Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Cohen
    replied
    (I wasn't referring to Canadian chess books, but a big thank you to everyone who pointed out the new Canadian chess books!)

I read another 19 chess books in 2019!

I was browsing for chess books in Fred Wilson's shop and he asks, by the way, have you read the best chess book ever written? What's that? And he reaches up and hands me down ... his book!

Profile of a Prodigy: The Life and Games of Bobby Fischer, revised 2nd ed. Frank Brady
    Endgame Frank Brady
    The Grandmaster: Magnus Carlsen and the match that made chess great again Brin-Jonathan Butler
    1 Move Checkmates: 200 instructive and challenging mates for beginners! Eric Schiller
    100 easy checkmates: 1 and 2 move checkmates to challenge your skills Larry Evans
    Checkmate!: My first chess book Gary Kasparov
    Bobby Fischer Goes to War: How the Soviets lost the most extraordinary chess match of all time David Edmonds, John Eidinow
    Turning Advantage into Victory in Chess Andrew Soltis
    Simple Attacking Plans Fred Wilson
    Simple Chess, algebraic ed. Michael Stean, ed. Fred Wilson
    Chess: East and West, Past and Present Charles Wilkinson, Jessie McNab Dennis
    World Chess Championship 1957 Harry Golombek
    100 Endgames You Must Know, 5th ed. Jesus de la Villa
    Charousek's Games of Chess, corrected 2nd ed. Philip Sergeant, ed. Fred Wilson
    Combat: My 50 Years at the Chess Board Sidney Bernstein
    All the wrong moves: a memoir about chess, love, and ruining everything Alexander (Sasha) Chapin
    Averbakh's Selected Games Yuri Averbakh

... and a couple of others. I enjoyed them all, but liked the Averbakh book best.

Leave a comment:

• Louis Morin
    replied
    Just out off the press: "The Chess Player's Master Playbook: Develop your situational awareness" by John Bleau. Listed on Amazon (ISBN 1499307985). There is a French version as well.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Komer
    replied
    I just read my 300th chess book

March 28, 2019

Another Canadian book to be added to David Cohen’s list:

Bareev, Evgeny – Say No to Chess Principles , Thinker’s Publishing 2019

For more details see:

https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/ch...ss-books/page2

Entry #22

Leave a comment:

• Vlad Drkulec
    replied
    I was slightly surprised to see that Liza Orlova has published a chess book entitled "Chess for Beginners: Know the Rules, Choose Your Strategy and Start Winning". I'm not sure of the publishing date but it appears to be available now. The last year or two has seen lots of young Canadian Players publish books. I just got Joshua and John Doknjas's book on the Najdorf Sicilian.

Leave a comment:

• Ken MacDonald
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post

January 14, 2019

With my rather loose definition of a “Canadian” chess book, we may include two by Evgeny Bareev, whom I suppose is now a Canadian citizen

In American Chess Magazine, Issue # 6, there is an ad for the book, The Sicilian: Thematic Sacrifices and Attacks by Jean Hébert.

Leave a comment:

• David Cohen
    replied
    After the first 300, I've read 3 more (Profile of a Prodigy, 2nd ed. and Endgame by Frank Brady; and the following).

Here's another book by a Canadian, a chess playing sports journalist from Vancouver:

The Grandmaster: Magnus Carlsen and the match that made chess great again by Brin-Jonathan Butler, hardcover, 2018.

It's about the 2016 World Championship match Carlsen-Karjakin. Great stuff as he explores the winners, losers and oddballs of the chess world to compare them to Carlsen.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Komer
    replied

January 14, 2019

With my rather loose definition of a “Canadian” chess book, we may include two by Evgeny Bareev, whom I suppose is now a Canadian citizen

Two by Evgeny Bareev

SKA-Turnier Munchen 1994
    with Raj Tishbierek
    Sportverlag, Berlin 1994

From London to Elista
    with Ilya Levitov
    New in Chess
    Alkmaar, 2007

Leave a comment:

• David Cohen
    replied
    Thanks everyone for your info for my list of Canadian chess books! I'll update it as I get time.

I read the 300 books cover to cover. Favourites are any book by Irving Chernev and Edmar Mednis. Also, autobiographical best game collections, like Tartakower's 2 volumes.

Regards,

David

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Komer
    replied
    I just read my 300thchess book

January 2, 2019

I would say that a work would have to have a strong Canadian connection to be included in the list if it were by a non-Canadian.

I am aware that nationality and invention can be controversial. One has only to look at Alexander Graham Bell, who was born in Scotland, lived and worked in both Brantford, Ontario and in Boston. Where did he invent the telephone?

