COVID-19 ... how we cope :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

You are welcome Aris... I'm sure John Cleese is not everyone's cuppa but I generally find him hilarious.
    He is not a stupid person (sorry, no back reference implied) and he often ruffles feathers of the establishment.
    I watched the Youtube Cleese video you linked to Kerry and from that I went to another one, which is here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-p44-9S4O0

and he said something very interesting starting around the 12 minute 30 second mark that could relate to chess (even though he was not referencing chess).

He was talking about creativity. He had been saying he was not known for any creativity at all while he was growing up. Then, talking about creativity and left brain (math, science) versus right brain (creativity, intuition) in general, he related a study someone did on architects who have to be good with both sides of their brains. The study was to see what was the primary difference between what the most creative architects did and what the less creative architects did in their daily routine of working.

There were two primary differences, Cleese says. The first is that the creative architects have learned how to play like children. And the second is that when faced with a decision, the more creative architects ponder the decision and don't actually make the decision until the very last possible moment. Now the interesting part: Cleese said the reason they do this is to give as much time as possible for their unconscious mind to weigh in. I guess he is saying that the unconscious mind contributes quite a bit to creativity, and the more time we give it to weigh in, the more creative our decisions will be.

I wondered if this has any relation to chess. We all know chess is mostly a left-brain exercise (well, at least computer engines prove that). But I wondered, what if a player decided to try what Cleese appears to be recommending? So take a long time on critical moves and let the unconscious mind weigh in on your decision.... and you would play more creative chess? Something interesting to think about. More creative chess might not mean better winning chess, but it might mean much more interesting games, full of weird twists and turns.

Comment

• I found the perfect guy for campaign manager for Joe Biden.

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaQ9qL6s7UM

Comment

• Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

Seems the Dems have at least two major enemies: The Replublicans and themselves. I too cannot believe the best they could come up with was first Hilary then Biden...
        "We have met the enemy and he is us."

- Pogo :)
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

• Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

I watched the Youtube Cleese video you linked to Kerry and from that I went to another one, which is here:

and he said something very interesting starting around the 12 minute 30 second mark that could relate to chess (even though he was not referencing chess).

He was talking about creativity. He had been saying he was not known for any creativity at all while he was growing up. Then, talking about creativity and left brain (math, science) versus right brain (creativity, intuition) in general, he related a study someone did on architects who have to be good with both sides of their brains. The study was to see what was the primary difference between what the most creative architects did and what the less creative architects did in their daily routine of working.

There were two primary differences, Cleese says. The first is that the creative architects have learned how to play like children. And the second is that when faced with a decision, the more creative architects ponder the decision and don't actually make the decision until the very last possible moment. Now the interesting part: Cleese said the reason they do this is to give as much time as possible for their unconscious mind to weigh in. I guess he is saying that the unconscious mind contributes quite a bit to creativity, and the more time we give it to weigh in, the more creative our decisions will be.

I wondered if this has any relation to chess. We all know chess is mostly a left-brain exercise (well, at least computer engines prove that). But I wondered, what if a player decided to try what Cleese appears to be recommending? So take a long time on critical moves and let the unconscious mind weigh in on your decision.... and you would play more creative chess? Something interesting to think about. More creative chess might not mean better winning chess, but it might mean much more interesting games, full of weird twists and turns.

Thank you, interesting post and video!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
            I found the perfect guy for campaign manager for Joe Biden.

Wow, that's intense. However, as wretchedly correct as some of his statements are, I believe that both major parties each have some good people and some understandable policies. Lord knows there are SO MANY THINGS SO WRONG with the current goverment, which happens to be Republican. I believe we should hold PEOPLE accountable, but that's what partisanship has buried.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

@ 37:22 ... 'The moment of inspiration is not logical ... nothing to do with logic.'

That comment is absolutely true.

Some of my most creative accomplishments have come out of the blue! And, at the end of it all ... I'm left with the feeling of 'Why me?'.

Creativity is humbling and can destroy normality. Lay it to ruin. I believe, from a life long relationship with creativity, that it will, and does ...manipulate.

Yes, manipulate.

And left open it can, and will, manipulate you too.

Not going to talk about this all right here and now, but I will leave you all with this ... don't fck with creativity. It comes up from a sub-atomic level ... like a smooth sensation ... it is on to itself ... and you are simply a conduit.

