COVID-19 ... how we cope :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding the sheer total number of deaths, the U.S. (total of 3400, which is 10 deaths per million) has this morning passed China (2 deaths per million). The only countries with more deaths than the U.S. now are Italy (192 deaths per million) and Spain (177 deaths per million). I shudder to think what will happen in the U.S. when the inexorable math catches up to them. Heart-wrenching.

Comment

I heard Dr. Birx talk about US deaths may be between 100,000 and 200,000.
      That would be between 303 and 606 deaths per million.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        I heard Dr. Birx talk about US deaths may be between 100,000 and 200,000.
        That would be between 303 and 606 deaths per million.
        Yeah, but that was her "best-case scenario", and she works for Trump. At this point, I don't see how they stay under 7 figures. I'm basing that partly on the probability that their NUMBER OF INFECTED will be way higher (due to their late reaction times) than many other G20 countries. Then just apply a death rate to that. Use any number you want, from regular flu to Taiwan to China.

Any non-miniscule percentage of 100,000,000 will be a big number. The math doesn't have to be perfect. Noting orders of magnitude should be enough. "We need more data". How much more?!

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

Yeah, but that was her "best-case scenario", and she works for Trump. At this point, I don't see how they stay under 7 figures. I'm basing that partly on the probability that their NUMBER OF INFECTED will be way higher (due to their late reaction times) than many other G20 countries. Then just apply a death rate to that. Use any number you want, from regular flu to Taiwan to China.

Any non-miniscule percentage of 100,000,000 will be a big number. The math doesn't have to be perfect. Noting orders of magnitude should be enough. "We need more data". How much more?!
          Available hospital space and resources are going to be the major determinant in how bad it gets in the U.S. (and here). Here is one of the models/projections which Dr. Birx has referred to:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Comment

I agree with Kerry. The USA health care system will soon be overwhelmed. It is starting now, first in New York City where they won't see the peak until 2 weeks. So it is getting very ugly very fast. But it will spread to other major cities in USA as well.

Their pain and suffering will easily eclipse that seen in Italy and China.
            In four days the Windsor numbers went from 3 to 9 to 44 to 65 to 92 so I wouldn't get too complacent. We have one third the ventilators per capita versus the situation in the U.S. When the cases were 3 there was a bit more leeway to hit the grocery store. Now it becomes a possible life ending decision.
            Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Thursday, 2nd April, 2020, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Regarding the sheer total number of deaths, the U.S. (total of 3400, which is 10 deaths per million) has this morning passed China (2 deaths per million). The only countries with more deaths than the U.S. now are Italy (192 deaths per million) and Spain (177 deaths per million). I shudder to think what will happen in the U.S. when the inexorable math catches up to them. Heart-wrenching.
              China is lying about their situation. Iran is lying about their situation. There are supposedly no new deaths in Wuhan and yet they are delivering thousands of cremation urns to each and every cremation centre/funeral home in the area. Use a search engine that does not filter results like Duckduckgo. Do not use google unless you want your news filtered.

Comment

Everyone is lying about their situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                  Everyone is lying about their situation.
                  That is a deeply philosophical statement. It is probably true at many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

In three days the Windsor numbers went from 3 to 9 to 44 to 65 so I wouldn't get too complacent. We have one third the ventilators per capita versus the situation in the U.S. When the cases were 3 there was a bit more leeway to hit the grocery store. Now it becomes a possible life ending decision.
                    I was wondering what the Canadian situation was for ventilators. Can you give me a source for your claim "we have one third per capita versus US"?

Comment

I was wondering what the Canadian situation was for ventilators. Can you give me a source for your claim "we have one third per capita versus US"?
                      I believe I posted it on the CFC forums but here it is again. Its not quite one third but it is less than one half per capita.

US: 20.5 ICU beds with mechanical ventilation capability per 100,000 population
                      Canada: 8.7 ICU beds with mechanical ventilation capability per 100,000 population
                      Australia & New Zealand: 5.4 ICU beds with mechanical ventilation capability per 100,000 population

http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.o...fact-sheet.pdf

Comment

The situation with ventilators is actually much worse because 80% of them were probably in use in Canada for illnesses other than COVID-19.

Comment

US just tied Spain for number of deaths TODAY (748). As far as I recall, this is the first day where only Italy (837) had more deaths than US. I don't recall what time US daily reporting resets.

Good night (damn it's getting harder to fall asleep)

Comment

I don't recall what time US daily reporting resets.
                            It looks like Worldometer resets at 10pm Eastern.

Comment

I just jumped back into the stock markets. Seems like a lot of bargains to be had.

XQQ for one ... expecting short term volatility.

:))))

Comment

Cancel the Canadian Open ... if it hasn't been done already.

Comment

Working...
                                X