Banff Open Nov 10-12 - $500 increase to 1st prize! $1000 minimum 1st prize guarantee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banff Open Nov 10-12 - $500 increase to 1st prize! $1000 minimum 1st prize guarantee

I am thrilled to announce a donation of $500 to be added to the 1st prize of the Banff Open Nov 10-12 by an anonymous donor. In addition in case of a tie for 1st place, there will be a Armageddon to determine a clear 1st place winner who will receive the $500 donation with rest of the price money split between those who tied for first.

The website is in the process of being updated and once again we are limited to 100 players. The Banff Open, all entry fees go back as prizes except for $5 per player which goes back to the ACA. Since the ACA contributes much more than this to our tournament, this is fair. We also have another donation of $200 going to the general prize fund. Estimated sponsorship is about $8000 (about $5000 implied for discounted pricing) for our tournament although most of that goes towards paying for our expenses, but now $700 will be going to prize fund.

Since the $500 donation is to go directly to 1st place, and last year 1st prize was $600, meaning it would have been $1100 I am personally guaranteeing a minimum $1000 1st prize (after donation). It should be more than this, but 1st prize will be top heavy this year as per our donor's wishes.

With free coffee and snacks before each round, a free Wine and Cheese Party at the mansion of the Banff Centre President, with live entertainment, Bobbleheads of Eric Hanson and Anton Kovalyov displayed at Wine and Cheese party, this event should not be missed. Sadly, I only have 2 more years in Banff, so this tournament as it is now, will not last forever.

Sign up soon for this EPIC chess event. Booking code for discounted chess rates at Banff Centre will also be updated soon on website.
    Last edited by Ian Findlay; Wednesday, 23rd May, 2018, 09:51 PM.

I am happy to announce that I received a cheque today for $300 from CUPE Local 4318 which will be added to our prize fund. Initially it was only supposed to be $200. Our pre-registered player list is up to 31 players, including International Master Brian Hartman, WIM Agnieszka Matras-Clement, and the 2018 Canadian Senior Champion, yours truly FM Ian Findlay. http://www.albertachess.org/2018BO.php

Comment

I assume Neil Frarey (and the SOCA) will be making his usual donation?

Comment

Hi Ian - very nice to see you back in chess as both a player & organizer - keep on truck'n'!

Comment

I am happy to announce that CM Rafael Arruebarrena rated 2358 has entered the Banff Open and is currently 2nd seed He will be competing with IM Brian Hartman, WIM Agnieszka Matras-Clement and myself, FM Ian Findlay. We are up to 38 advance entries with is quite a bit ahead of last years' pre-registered numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            I assume Neil Frarey (and the SOCA) will be making his usual donation?
            This year, Neil and SoCA will be donating 2 bobbleheads. One will be of Anton Kovalyov and one of Eric Hanson. These 2 bobbleheads will be on display during the tournament and will be given out as special prizes to be announced at the tournament. Pictures will be taken and posted on Facebook. According to Neil this is the first time a chess player has been made into a bobblehead. They could turn into collector's items.

Thank you Neil and SoCA of your continued and generous support of the Banff Open!

Tournament is Nov 10-12. 44 players pre-registered. Now is the time to start planning your trip to Banff. Register here. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Comment

I am happy to announce we have now hit 50 pre-registered players. The tournament is less than 2 months away and lots of time to register, unless we hit 100 players at which point registration will be closed. http://www.albertachess.org/2018BO.php

Neil has told me some good news, in that the bobblehead for our tournament will be very high quality. Sadly though, it means that we can only have 1 bobblehead for Anton Kovalyov and no Eric Hansen bobblehead. I am thinking of giving this away as a special prize. Maybe a biggest upset prize? Usually a brilliancy prize requires too much work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Hi Ian, just wonderful to be able to play in your space once again this year ... thank you for that.

Currently waiting on the 1st sculpted proof, which should be arriving next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
                  Neil has told me some good news, in that the bobblehead for our tournament will be very high quality. Sadly though, it means that we can only have 1 bobblehead for Anton Kovalyov and no Eric Hansen bobblehead. I am thinking of giving this away as a special prize. Maybe a biggest upset prize? Usually a brilliancy prize requires too much work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
                  I can imagine most players' participation was largely dependent on the production of the Eric Hansen bobblehead. Is there any way we can reach a compromise in light of this tragic news? Perhaps auction off a bar of soap with Eric's face on it, or set up a Henna ink station for players to more directly let Eric "get under their skin" ?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post

I can imagine most players' participation was largely dependent on the production of the Eric Hansen bobblehead. Is there any way we can reach a compromise in light of this tragic news? Perhaps auction off a bar of soap with Eric's face on it, or set up a Henna ink station for players to more directly let Eric "get under their skin" ?

Thanks in advance.
                    Chessbrahs have an extra liter or two of Eau de Eric? Why not donate that to the B.O.?

Smell like a GM ... Eau de Eric

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Thanks guys for your suggestions. Eric was very generous for giving us his permission to produce a bobblehead and we thank him for his support. We also thank Anton.
                      This is just meant as a fun way to promote our event like the fortune cookies were last year. Thank you SoCA for your original ideas for sponsorship! The good news is that we are up to 62 advance entries! I hope that we can grow enough so we can one day offer Canadian IM's or GM's some conditions to play. It is hard to make a living as a chess player in Canada! We are on the brink of hitting a critical mass to do this. It would be a nice way to welcome Alberta's 2 gms - Aman and Eric.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
                        Thank you SoCA for your original ideas for sponsorship! The good news is that we are up to 62 advance entries!
                        Most welcome Ian ... great to see the growth and to be a tiny part of that.

So what's critical mass for your Banff Open wine & cheese? :) !

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

Most welcome Ian ... great to see the growth and to be a tiny part of that.

So what's critical mass for your Banff Open wine & cheese? :) !

Good question. My wife thinks we should have players RSVP. That would be a first. Entries have just hit 70. We have a limit of 100 players, so hopefully we will not have to turn anyone away.
                          We host about 120 people at our house for a brunch for the Banff Ball, so we should be okay.

Comment

Beautiful!
                            Last edited by Neil Frarey; Tuesday, 9th October, 2018, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Oh ya ... forgot to mention ...

https://societyofchessaficionados.co...bobblehead.jpg

...oops ... my bad.

;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X