Lake Huron Pro-Am September 21-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Ffen: I know the Sadler brothers play out of Owen Sound. And there may be other players. I don't know if there is still a formal club.....but last I heard the city hall made a room and sets available for casual chess one day a week.......if you could find out when that was, maybe someone could put a flyer there.

I'm living 1/2 time in Meaford. I have seen articles about some scholastic chess, but know nothing about what is going on there.

I am not at the hobby farm for that weekend. Maybe next time, once you pull off this first one! GL.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
      Hi Ffen: I know the Sadler brothers play out of Owen Sound. And there may be other players. I don't know if there is still a formal club.....but last I heard the city hall made a room and sets available for casual chess one day a week.......if you could find out when that was, maybe someone could put a flyer there.

I'm living 1/2 time in Meaford. I have seen articles about some scholastic chess, but know nothing about what is going on there.

I am not at the hobby farm for that weekend. Maybe next time, once you pull off this first one! GL.

Bob
      Hi Bob,

As I understand it, there is a club in Owen Sound. We had someone from it come to our club a few weeks ago. I don't know the Sadler brothers myself, though. I know some local players have been promoting it there, so perhaps they've heard of us.

Shame you're not in Meaford that weekend!

Jerent

Comment

Hello folks, here's the updated registration list. There's still 4 days to guarantee yourself the discounted group rate at the hotel - details on the website. We have several more members of our local club who will be registering. Now we need the folks reading this to register to make this the first annual of many Lake Huron tournaments to come!

Visit https://www.lakehuronchess.com/register now to register for the tournament.

Registered Players
        IM Tangi Minot (2472)
        FM Eugene Hua (2412)
        FM Hans Jung (2227)
        Michelle Hua (1900)
        Aayush Ajith (1847)
        Ajith Desikan (1803)
        Graham Marshall (1733)
        Mario Moran-Venegas (1761)
        Tim Knechtel (1655)
        Kees Van Aalst (1353)
        Aarush Ajith (1058)
        Jaitra Bhatt (976)
        Kyle Moscone (961)
        Alina Chen (926)
        Gaurav Sheel (875)
        Vedant Sheel (635)
        Nigel Hotton (unr.)

Comment

Hi Folks,

I thought it would be good to give a reminder that today - Friday September 6th - is the last day for you to guarantee yourself a hotel booking at our discounted group rate. We're still very eager to get more registrations to ensure the success of this event, and hopefully turn it into an annual tournament here on the shores of Lake Huron. Our local chess club is very excited at the chance to play some classical time control games against everyone participating from out of town. Register now or contact me if you need more info at info@lakehuronchess.com, or by replying to this post.

As another reminder, Port Elgin has all the amenities you'd expect from a larger city. There are plenty of local independent and chain restaurants and shopping options, as well as other hotel, cottage and Airbnb rentals available. We're looking forward to hosting you at the inaugural (first annual!) Lake Huron Chess ProAm.

The hotel details in case you've forgotten:

Port Elgin Travelodge by Wyndham
          We've reserved a block of rooms at the Travelodge here in Port Elgin, and there are two options:
          • 1 king bed, $107+tax per night
          • 2 queen beds, $117+ tax per night
          The hotel offers 20% off any meals at the attached Sunrise Cafe, which is open daily for breakfast and lunch. The hotel features an indoor pool and hot tub, free wifi, free parking, and all rooms come with a mini fridge and a microwave.

The hotel is a 2-minute drive (1.2 km) from the venue.

Call 519-832-2021 and tell them you're interested in booking a room for the chess tournament.

Comment

That's a great rate for the hotel Jeremy! I am looking forward to the tournament.

Comment

I just might have to sign my son up for this as it is only ten minutes from one of my favourite fishing spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Hack View Post
                I just might have to sign my son up for this as it is only ten minutes from one of my favourite fishing spots.
                We'd love to have you and your son, Tom. Lord knows there's a lot of fishing going on up here most times of the year.

And for anyone else considering registering, we're into crunch-time now, and would love to hear from you!

Comment

Good news folks: The 2019 Lake Huron ProAm is officially a go. Several more people have registered in the last day, and we're very excited to welcome everyone on the 21st. New registrations include Mike Von Keitz and Omar Shah, familiar names to many of you here I'm sure.

In addition to the new registrations, one of our local club members has donated $200 beyond their registration fees to ensure the success of the event, and to help propel it upwards into an annual tournament. As the donation was made in support of the tournament and the club, and not for personal gain, the individual asked that it remain anonymous. So, thanks to our anonymous patron. We are very grateful for it!

There's still time to register, and I hope news that the event will be going ahead will convince any of you who might be on the fence that now is the time to register, which you can do through the website, or by contacting me at info@lakehuronchess.com. Though the official deadline for the group rate at the hotel has passed, they have told me that you can still ask about booking for the chess tournament, and may still receive the discounted rate. And don't forget the hotel always comes with 20% off meals at the attached restaurant.

