Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A new policy for Chesstalk beginning Jan 1, 2018

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
    By the same toiken, I assume that the ACA should pay the $100 and that the Banff Open would be under the ACA umbrella?
    Or the GTCL, for Toronto events?
    Or OCA?
    I am not sure how popular this will be with individual organizers. Being charged for something that they used to be able to do for free.
    Alex F.

Comment

Alex you will be charged for your events and Ian you will be charged for your events. No umbrellas for everyone so bring your own :)

Comment

Re : A new policy for Chesstalk beginning Jan 1, 2018

What about updating the pre-registered list of an event? I often do this on Chesstalk for the FQE events, but the FQE never asked me to do so. For me, this is chess news, not chess ad.

Comment

Re: Re : A new policy for Chesstalk beginning Jan 1, 2018

For me this is promoting your event.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : A new policy for Chesstalk beginning Jan 1, 2018

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
            For me this is promoting your event.
            Then in the future, after registering to any event organized by the FQE, Chesstalkers should go directly to the FQE website to check if they are in the pre-registered list. The FQE will not pay to make this information available elsewhere.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : A new policy for Chesstalk beginning Jan 1, 2018

If there is no value in advertising on this site...why do you do it?

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : A new policy for Chesstalk beginning Jan 1, 2018

If there is no value in advertising on this site...why do you do it?
                My job is to spread general chess information among the public. I decided to use this site because I believe I can reach more people this way. But you can understand that I will never take money from my own pocket to write here.

As I said before, the FQE never asked me to put advertisements on this site (or any other). Most of the time, the FQE does not even know that I leave messages here. Quite obviously, they will not pay for something they never ask me to do.

By the way, will you allow the posting of results or game scores during or after a FQE event? This is promotion too.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : A new policy for Chesstalk beginning Jan 1, 2018

So are you speaking for Louis Morin or the FQE...sorry but I am a little confused...you realize of course that we are talking about $20 per event or $100 a year...and the FQE gets over $100,000 a year from the Quebec government to promote chess in the province...I realize for Louis $100 a year is a major decision, but for the FQE...really?!

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : A new policy for Chesstalk beginning Jan 1, 2018

So are you speaking for Louis Morin or the FQE...sorry but I am a little confused...you realize of course that we are talking about $20 per event or $100 a year...and the FQE gets over $100,000 a year from the Quebec government to promote chess in the province...I realize for Louis $100 a year is a major decision, but for the FQE...really?!
                    I am the one who writes on Chesstalk, not the FQE. If you don't want me to write anymore, I won't. One thing is sure, I will not pay to contribute to your chess forum. Maybe I should be the one asking $100 a year.

Comment

Maybe now is the time for the organizers to use the CFC free listing service from http://chess.ca/tournaments

Comment

Don't forget to mention ... TDs & Orgs should provide their services for free ... IM & GM tournament entrance free ... anything else? It's Christmas time ... go ahead.

How about ... free chess books?

Comment

Re : Re: A new policy for Chesstalk beginning Jan 1, 2018

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                          Don't forget to mention ... TDs & Orgs should provide their services for free ... IM & GM tournament entrance free ... anything else? It's Christmas time ... go ahead.

How about ... free chess books?
                          I do not understand this post.

Except for Chess and Math Association, chess organization is not a lucrative business. Most organizers are happy when they barely manage to break even, and many know in advance that they will lose money in the process. This is why asking them to pay for "promoting their event on Chesstalk" is ludicrous.

By the way, IMs and GMs do get free entry in many tournaments, and GMs even get paid to play in opens... not only at Christmas time, but all year long.

And hundreds of free e-books are available online.

So... what's the point of this post?

Comment

Re: Re : Re: A new policy for Chesstalk beginning Jan 1, 2018

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post

... asking them to pay for "promoting their event on Chesstalk" is ludicrous.

this whole thread reminds me of Cafe En Passent in Montreal back in the day. When I first moved to Montreal, the Cafe only charged for food & pinball. The chess players who filled the establishment paid nothing. Eventually the owner decided to charge for rental of sets and the right to play, presumably because the economics of running a commercial establishment on the basis of selling one sandwich to one chessplayer out of every 50 who walked throught the joint and played for hours wasn't very good. But lots of sturm und drang on that decision too. Why, I'll never play there again! It's outrageous! yada yada yada.

The reputation chess players have for being cheap seems well founded in fact.

Anyway, the economics of paying Larry $20/event or $100/year seems pretty simple. Does advertising on Chess Talk bring in one more entry? Yes/no? That entry will pay for the advertising. There might be some ambiguity about what constitutes a single organization for the purposes of the $100/year but people of good conscience can figure out the spirit of the rule. Not to mention that the budget for most of my events is from $4000-$12000 each so spending a lot of time worrying about $20 doesn't seem worthwhile.

As for the "free" advertising by the CFC on the website and also in the e-bulletin, my estimation of that is that it is questionable value - so much so that it's not worth my time to place the ad. I haven't read the bulletin in a while but those I have seen did not have many or any advertisements for events so I guess other tournament organizers agree with me on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post

Except for Chess and Math Association, chess organization is not a lucrative business. Most organizers are happy when they barely manage to break even, and many know in advance that they will lose money in the process. This is why asking them to pay for "promoting their event on Chesstalk" is ludicrous.

By the way, IMs and GMs do get free entry in many tournaments, and GMs even get paid to play in opens... not only at Christmas time, but all year long.

And hundreds of free e-books are available online.

So... what's the point of this post?
                              Neil was mocking people who disagree with Larry's decision to start charging a fee for tournament announcements...
                              Neil's premise is that chess should be a business (if I am wrong about this, please jump in here Neil...)

My personal opinion is that Larry is wasting his time with this and will not reap much money because (as Roger points out) chess players are cheap as cheap can be.
                              Chesstalk is a free service provided by CMA to promote Strategy Games sales etc. If it isn't doing that for the cost then CMA should shut it down. As often as I post here
                              and waste time reading nearly all of the posts, I would almost welcome that move since it would force me to stop wasting time here... :)
                              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I agree with many posters here.

A forum like chesstalk should be used as a "display" for the business behind it. All discussion boards on the web work like that.

You start charging for tournaments announcement? You're gonna lose posters. You start attacking people with malware like coinhive? You're gonna lose posters.

Comment

Working...
                                X