X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egidijus Zeromskis
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew J Colvin View Post
    Aurora Chess Club would have definitely organized it better!!
    Nope, Aucc has stamina for only two days LOL

Leave a comment:

• Andrew J Colvin
    replied
    Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Regarding pairings for U18.

Some clarification/info needed about Adnan Habib - he got two "-" in first two rounds and later removed from the tournament. What were reasons for "-"?
    Also Johnson Damian got a 1/2 bye. I think that 1/2 byes shall not be given in national championships at all.

What was the reason of the -+ in Round 7 for
    It was very weird how the whole section was paired. Adnan Habib never showed up to the tournament, so It was very confusing to why he was paired for round 2. Also Damian Johnson shouldn't get a half point bye, and never showed up to round 7 ( Why there was a forfeit ). Aurora Chess Club would have definitely organized it better!!

Leave a comment:

• Egidijus Zeromskis
    replied
    Regarding pairings for U18.

Some clarification/info needed about Adnan Habib - he got two "-" in first two rounds and later removed from the tournament. What were reasons for "-"?
    Also Johnson Damian got a 1/2 bye. I think that 1/2 byes shall not be given in national championships at all.

What was the reason of the -+ in Round 7 for

Leave a comment:

• Andrew J Colvin
    replied
    Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post

The highest of the relative pairing criteria (which "should be fulfilled as much as possible") states "The difference of the scores of two players paired against each other should be as small as possible and ideally zero." Your scenario introduces an extra 2.0 points difference into the pairings (McGovern 3.0 - Zhu 4.5 and Saine 3.5 - Miller 3.0), which makes the actual pairings preferable.

Yes, the actual pairings may not seem 'fair' but they are correct (also reproduced by the usual pairing program in Canada, SwissSys). The ideal would be a double round robin where you get to meet each player with both colours; in a Swiss the pairings are going to favour some players and disadvantage others - this is just an extreme example.
    Seems weird that the swiss pairing system values difference in score over how many points a player getting a bye has. However, thank you for clarifying the situation.

Leave a comment:

• Stephen Wright
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew J Colvin View Post

Couldn't Dennis Tran have gotten the bye, Michael McGovern face Brandon Zhu, and Zachary Saine face Reuben Miller. Seemed awfully suscpicious that the leader ( Who had 4 whites and 2 blacks ) gets a full point bye. Myself and William had to work really hard to win round 7 whilst Brandon had all morning to prepare for the playoff. I hope CYCC can review this situation.
    The highest of the relative pairing criteria (which "should be fulfilled as much as possible") states "The difference of the scores of two players paired against each other should be as small as possible and ideally zero." Your scenario introduces an extra 2.0 points difference into the pairings (McGovern 3.0 - Zhu 4.5 and Saine 3.5 - Miller 3.0), which makes the actual pairings preferable.

Yes, the actual pairings may not seem 'fair' but they are correct (also reproduced by the usual pairing program in Canada, SwissSys). The ideal would be a double round robin where you get to meet each player with both colours; in a Swiss the pairings are going to favour some players and disadvantage others - this is just an extreme example.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew J Colvin
    replied

Looks more or less forced. Miller and Horner have wins by forfeit and are not eligible for a full-point bye, so someone in the top six has to receive the bye. Andrew playing Yoakim is fine. Brandon has played all the rest on 3.5 up except Michael, but if you pair them together William has no one to play from the same pool and would receive the bye. Brandon and Michael are both majorly due Black, therefore best is to pair William and Michael and give Brandon the bye.
    Couldn't Dennis Tran have gotten the bye, Michael McGovern face Brandon Zhu, and Zachary Saine face Reuben Miller. Seemed awfully suscpicious that the leader ( Who had 4 whites and 2 blacks ) gets a full point bye. Myself and William had to work really hard to win round 7 whilst Brandon had all morning to prepare for the playoff. I hope CYCC can review this situation.

Leave a comment:

• Vadim Tsypin
    replied
    Originally posted by William Li View Post
    Anywhere I can find the photo gallery for this CYCC?

Thanks.
    Hello William,

A gallery by our wonderful official photographer Victoria Doknjas from B.C.

Photos from the closing ceremony courtesy of a long-time Team Canada photographer Toto Surya from Ontario.

Much thanks to Victoria and Toto. Enjoy!

Edit: And here is the most comprehensive gallery by Victoria Doknjas on the official FQE site. Appreciate a lot Victoria your posting everything so quickly despite a very intense day.
    Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; Friday, 6th July, 2018, 01:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• William Li
    replied
    Anywhere I can find the photo gallery for this CYCC?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Vadim Tsypin
    replied
    The list of wonderful volunteers from all across Canada who made this record-breaking CYCC so successful.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Starks
    replied
    Originally posted by Tony Li View Post
    Sorry does anyone know where/if I can find the games? Also, are the players mostly playing for first?
    Some of the games:

http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/regions/cl...club=&id=13572

Leave a comment:

• John Coleman
    replied
    Originally posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
    The list of the 2018 Canadian Youth champions and medalists is published.
    Umm... where? The link you gave is to a previous ChessTalk thread.

Edit: oops, I had to scroll down. Sorry. I was expecting to find the list on the CYCC website.

Leave a comment:

• Vadim Tsypin
    replied
    The list of the 2018 Canadian Youth champions and medalists is published.

Thanks to all volunteers, players, parents and officials for a successful and memorable event!

Leave a comment:

• Vadim Tsypin
    replied
    CYCC playoff info announced.

Leave a comment:

• Jeffrey Xu
    replied

Looks more or less forced. Miller and Horner have wins by forfeit and are not eligible for a full-point bye, so someone in the top six has to receive the bye. Andrew playing Yoakim is fine. Brandon has played all the rest on 3.5 up except Michael, but if you pair them together William has no one to play from the same pool and would receive the bye. Brandon and Michael are both majorly due Black, therefore best is to pair William and Michael and give Brandon the bye.
    I see, thanks

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Brodie
    replied
    Originally posted by Tony Li View Post
    Sorry does anyone know where/if I can find the games? Also, are the players mostly playing for first?
    Assuming they are using NCR scoresheets - I (and others) will be entering them at some point, although it may take several weeks for everything to be entered.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X