COVID-19 ... how we cope :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
    Both US and Brazil have 40,000+ new cases in one day, half of the world's new cases.
    Texas and Floridas numbers have surged dramatically and bars are being closed down.

The odds in favor of Trump preventing the November 2020 Presidential election from even happening have now gone up dramatically as Covid resurges. The economic fallout hasn't even BEGUN to happen. When it does, we're all going to need an umbrella like Wile E. Coyote in the roadrunner cartoons.

As you might recall, the semi-famous person who predicted the 2020 pandemic back in 2008 also predicted that the 2020 U.S. election would not be held. That is why I'm mentioning the odds on that happening now going up. In Texas, the state supreme court ruled AGAINST allowing all state residents to vote by mail. So if the pandemic is so bad by then that no one can vote in person, in Texas and in other states, Trump could do some kind of executive action to prevent the election from even happening, and the courts may allow it.

Comment

• Some of it is fascinating and its all great entertainment (as much as I can stand anyways) I find I have to take total breaks from US news for days at a time for my own mental health.
      I would also think it would be a great mood affector for some due to the huge amount of schadenfreude.

Comment

• The world 10,000,000 + (thats 10 million) cases and 500,000+ deaths, of those the US has more than one quarter each.

Comment

• However the continent of South America may be the one most affected (and infected). Of its twelve countries 7 are on the verge of out of control, Brazil, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Columbia, Bolivia, and Ecuador.

Comment

• One positive. Here in Kitchener they are busy building tiny homes for the homeless (direct result of Covid). Back when i was at Kitchener City Hall for over two years I was one of the lobbyists lobbying to get Tiny Homes into the community. It was frustrating with endless meetings and no headway. The developers didnt want them. Now finally more than 5 years later we have them.

Comment

• Well this isn't jolly news:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/asymp...ing_1174_43037

Comment

• Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                One positive. Here in Kitchener they are busy building tiny homes for the homeless (direct result of Covid). Back when i was at Kitchener City Hall for over two years I was one of the lobbyists lobbying to get Tiny Homes into the community. It was frustrating with endless meetings and no headway. The developers didnt want them. Now finally more than 5 years later we have them.
                Ya, it's insane how urban centers don't jump all over these small square foot residential structures. So much good can come of it! And a major plus that comes with this amount of square footage is that they don't necessarily need to be of stud wall construction to be built efficiently. So for the creative/enlightened architect/builder this type of built environment is a wonderful opportunity!

Long ago Tokyo took this and ran with it, so did the Hague, so did many other smart cities. And it's no longer just a challenge for cities with limited land mass nor the 'human' side of things to simply provide a built environment / shelter. It's all about opportunity.

I'd have to go way back into my stack of Architectural Review to find that one single structure which triggered my inspiration but I remember it was built in Japan. Very narrow structure, in fact so narrow that it was structured with a corrugated C ... and the living areas were suspended via cables, so too were the sheets of glass windows. No load bearing stud wall, no posts nor beams.

Opportunity is limited only by the lack of vision & the lack of will power.

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Sunday, 28th June, 2020, 10:50 PM.

Comment

• https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53212685

Really makes you think!

Comment

• Arizona is the 10th state to go over 1% (of population) infected.

Comment

• 27 US states (out of 50) have numbers of cases big enough to put them in the top 50 countries of the world. Mind boggling.

Comment

• For the first time today, the U.S. has topped 50,000 new cases in a single day. On this same day, Trump said, "We did a lot of things right. I think we did it ALL right. We did a great job. We're credited with doing a great job!" Really makes you think.

Comment

• Nebraska is the 11th state to go over 1% of population infected.

Comment

• I've been enjoying the comedy in Seattle. The block party was all fun and games until it moved to the mayor's neighbourhood when it suddenly became a problem. I am sure that's pure coincidence.
                            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                              I've been enjoying the comedy in Seattle. The block party was all fun and games until it moved to the mayor's neighbourhood when it suddenly became a problem. I am sure that's pure coincidence.
                              Are you thinking of St.Louis where the white couple (both lawyers) brandished their firearms (recklessly but thankfully without incident) at the protest group in their "gated" neighbourhood?
                              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

• No. I mean Seattle. As for St. Louis, it appears many lawyers agree they have the law on their side, specifically Missouri's castle doctrine.

"Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                X