening before the tournament begins (after round 4 of the CYCC).
    Hi Andrew:

Thanks...........wasn't myself pushing for an early posting .......... it was more that a target had come and gone, and I felt it good to get it back on whatever track was reasonable for you guys......eliminates unnecessary griping.

Bob A

Comment

We have a facebook page up at www.facebook.com/ssmchess/ which will be updated with information about the tournament & host city.

Comment

I like the idea of a Master section, but sadly this only has a 9 day option. Also, I have no idea who is playing, unless it is posted somewhere. The 1st deadline for entries is approaching and I hate paying late fees, but also I do not like entering without knowing who has registered. Looks like potentially a great tournament. Good luck.

Comment

Unfortunately, having multiple schedules in the top section would invalidate any norms obtained. We verified this with FIDE (through Hal Bond).

A list of confirmed GMs and IMs can be found at http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...-Canadian-Open

Comment

Isn't the top section or the master section a 9 day tournament only ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
              Isn't the top section or the master section a 9 day tournament only ?
              Correct. The other sections (U2200, U1800, U1400) have an option to play 9 or 6 day (merging for the last three days to compete for the same prizes) but this is not permitted if you want to retain norm possibilities, so the top section is 9 day only.

Comment

Andrew, it is very strange that the World Open June 30th to July 4, gives norms for a 5 day event with nine rounds and we can't for a 6 day event with 9 rounds. I wonder what is the difference? This is their ad.
                JUNE 29-JULY 4, JUNE 30-JULY 4, JULY 1-4 or 2-4: 45th annual WORLD OPEN . 9 rounds at Philadelphia Downtown Marriott. $225,000 GUARANTEED PRIZES! GM and IM norms possible in Open Section.

Comment

The World Open top section has only that one option in order to satsfy FIDE requirements. Unlike the other sections there are no other multi-day options nor re-entry possibilities. So the Canadian Open top section could be 9 day or 6 day but not a mixture of both.
                  Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Sunday, 28th May, 2017, 08:27 PM.

Comment

As Hugh indicated, the top section of the world open does not have multiple schedule options. The problem isn't 2 games per day, it's merging schedules which violates the FIDE norm rule about pairings potentially being advantageous to one player (or group of players) over others.

We had to choose between a 9 day or 6 day (only) for the master section, and we went with both Canadian Open tradition and the preference of many strong players to play a one round a day event.

Comment

Okay, thanks Andrew and Hugh for the quick response. It looks like a great tournament, and I always hated the one section Canadian Open. Sadly, I don't think I have time to play, but good luck.

Comment

Where is the pre-registered list???

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                          Where is the pre-registered list???
                          Is there a 'please' with that?

Signed,

Captain Manners
                          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                            Is there a 'please' with that?

Signed,

Captain Manners
                            Excellent! I tip my hat to you sir! Like I teach my kids it feels good to be nice!

Signed,

Mister Manners

Comment

Preregistered lists for both events are now up on our facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/ssmchess/

217 registered for CYCC so far!

Comment

The lists are a bit awkward to browse through - some have no titles at all, so you don't know what group they belong to. U2200 seems to be on two images. Can you put them in alphabetical and/or rating order? Put a large title at the top of each image. Rather than an album of photos, make a separate post for each group/section with the respective photo attached. You can edit/replace each post as entries are updated.

Comment

Working...
                                X