Cyrus Lakdawala was born in India on 10 October, 1960, grew up in Montreal and has lived since the late 1970s in San Diego.

To date he has published more than 30 chess books – among them: Caruana, move by move, How Ulf beats black, Chess for hawks,Anti-Sicilians, move by moveand Capablanca, move by move. All these between 2010 and present.

I really see nothing there that gives him a strong Canadian connection.

Leave a comment:

• Stephen Wright
    replied
    Two more:

Man vs. Machine by Karsten Müller and Jonathan Schaeffer
    https://en.chessbase.com/post/vladim...man-vs-machine

Unconventional Chess by Some Loser
    http://www.bcchesshistory.com/reviews.html#unortho

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Brodie
    replied
    Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
    that list of david Cohen’s also includes an enormous number of books by someone called David Lonsdale (some are probably duplicated as well under the e books section). Never heard of him.... Is he a well known author / player that I’m just ignorant about?
    David Lonsdale lists himself as being from Toronto. There is a player of that name with a CFC rating of 1248 - inactive since 1997. He finished 193rd with 1.5/10 in the 1988 Canadian Open (Scarborough).

"The author of 59 chess monographs as of February, 2013."

From http://kenilworthian.blogspot.com/20...graphy_12.html (scroll down):

"David Robert Lonsdale (2005). The Elephant Gambit for Black – 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d5!? Self-published. A 44 page, totally worthless data-dump. This is only slightly more useful than the work of Michael Raphael listed above. But there is really no reason for such books to exist in the digital age -- other than to make money for the author."

He has a blog which hasn't been updated since 2017:
    http://david-lonsdale.blogspot.com/

Leave a comment:

• Roger Patterson
    replied
    that list of david Cohen’s also includes an enormous number of books by someone called David Lonsdale (some are probably duplicated as well under the e books section). Never heard of him.... Is he a well known author / player that I’m just ignorant about?

Leave a comment:

• Roger Patterson
    replied

January 1, 2019

Canadian Chess Books

What is a Canadian chess book? I would say that:
    1. It has a Canadian player as its subject
    2. It is written by a Canadian
    3. It is a tournament book from a Canadian event

For the moment, I set aside Canadian chess periodicals.

Then, if you go to the canadianchess.info site, David Cohen has listed all the Canadian chess books and booklets from 1864 to 2013.

http://www.canadianchess.info/canadi...lications.html

My count of the items in that list is 430 , the last one being Feodor Bohatirchuk, Volume 2, 1935-1984 by Sergei Voronkov (2013).

If anyone has a title after this date, then we can update the list in this thread.

Three books that come to mind for inclusion are The Chess Attacker’s Handbook by Song and Preotu, Kurt Richter by Alan McGowan and My Adventures in the Chess World by Jonathan MacDonald.

But who counts as Canadian? That list includes works for example by Murray Campbell and Peter Biyassis, neither of whom have lived in Canada for a long time (or at the time some of those works were published) but as far as I can tell nothing by Cyrus Lackdawala (well known to Montreal players of a certain vintage)

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Komer
    replied

January 1, 2019

Thank you, Egidijus. We can add these eight books to David Cohen’s list:

David Cummings Open Repertoire: The English 2017
    Raja Panjwani The Hyper Accelerated Dragon 2017
    John and Joshua Doknjas The Sicilian Najdorf 2019
    George Huczek A to Z Chess Tactics 2017
    Jean Hebert The Sicilian: Thematic Sacrifices and Attacks 2017
    Michael Song and Razvan Preotu The Chess Attacker’s Handbook 2017

See: http://chess.ca/newsfeed/node/1080

Alan McGowan Kurt Richter 2018

https://mcfarlandbooks.com/product/kurt-richter/

Yelizaveta Orlova Chess for Beginners: Know the Rules, Choose Your Strategy, and Start Winning 2018

See: https://www.amazon.com/Chess-Beginne.../dp/1641522577

Leave a comment:

• Egidijus Zeromskis
    replied
    If anyone has a title after this date, then we can update the list in this thread.

Three books that come to mind for inclusion are The Chess Attacker’s Handbook by Song and Preotu, Kurt Richter by Alan McGowan and My Adventures in the Chess World by Jonathan MacDonald.
    Cumming about English
    Panjwani about Dragon
    Doknjas about Najdorf

Orlova's book for novice players.

One from future:
    Жан Эбер (Hebert): Типовые жертвы в сицилианской защите (Typical Sacrifices in Sicilian Defense)

http://www.chessm.ru/catalog/show/9599

Leave a comment:

Working...
X