COVID-19 ... how we cope :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

If Hillary had won and implemented all of the Democrat policies this current economy would not be very much different from the economy that she would have created. Ditto for Bernie and Joe.
    Yes, of course. My comment was intended as sarcasm; i.e. Trump was forever taking (all?) the credit for America's booming economy, when any rational person would only allow him partial credit, so what is he saying now? Not my fault? That may be substantially true but only serves to underscore that he only deserves part of the credit for the boom. Anyway, I used to think I had a bit of a talent for sarcasm but now everyone seems to take me seriously no matter what I say. Maybe sarcasm is one of those abilities that declines with age.

The WHO does bear responsibility for spreading the lie that the virus was not transmissible from person to person. There's lots of blame to go around but now is not the time to be assessing blame while the situation is ongoing. The bad thing from your point of view is that Trump is going to win the election for sure now.
    The WHO situation will sort itself out. Trump doesn't even pay attention to his own experts so why would he have given any attention to whatever WHO said, particularly given that WHO's executive director is a person of colour from one of Trump's "shithole" countries. WHO is simply a convenient scapegoat for Trump as he wiggles and squirms and grasps at any straw that he thinks will make him less of an incompetent douche in the eyes of the American public.
    Last edited by Peter McKillop; Wednesday, 8th April, 2020, 07:15 PM.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Have we reached the peak? No, doesn't look like it.

​​​​​​Numbers reported this afternoon. Note: the numbers are actually as of the previous day at 4pm.
      This according to Dr. Barbara Jaffe. Obviously they are taking the time to verify and review the numbers before commenting.
      Cases - 5,276
      Deaths - 174
      Recovered - 2,074
      Hospitalized - 605
      In ICU - 246
      In ICU on ventilators - 195
      The Q&A session discussed that Quebec has now projected some numbers. They predicted the Quebec peak as April 18.
      Dr. David Williams was asked the obvious question: What about Ontario. He commented the Quebec date sounded reasonable and Ontario would be about the same.
      So it looks like another 10 days until we reach the peak. Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

Maybe sarcasm is one of those abilities that decline with age.
        Peter, Trump supporters may lack the gene required to recognize sarcasm. Nothing to do with age. Don't worry, I appreciate your sarcasm, although I am getting old myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
          Have we reached the peak? No, doesn't look like it.

The Q&A session discussed that Quebec has now projected some numbers. They predicted the Quebec peak as April 18.
          Dr. David Williams was asked the obvious question: What about Ontario. He commented the Quebec date sounded reasonable and Ontario would be about the same.
          So it looks like another 10 days until we reach the peak. Yikes.

So the question I'm concerned with is how long after the peak (or peak plateau) ends can the quarantine is partially or fully lifted - 2 months ?

Comment

Yes, of course. My comment was intended as sarcasm; i.e. Trump was forever taking (all?) the credit for America's booming economy, when any rational person would only allow him partial credit, so what is he saying now? Not my fault? That may be substantially true but only serves to underscore that he only deserves part of the credit for the boom. Anyway, I used to think I had a bit of a talent for sarcasm but now everyone seems to take me seriously no matter what I say. Maybe sarcasm is one of those abilities that declines with age.

The WHO situation will sort itself out. Trump doesn't even pay attention to his own experts so why would he have given any attention to whatever WHO said, particularly given that WHO's executive director is a person of colour from one of Trump's "shithole" countries. WHO is simply a convenient scapegoat for Trump as he wiggles and squirms and grasps at any straw that he thinks will make him less of an incompetent douche in the eyes of the American public.
            That director of WHO has proven himself incompetent in this crisis and the one that he presided over in Ethiopia. He was elected because of the support of China which contributes 1% of the WHO budget.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/13/h...outbreaks.html

Comment

WHO is simply a convenient scapegoat for Trump as he wiggles and squirms and grasps at any straw that he thinks will make him less of an incompetent douche in the eyes of the American public.
              The problem with the American public is that it has eyes but will not see. They have not had even a remotely impartial and honest media for at least a decade. FOX thinks Trump is God, CNN and MSNBC think he is the devil. The truth of course is that he is human like the rest of us, and neither side has any credibility. In this particular crisis my personal view is that CNN and MSNBC are closer to the truth. Trump is demonstrating that he is not the man for this job, while Fox continues to put on Dr. Oz to help Trump sell his snake oil. But for CNN and MSNBC it is the problem of the boy who cried wolf. All they have ever done is lambaste Trump, usually without adequate justification, so why the hell would anyone who might want to actually see believe them now? The biggest problem America has is not Trump, it is the media.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

So the question I'm concerned with is how long after the peak (or peak plateau) ends can the quarantine is partially or fully lifted - 2 months ?
                The last time a pandemic of this magnitude took place it lasted three years.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