You're something to be ... used ... for Creativity's own sake.

Absolutely true, just sayin'

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Monday, 18th May, 2020, 12:42 AM.

Comment

• Russia is now number two in the world with cases and Brazil is 4th.

Comment

• India and Peru, who at the beginning seemed to have the virus under control, are now seeing fast escalating numbers.

Comment

I found the perfect guy for campaign manager for Joe Biden.

I am reminded of the trio of chihuahuas which were allowed to roam the sidewalk and used to try to terrorize children going to school when I was a child. There was a lot of barking and showing of teeth. To change the U.S. constitution, you need a constitutional amendment which requires a super majority of both houses, the president's signature and also something like 38 states to sign on as well. Good luck with that, chihuahuas.

https://www.lexisnexis.com/constitut...howitsdone.asp
                    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Monday, 18th May, 2020, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• Hey hey heyyy, ISOLANI tees and masks arrived just last week :))))

https://societyofchessaficionados.co..._group_v.2.jpg

These are free to anyone who wants one ... first come, first serve :))))

Sizing and quantities still available:

T-shirts
                      • White ... 3 Medium, 3 Large, 2 X-Large
                      • Pink ... 1 Medium, 1 Large
                      Masks
                      • White ... 2 Adult

Free shipping anywhere in Canada :)

Want one? Hit us up ... merch@societyofchessaficionados.com

Stay healthy safe!

peace.
                      n.

Comment

In 2016, Trump won the electoral college 306 to Clinton 232. The red and blue bases are 170 and 182 respectively, leaving 186 in the 15 battleground states. Trump won them 136 to Clinton 50. Can Biden flip enough of these 8 states to win? Recent polls suggest possibly Biden could flip Florida and Wisconsin, while Trump keeps North Carolina and Ohio.

While flipping Florida and Wisconsin, while keeping all of the 2016 states, would be enough to capture the White House, it seems ominous that both Florida and Wisconsin are notorious states for Republican dirty tricks.
                        We have another poll today from Arizona, another one of the 8 battleground states Trump won in 2016.
                        The poll is done by OH Predictive Insights (never heard of them before) with a sample size of 600.
                        The report is just 6 pages and all the data broken down by age, race, party, the results all seem predictable.
                        Biden is ahead by 7 points: 50% to 43%. Arizona has 11 electoral college votes.
                        So that is 3 of the 8 battleground states won by Trump in 2016 that have Biden ahead.
                        2 of the 8, North Carolina & Ohio, Trump leads in the polls.
                        Still waiting for polls from the other 3: Georgia, Michigan, & Pennsylvania.

All other states remaining the same with the 3 flipping to Biden.
                        2020 Election: Biden 282, Trump 256.
                        Way too close for comfort.

Comment

We have another poll today from Arizona, another one of the 8 battleground states Trump won in 2016.
                          The poll is done by OH Predictive Insights (never heard of them before) with a sample size of 600.
                          The report is just 6 pages and all the data broken down by age, race, party, the results all seem predictable.
                          Biden is ahead by 7 points: 50% to 43%. Arizona has 11 electoral college votes.
                          So that is 3 of the 8 battleground states won by Trump in 2016 that have Biden ahead.
                          2 of the 8, North Carolina & Ohio, Trump leads in the polls.
                          Still waiting for polls from the other 3: Georgia, Michigan, & Pennsylvania.

All other states remaining the same with the 3 flipping to Biden.
                          2020 Election: Biden 282, Trump 256.
                          Way too close for comfort.

My prediction: if SP500 above 3000 in November, Trump wins. If between 2700 and 3000 - unclear. If below 2700 - Biden wins.

Comment

• My prediction is that Biden will often get confused, Trump steps down, and Pence wins, giving Trump a pardon.

Comment

• My prediction Trump wins, Biden stories of assault of females and inappropriate behaviour around female protective detail members and the spouses of male agents continue to circulate despite MSM suppression play a role

.https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...ecret-service/

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/wa...ts-book-claims

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-biden/375507/

https://www.radio.com/blogs/jeff-kat...service-agents

https://www.politico.com/story/2014/...-detail-109633

The above were on google. To see a more complete listing look using duckduckgo.

Comment

• My prediction is that luck will run out for all of us before 2021 arrives.

Thank you.
                                (beeg sorry meester)
                                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
                                X