As always, if anyone has any questions about the event, I'm available to answer here, or by info@lakehuronchess.com.

Comment

The 2019 Lake Huron ProAm is officially a go

>> Great news. I will add this tournament in my" list to go" every year. Never been to Lake Huron and it will be my new place to visit due to chess. There are 1 IM and 2 FMs in the top section and it is definitely such a shame that up and coming juniors will miss out this opportunity to play 3 titled players in one tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
                      The 2019 Lake Huron ProAm is officially a go

>> Great news. I will add this tournament in my" list to go" every year. Never been to Lake Huron and it will be my new place to visit due to chess. There are 1 IM and 2 FMs in the top section and it is definitely such a shame that up and coming juniors will miss out this opportunity to play 3 titled players in one tournament.
                      I'm pretty jazzed to have three titled players in the pro section. Another pro registered a short while ago, which is great. If any of the up-and-comers Gary's mentioned are thinking about it, head over and register on the website and get some games in against some great talent!

As for Lake Huron, the coast is a great place. Might be a bit beyond swimming season, but the town has a great paved trail to walk a long section of the lake, and the sunsets around the corner from my house draw a small crowd every night, even in winter.

Comment

And I'm back again. With only 5 days left before the event, now's the time to register for the 2019 Lake Huron Pro-Am. If you're in need of a hotel for the weekend, give the Travelodge (519-832-2021) here in Port Elgin a call, as there may still have rooms available at the group rate.

Registrations will be accepted until 8pm on Friday, September 20th. Contact me anytime at info@lakehuronchess.com for information. You can register on the website, or email me directly with your details to book your spot at the inaugural Lake Huron Pro-Am!

Comment

The 2019 Lake Huron Chess ProAm is now up to 27 people. Thanks to those who have registered in the past few days. There are just under 3 days left to register, so get your information in now now!

IM Tangi Minot (2472)
                          FM Eugene Hua (2412)
                          FM Hans Jung (2227)
                          Henry Liu (2064)
                          Michelle Hua (1900)
                          Justin Hack (1798)
                          Omar Shah (1791)
                          Michael Von Keitz (1777)
                          Graham Marshall (1733)
                          Hikmet Bosnac (1720)
                          Avery Jones (1660)
                          Tim Knechtel (1655)
                          Raif Meyer (1582)
                          Kees Van Aalst (1353)
                          Allan Brown (1103)
                          Jeremy Clark (1021)
                          Jaitra Bhatt (976)
                          Kyle Moscone (961)
                          Alina Chen (926)
                          Gaurav Sheel (875)
                          Vedant Sheel (635)
                          Abhi Shankar (unr)
                          Givan Bosnac (unr.)
                          Alec Holla (unr.)
                          Nigel Hotton (unr.)
                          Karel Ebenstreit (unr.)

Comment

Glad to see that almost 30 players registered for this maiden tournament in Port Elgin. I am sure there will be many more players in 2020.

I look forward to drive there on early Saturday morning and have a relaxing time for the weekend. I read of good food at Port Elgin and hope to enjoy my trip there. 2.5 hours drive

Comment

With another addition to the Pro section, Eric Ning, we sit at 29 people with one day of registration left. Get your registration to us before 8pm on Friday, September 20th to guarantee yourself a swiss pairing in the first round.

IM Tangi Minot (2472)
                              FM Eugene Hua (2412)
                              FM Hans Jung (2227)
                              Eric Ning (2122)
                              Henry Liu (2064)
                              Michelle Hua (1900)
                              Justin Hack (1798)
                              Omar Shah (1791)
                              Michael Von Keitz (1777)
                              Graham Marshall (1733)
                              Hikmet Bosnac (1720)
                              Avery Jones (1660)
                              Tim Knechtel (1655)
                              Raif Meyer (1582)
                              Kees Van Aalst (1353)
                              Allan Brown (1103)
                              Jeremy Clark (1021)
                              Jaitra Bhatt (976)
                              Kyle Moscone (961)
                              Alina Chen (926)
                              Gaurav Sheel (875)
                              Ram Bajaj (712)
                              Vedant Sheel (635)
                              Abhi Shankar (unr)
                              Givan Bosnac (unr.)
                              Alec Holla (unr.)
                              Nigel Hotton (unr.)
                              Karel Ebenstreit (unr.)

Comment

Today's the day, folks: the last day to register for the 2019 Lake Huron Pro-Am. You can register at the website, and will find accommodation information on there as well.

The address of the venue is:

Ecole Port Elgin Saugeen Central Elementary School
                                504 Catherine Street
                                Port Elgin, ON, N0H 2C1

Use the main entrance, located on Catherine street (East side of the school), to enter - it will be the only unlocked door to get in. There is a parking lot on the other side of the school which you can access from Stafford Street (North side of the school).

You'll see a tournament table in the foyer, and the playing hall and skittles room are nearby.

If you have any questions about getting to Port Elgin or finding the school, let me know.

Comment

Working...
                                X