Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aris Marghetis
    replied
    This isn't a big deal, but can we un-sticky this thread? It's a downer, without time-critical value anymore?

Leave a comment:

• Vadim Tsypin
    replied
    Further to the FIDE Council decision, the Medical Security Policy and Protocol for OTB events is now published.

Leave a comment:

• Vadim Tsypin
    replied
    The FIDE Council decided to postpone to 2021 all but one World Championships originally scheduled for 2020, and to postpone the 2021 competitions to 2022.

Leave a comment:

• Vadim Tsypin
    replied
    The World Youth Chess Championships in Mamaia, Romania.

Leave a comment:

• Vadim Tsypin
    replied
    The World School Chess Championship in Panama City.

Leave a comment:

• Vadim Tsypin
    replied
    The remaining leg (Sardinia) of the FIDE Women's Grand Prix.

Leave a comment:

• Hal Bond
    replied
    The Pro-Am events in Port Elgin (April) and Guelph (June) are both cancelled.

Leave a comment:

• Vadim Tsypin
    replied
    FIDE statement on the Candidates Tournament.

"The results of the 7 rounds played remain valid, and the tournament will be resumed in the same composition starting with the games of the 8th round."

Leave a comment:

• Vadim Tsypin
    replied
    Statement from the FIDE Council regarding the Chess Olympiad.

Leave a comment:

• Vadim Tsypin
    replied
    The Games of the XXXII Olympiad in Tokyo are "rescheduled to a date beyond 2020 but not later than summer 2021."

Leave a comment:

• John Erickson
    replied
    Due to the unfortunate circumstances we are all facing, the 2020 Niagara Falls Open, scheduled for April 18 & 19 has been cancelled. This was done after a lot of discussion. The fact that the venue we have has been shut down, one of the organizers may not be allowed across the border facilitated this decision.

Hopefully there will be a 2021 Niagara Falls Open.

All those who have prepaid their entries will be refunded and those that paid in person will be repaid when I get to see them again.

Take care, be safe and healthy.

John Erickson
    TD
    2020 Niagara Falls Open

Leave a comment:

• Tom O'Donnell
    replied
    Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
    Hang in there Fred, keep positive.

When out and about going into stores, I wear a mask and gloves and use amazon as much as possible.

Fortunately, as this virus cycles through the world there are success stories to note.

We've got to design chess themed masks ...for the next one :))))
    I suggest making one in pink that says Isolani in black with the "I" in the shape of a black pawn.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Frarey
    replied
    Hang in there Fred, keep positive.

When out and about going into stores, I wear a mask and gloves and use amazon as much as possible.

Fortunately, as this virus cycles through the world there are success stories to note.

We've got to design chess themed masks ...for the next one :))))

Leave a comment:

• Fred McKim
    replied
    According to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/, Canada has 241 new case today up from 214 yesterday. As of today, anyone entering PEI from off-Island now has to self-quarantine for 14 days, the other provinces may follow suit.

The situation in Europe is horrible, and near-draconian measures are needed in North America for us not to follow suit. In addition to age, population density seems to play a factor, if you look at the stats for Europe's "tiny" countries.

While I'm only 62, my wife is worried about my health, and even has discouraged me going to the grocery store, as I do have an underlying condition (high blood pressure). In any case, my whole work team is now working from home, so I haven't been really out of the house since last Sunday evening (I somehow managed to get two small chess tournaments in under the wire, last weekend).

The following is just my opinion --> I think it is fair to say all chess tournaments in Canada of more than 4 players are cancelled for at least two months. Things will only return to "normal" when there are just a handful of new cases daily in the country. My next scheduled weekend event is May 30 & 31 - so it is on the cusp.

In the meantime I've moved my chess activities (playing, teaching, and organizing) online (to 3 different servers), even though I have next to no experience doing this.

Fred
    (from the comfort of his couch today, and now everyday).

Leave a comment:

• Egidijus Zeromskis
    replied
    2020 Ontario Open scheduled for the Victoria weekend in Sault Ste. Marie was CANCELLED.

Update - 2021 should take place in Sault Ste. Marie.
    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Saturday, 21st March, 2020, 10:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X