COVID-19 ... how we cope :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
    1) "Best" of the 100? Worst? Your favourite?
    2) What happens if a new movie is promoted into the top 100?

Personally of the top 100 I've seen, "12 Angry Men" was by far the one I thought was the best.

I would say that 12 Angry Men is among the best in there. But is it THE best? No, I would say The Dark Knight. Worst? Maybe Inglourious Basterds. If a new movie arrives in the top 100, then I will watch it to once again conquer the top 100.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
      I've now *OFFICIALLY* seen EVERY movie in the IMDB top 100. Problem, haters?
      Yawn ... no AKIRA ... not a serious Top 100.

HA!

Comment

• I saw Akira LIVE in theatre on February 25th, 2011. It was preceded by Summer Wars.

Comment

• For those who are not particularly fond of the Trumper... check out this parody (and many that can be found on followup via Youtube).

https://youtu.be/RxDKW75ueIU

Sarah Cooper is a comedienne and clearly has taken over TikTok, Twitter and Instagram with her parodies of the Trumpster. Her website is sarahcpr.com
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            For those who are not particularly fond of the Trumper... check out this parody (and many that can be found on followup via Youtube).

https://youtu.be/RxDKW75ueIU

Sarah Cooper is a comedienne and clearly has taken over TikTok, Twitter and Instagram with her parodies of the Trumpster. Her website is sarahcpr.com
            She is fantastic. This clip is my favourite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
              The States have now moved into 11th place in deaths per capita.
              Aside from 3 tiny jurisdictions (San Marino, Andorra, Sint Maarten), the countries ahead of the States (in order):
              Belgium, UK, Spain, Italy, Sweden, France, Netherlands.
              (isn't it weird how little we hear about Belgium?!)

On another note, as has happened historically since the Spanish Flu, I expect some future analysis will increase death numbers.
              For example, a family friend passed away on the weekend, perhaps because her cancer surgery was COVID-delayed two months.
              It seems challenging to perform such a post-analysis effectively? Does anyone here know how they're done, how accurate, etc.
              I was talking to a statistician friend of mine a while ago and he said there have a metric called "excess deaths" that is considered the best metric to determine the impact of an outbreak. Essentially instead of analyzing each individual death, they just take the total number of deaths in a particular period and compare it to the historical average for that month of the year, without regard to reported cause of death. So this would capture effects like people dying due to being unable to seek medical care for other conditions (as well as lower death rates from things like accidents with people staying closer to home, etc.)

If I recall, it does show impacts significantly greater than the reported death rates, at least for the US.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post

I was talking to a statistician friend of mine a while ago and he said there have a metric called "excess deaths" that is considered the best metric to determine the impact of an outbreak. Essentially instead of analyzing each individual death, they just take the total number of deaths in a particular period and compare it to the historical average for that month of the year, without regard to reported cause of death. So this would capture effects like people dying due to being unable to seek medical care for other conditions (as well as lower death rates from things like accidents with people staying closer to home, etc.)

If I recall, it does show impacts significantly greater than the reported death rates, at least for the US.
                Thanks Patrick, that's what I've been reading as well. It seems mathematically reasonable. If you (or anyone) sees such reports, please feel free to post them here or to email them to me, thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
                  I saw Akira LIVE in theatre on February 25th, 2011. It was preceded by Summer Wars.
                  Awesomely EPIC!

I think Otomo is simply brilliant. His use of perspective is pure joy :)

Domu: A Child's Dream ...is a masterpiece.

Comment

• Its been three months since the start of emergency measures and Canada has had just under 100,000 cases and 8,000 deaths. Of those Ontario and Quebec have 85% of the cases and 95% of the deaths. (province of Quebec has over 50% of the cases and 64% of the deaths). As things open up over the rest of the year we will see if there is a surge of cases (or not).

Comment

• How to measure future impact of Covid-19 pandemic when hospitals are going bankrupt in USA?

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...s-in-2020.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/05/hosp...-pandemic.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex Starks View Post
                        How to measure future impact of Covid-19 pandemic when hospitals are going bankrupt in USA?

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...s-in-2020.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/05/hosp...-pandemic.html
                        Thanks Alex, VERY interesting information, I think many of us Canadians wouldn't have thought of this angle yet.

Comment

• Here's the latest article from Tomas Pueyo. It's long-ish, but I find it so interesting. For example, I was quite surprised that Sweden's economy isn't doing well enough vis-a-vis more deaths, etc.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...n-b1de3348e88b

Comment

• The States have now moved into 9th place in deaths per capita.
                            Aside from 2 tiny jurisdictions (San Marino, Andorra), the countries ahead of the States (in order):
                            Belgium, UK, Spain, Italy, Sweden, France.
                            (in other words, they just passed Netherlands)

Comment

• Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                              Lancet retracts influential study that claimed hydroxychloroquine increases risk of death

Fake news by fake scientists based on faked data. Cool. They hate Trump so much that they want people to die.
                              Regardless of how these scientists feel about Trump, I don't believe any of them would want people to die from covid-19. An attempt at dark humour on your part, I assume. More information on hydroxy... is now appearing, like this from today's NY Times:

The F.D.A. withdrew emergency approval for malaria drugs promoted by Trump.

The Food and Drug Administration said Monday that it was revoking emergency authorization of two malaria drugs to treat Covid-19, saying that they are “unlikely to be effective.”

The drugs, hydroxychloroquine and a related drug, chloroquine, were heavily promoted by President Trump after a handful of small, poorly controlled studies showed that they could work in treating the disease.
                              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

• And yet there are many doctors who swear by the drug and report great outcomes for their patients. I don't believe anything printed in the New York Times if it has even a peripheral involvement with Trump. Actually, I don't believe much written in any paper without independent verification. They always leave out inconvenient facts.

The problem with these drug combinations is they are out of patent and thus cheap. Pennies versus thousands of dollars per month. Of course they are going to be discredited with the same intellectual vigour that climate science underlying data is doctored. Orange man bad.

I am particularly annoyed with drug companies in that I just bought a three month supply of all my drugs (except one because I only got half of the usual dose because of a miscommunication with my doctor) and the total was almost $700 and probably would have been $850 if I had gotten my correct doses. This is without the two types of insulin which add another $130 per month not to mention the cost of the statins which I decline to take because of their brain fog effect which might make me dumb enough to vote for someone senile like Joe Biden.

Today I declined to buy an online book that I might have bought because the author included a mild Trump reference. The book looked to be well written but I looked the author up and found out more about him. David Suzuki foundation, convicted of money laundering, high tech mogul.
                                Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Monday, 15th June, 2020, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X