COVID-19 ... how we cope :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a miracle. Looting and rioting cure Covid.
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
      It's a miracle. Looting and rioting cure Covid.
      fantastically darkly wry, well done

Comment

• India has surpassed Italy in total cases (and is in the top 6) and Peru is close behind.

Brazil, Russia, India, and Peru are the new crisis countries and on the edge of being out of control.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
          It's a miracle. Looting and rioting cure Covid.
          Clearly Democratic governors and mayors are more concerned with business people trying to safely earn a living and church goers trying to enjoy their God-given rights. I think these demonstrations and riots puts quit to the notion that some of the measures are anything but the petty tyrants trying to exert their authority.

I find it very interesting that some of the riots which they previously claimed were peaceful protests are now the work of right wing extremists.

On the plus side, Detroit having experienced the aftermath of the 1960s riots did not allow their city to descend into chaos. Some Democrat politicians are not to the bats**t crazy ideology as most of the rest seem to be.

This is all a Democrat conspiracy to re-elect Donald Trump.

Comment

• Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post

My prediction: if SP500 above 3000 in November, Trump wins. If between 2700 and 3000 - unclear. If below 2700 - Biden wins.
            Over 27000 today on surprisingly good jobs reports.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

fantastically darkly wry, well done
              De Blasio has debunked the theory that protesters can get COVID that quickly anyway.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/may...ssive-protests

Comment

• Lancet retracts influential study that claimed hydroxychloroquine increases risk of death

Fake news by fake scientists based on faked data. Cool. They hate Trump so much that they want people to die.

Comment

• New York state has gone over 2% population infected. New Jersey is close behind.

Comment

• Today in Ontario, emergency orders, set to expire on June 9, have been extended for 10 days to June 19.
                    However, earlier this week it was announced the emergency orders were to be extended to June 30.

So this is good news. Bars & Restaurants etc can now open 11 days earlier?

Have I got that correct?

Comment

• Illinois is the seventh state to reach 1% population infected.

Comment

• I've now *OFFICIALLY* seen EVERY movie in the IMDB top 100. Problem, haters?

Comment

• 1) "Best" of the 100? Worst? Your favourite?
                          2) What happens if a new movie is promoted into the top 100?

Personally of the top 100 I've seen, "12 Angry Men" was by far the one I thought was the best.

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
                          I've now *OFFICIALLY* seen EVERY movie in the IMDB top 100. Problem, haters?
                          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

• The States have now moved into 11th place in deaths per capita.
                            Aside from 3 tiny jurisdictions (San Marino, Andorra, Sint Maarten), the countries ahead of the States (in order):
                            Belgium, UK, Spain, Italy, Sweden, France, Netherlands.
                            (isn't it weird how little we hear about Belgium?!)

On another note, as has happened historically since the Spanish Flu, I expect some future analysis will increase death numbers.
                            For example, a family friend passed away on the weekend, perhaps because her cancer surgery was COVID-delayed two months.
                            It seems challenging to perform such a post-analysis effectively? Does anyone here know how they're done, how accurate, etc.

Comment

The States have now moved into 11th place in deaths per capita.
                              Aside from 3 tiny jurisdictions (San Marino, Andorra, Sint Maarten), the countries ahead of the States (in order):

On another note, as has happened historically since the Spanish Flu, I expect some future analysis will increase death numbers.
                              For example, a family friend passed away on the weekend, perhaps because her cancer surgery was COVID-delayed two months.
                              It seems challenging to perform such a post-analysis effectively? Does anyone here know how they're done, how accurate, etc.

I think even if someone could be shown to have died directly because their surgery (for cancer or whatever) was delayed because of covid victims taking up resources needed for the cancer person's surgery...(whew, that was a mouthful)… should NOT be indicated as a covid death. Is that what you are asking about? To be considered as a covid death, one should need to be tested covid positive, imo. I hope this is what authorities are doing.

I'm surprised Sweden is up there in the top deaths per capita, I guess their approach didn't pan out so well. Also surprised not to see Brazil up there, but reliable data isn't coming from Brazil anyway.

Meanwhile, in the U.S. and even Canada we are economically acting as if nothing has happened. Here's some choice excerpts from a story out yesterday:

"(Reuters) - On the same day that the Nasdaq marked a new bull market, the U.S. economy was officially declared to be in a recession. The two milestones on Monday illustrate how an 11-week surge in stocks has occurred despite widespread economic devastation fueled by the coronavirus pandemic.

Wall Street for months has appeared to ignore grim economic readings as investors focus on trillions of dollars in government stimulus and bet that a recovery would be relatively quick.

Due to the cloudy economic outlook, many companies in recent months have withdrawn or declined to provide earnings guidance, making it difficult for investors to value stocks based on future earnings. Still, the Nasdaq now trades at a trailing price/earnings multiple of 31, a level last seen in 2004 in the wake of the bursting of the dot-com bubble."

Comment

The States have now moved into 11th place in deaths per capita.

We live in fascinating times. Regarding hearing about Belgium I suspect it has something to do with press (and other press more pressing). Note all those countries are in Europe. What happens when Asia, and Middle East, and South America catch up (as they will)? and will we ever know the true numbers from China? What about when the pandemic hits the streets and back alleys of Brazil (and other third world countries)? What about the complexities of the side issues of the pandemic? Will they be discussed at least in numerous blogs? I hope they will. There are literally thousands of issues.
                                and then the economics of it all - mind boggling.

Comment

Working...
                                X