Well, I think that's a pretty good estimate.
                  Back to fully normal will be when we get a vaccine, so a year or so, for that probably.
                  I guess another way would be if a high percentage of us get the virus, and then herd immunity would stop the outbreaks, but we're trying to avoid that obviously.
                  Once the initial outbreak settles, we 'll still have to practice social distancing, start re opening things very cautiously, or risk more outbreaks, as the virus will still be around.
                  Likely the warmer weather will also help, as UV light destroys viruses, and respiratory viruses tend to be seasonal somewhat (eg. we don't see much influenza in the summer)

I'm working as an ER physician in BC right now. We're doing OK, I think- number of new cases beginning to stabilize and hopefully starting to go down...it takes about 2 weeks of pretty rigorous social distancing measures before you see any effect, so hopefully the measures we took a few weeks ago are starting to take effect. At present, we have enough ICU beds and ventilators which was the whole goal of all this to begin with...

As a chess player, I'm glad we have the internet. Lots of online blitz. Also a good chance to study some chess books, although I haven't done much yet!

Comment

Stay safe Dale, you are one of our heroes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Hoshizaki View Post

Well, I think that's a pretty good estimate.
                      Back to fully normal will be when we get a vaccine, so a year or so, for that probably.
                      I guess another way would be if a high percentage of us get the virus, and then herd immunity would stop the outbreaks, but we're trying to avoid that obviously.
                      Once the initial outbreak settles, we 'll still have to practice social distancing, start re opening things very cautiously, or risk more outbreaks, as the virus will still be around.
                      Likely the warmer weather will also help, as UV light destroys viruses, and respiratory viruses tend to be seasonal somewhat (eg. we don't see much influenza in the summer)

I'm working as an ER physician in BC right now. We're doing OK, I think- number of new cases beginning to stabilize and hopefully starting to go down...it takes about 2 weeks of pretty rigorous social distancing measures before you see any effect, so hopefully the measures we took a few weeks ago are starting to take effect. At present, we have enough ICU beds and ventilators which was the whole goal of all this to begin with...

As a chess player, I'm glad we have the internet. Lots of online blitz. Also a good chance to study some chess books, although I haven't done much yet!
                      Dale, THANK YOU for being on the front lines and carrying the battle.

My wife is a (retired) Nurse who worked in Community Care as well as other fields and
                      we have some insight into the challenges faced by the front line.

Stay safe and take care!
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                        ... The biggest problem America has is not Trump, it is the media.
                        I disagree. Trump and the credibility/integrity problems with some (not all) of the news media are manifestations of America's core problem, namely: white racism/nationalism.
                        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

That director of WHO has proven himself incompetent in this crisis and the one that he presided over in Ethiopia. He was elected because of the support of China which contributes 1% of the WHO budget.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/13/h...outbreaks.html
                          Be that as it may, don't think for a second that Trump relied on WHO for anything. As I said, WHO is just a convenient scapegoat for Trump to rationalize his failure to act decisively and quickly.

Comment

I disagree. Trump and the credibility/integrity problems with some (not all) of the news media are manifestations of America's core problem, namely: white racism/nationalism.
                            My opinion in offered in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. If CNN and MSNBC had been fair and impartial until now, and then turned on Trump as a result of his performance in this crisis, then I am not certain that Trump would be getting away with his selling of snake oil, his feet-dragging, his grossly understating of the problem, his attempts to fix the next election, and all of his lies. But he is and will continue to get away with all of this insofar as the anti-Trump media has already disqualified itself from being credible. The boy cried wolf. Now he is paying the price.

I do not disagree with you if you are speaking of deeper problems relating to America as an historical whole apart from the specific problem that all of us, not just Americans, now face.

Comment

I believe that in any given situation, regardless of how we got there, that a person's performance is then 100% their own responsibility. Yes, others may mitigate the results of that performance, but that person's efforts are theirs alone. I bristle when someone's poor performance is blamed on others. I am neither a scientist nor a mathematician, but months ago now, I understood and accepted what was happening, what had to be done. I believe that as of the writing of this post, there are still some American State Governors who don't get it. Or worse, they pretend that they don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                                Or worse, they pretend that they don't get it.
                                There are some who believe that we should not mitigate, that we should simply carry on as normal and let the disease run its course, come what may. There are various possible reasons for this sort of attitude, the most basic I believe is love of money and/or power rather than love of people. At times mankind is difficult to love, but if this is the case then we should act out of self-love. Sadly, there are some who are not even capable of this, they are only capable of loving their money and/or power. If they lose both, they entirely lose all capacity to love.

The contrast between Donald Trump and Andrew Cuomo demonstrates my position.

Comment

Working...
                                X