Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hal Bond
    replied
    Hey Gordon! Got your entry on the weekend. Welcome aboard!

Leave a comment:

• Gordon Gooding
    replied
    Hey Hal, I need to play in a chess tourney on the weekend of Apr 13th, got a chance to poke my head into the chess tournament playing scene for a little while, any recommendations?

Leave a comment:

• Hal Bond
    replied
    We have 40 player registered now with one week to go. You can still register with an e-transfer to my address, halbond@sympatico.ca . The Pro Section is $80, other sections are $60.

Pro Section

1 IM Tangi Migot
    2 Ian Loadman
    3 Eddie Xu
    4 Andrew Colvin
    5 Arul Papneja

U2000 Section
    # Name Tot
    1 Aris Marghetis
    2 David G Plaxton
    3 Scott Kuehl
    4 Robert Gillanders
    5 Michael von Keitz
    6 Ronan Uthayakumar
    7 Justin Manchester
    8 Brendan Cater
    9 Tim Knechtel
    10 Hal Bond

U1700 Section

1 Undriadi Benggawan
    2 Victor Lefort
    3 Avery Jones
    4 Ryan Livingstone
    5 Henry Hughes
    6 Jack Cloete
    7 Stefan Szpular
    8 Johnson Zixuan Zhou
    9 David R. Williams

U1400 Section

1 Daniel Caron
    2 Anya Singh
    3 Nathan He
    4 Zsolt Kormendi
    5 Bruce Hurst
    6 Jeremy Clark
    7 Tawsif Saleheen

U1000 Section

1 Uthayan Rajadura
    2 Ashley Caron
    3 Sato Morin
    4 Robert Kormendi
    5 Kuni Morin
    6 Brian Cameron
    7 Kevin Caron
    8 Fred Xiang
    9 Sean Kuehl

Leave a comment:

• Erik Malmsten
    replied
    Originally posted by Mario Moran-Venegas View Post

Thanks Henri for the feedback.

The average tournament day for slow time controls would see at most 600 games played in a 10 to 12 hour period.
    As the OCC 2018 link Francis provided shows : at least 541x5= 2605 games were played in a 7 hour period. For many it was their first tournament as Kindergarten children are automatically accepted. Chaotic perhaps was the feeling but we would not have succeeded without the direction underneath that chaos.
    At large events like this it seems that there is a need for more space outside the playing hall than inside. When I was in kindergarten the teachers rang the bell FIVE minutes before school and the students, two deep, lined up. But that was in a large school yard, not hallways full of camped out families. Volunteer parents need to step up to organize the hallway traffic before the pairings are up.

I've been late many times at Guelph (socializing with the locals, having lunch downtown, fell asleep on a couch) and luckily, Hal let me in.

Leave a comment:

• Henri Hughes
    replied
    and your right John lets keep it to the proam from now on :)

Leave a comment:

• Henri Hughes
    replied
    Originally posted by John Brown View Post
    If Henry is complaining about not getting into playing hall . Then stop being late. I attended one of those big events and I saw nothing wrong with them.
    But I thought this was a thread for Guelph Pro AM?????
    I agree but for most they don't have tournament experience. there was a lack of clarity to when players could enter the playing hall. therefore the players were confused and didn't go at the right time.

Leave a comment:

• Henri Hughes
    replied
    Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
    You're apparently in Grade 12 now - would you like to volunteer this year and run it perfectly?
    I see you topped your Grade 11 section at the last OCC, so volunteering might work better this year:)

https://chess-math.org/ratings/pairings/12754
    so you cant take recommendations? instead you need to attack my placing in the event? Im sorry I don't see the relativity to what I was talking about?

Leave a comment:

• John Coleman
    replied
    As the OCC 2018 link Francis provided shows : at least 541x5= 2605 games were played in a 7 hour period.
    When I used to play chess, there were two players per game, so the number of games played was about 1300. I believe the time control was 30 minutes per player, so 7 hours does seem a bit long for 5 rounds.

Leave a comment:

• Mario Moran-Venegas
    replied
    Originally posted by Henri Hughes View Post

last year was super chaotic with how it was run, I remember speaking to multiple parents saying there kids weren't able to get into the playing hall at the start of the rounds, I also feel they underestimated how many kids they would have as the boards were crammed next to each other, when playing as I didn't have very much room. my biggest problem was players couldn't get in after the round had started meaning there was no grace period for players a few minutes late
    Thanks Henri for the feedback.

The average tournament day for slow time controls would see at most 600 games played in a 10 to 12 hour period.
    As the OCC 2018 link Francis provided shows : at least 541x5= 2605 games were played in a 7 hour period. For many it was their first tournament as Kindergarten children are automatically accepted. Chaotic perhaps was the feeling but we would not have succeeded without the direction underneath that chaos.

Leave a comment:

• John Brown
    replied
    If Henry is complaining about not getting into playing hall . Then stop being late. I attended one of those big events and I saw nothing wrong with them.
    But I thought this was a thread for Guelph Pro AM?????
    Last edited by John Brown; Wednesday, 3rd April, 2019, 05:28 PM. Reason: Typo

Leave a comment:

• Kerry Liles
    replied
    That seems a little harsh Francis... Henri did describe what he thought some of the problems were - and was not super critical (at least I thought so).
    Maybe there is room for improvement? Obviously the perception of a player is going to be quite different than an organizer or a volunteer, but feedback is presumably ok?

Leave a comment:

• Francis Rodriguez
    replied
    You're apparently in Grade 12 now - would you like to volunteer this year and run it perfectly?
    I see you topped your Grade 11 section at the last OCC, so volunteering might work better this year:)

https://chess-math.org/ratings/pairings/12754

Leave a comment:

• Henri Hughes
    replied
    Originally posted by Mario Moran-Venegas View Post

Oh ,Yeah, What would you change at the OCC?
    last year was super chaotic with how it was run, I remember speaking to multiple parents saying there kids weren't able to get into the playing hall at the start of the rounds, I also feel they underestimated how many kids they would have as the boards were crammed next to each other, when playing as I didn't have very much room. my biggest problem was players couldn't get in after the round had started meaning there was no grace period for players a few minutes late

Leave a comment:

• Mario Moran-Venegas
    replied
    Originally posted by Henri Hughes View Post

would definitely recommend the pro-am over OCC better playing conditions and better run
    Oh ,Yeah, What would you change at the OCC?

Leave a comment:

• Henri Hughes
    replied
    Originally posted by Grey Guo View Post
    Huh, conflict with OCC, will miss this one
    would definitely recommend the pro-am over OCC better playing conditions and better run

Leave a comment:

Working...
X