COVID-19 ... how we cope :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
    No. I mean Seattle. As for St. Louis, it appears many lawyers agree they have the law on their side, specifically Missouri's castle doctrine.
    Ah, I see what you mean about Seattle... sorry for the confusion. Wasn't a variation of "castle doctrine" the core issue of Trayvon Martin's shooting ( in that case a much more lame interpretation ).
    I wonder when the U.S. will realize they are no longer in the 16-18th century? Seems like they are actually regressing as we speak.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

• An interesting counter-attack:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ief_1570_46120

Comment

• Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

Are you thinking of St.Louis where the white couple (both lawyers) brandished their firearms (recklessly but thankfully without incident) at the protest group in their "gated" neighbourhood?
        I think you misspelled armed invaders. Apparently there was no way to get to the mayor's residence through that subdivision though the looters were being led by a Marxist city councillor who had stolen the information about the mayor's residence from the confidential database of employee information.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

I think you misspelled armed invaders. Apparently there was no way to get to the mayor's residence through that subdivision though the looters were being led by a Marxist city councillor who had stolen the information about the mayor's residence from the confidential database of employee information.
          lol The mayor gave out the address and other details of people who advocated defunding the police (whatever that may mean) so I don't see the big deal.
          I forgot you are a supporter of Trump. Whatever. Alternative reality I guess.

Comment

• Defund the police is one of the single most ridiculous things to have ever come about.

Period!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

Ah, I see what you mean about Seattle... sorry for the confusion. Wasn't a variation of "castle doctrine" the core issue of Trayvon Martin's shooting ( in that case a much more lame interpretation ).
              I wonder when the U.S. will realize they are no longer in the 16-18th century? Seems like they are actually regressing as we speak.
              These riots have set back gun control by a decade.

Comment

• Big new study by the Detroit Henry Ford hospital system shows that hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin and ZINC cut mortality rates in half in very sick patients. The highly touted remdesivir not so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                  Defund the police is one of the single most ridiculous things to have ever come about.

Period!
                  Everyone needs to realize that it doesn't mean get rid of police (departments) but it means get rid of excessive funding that is currently being misused for militarization of some police departments. Some are buying surplus military equipment like tanks (!) grenade launchers (!) heavily armoured vehicles etc. What this movement is calling for is making sure those expenditures are not allowed and a LOT more money is allocated to mental health crisis intervention teams and training in de-escalation techniques etc. The NYPD police budget for 2020 is $5B (yes - billion). WTAF?

see: https://council.nyc.gov/budget/wp-co...Dashboard-.pdf

Comment

• Do you consider half to be "excessive"?

https://blacklivesmatter.ca/defund-the-police/

"The Toronto Police Services (TPS) budget is over $1.1 billion dollars, which is more than public funding allotted to libraries, housing, shelters combined. We believe that Black communities, and all communities, deserve better.

Immediately redirect a minimum of 50 percent of the $1.1 billion TPS budget toward the communities they have devastated by investing in secure, long-term housing for street-involved and unhoused communities, food security programs, public transit, public health, public libraries, and community-led anti-violence programs."

"Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

• Here's a great idea, defund police when people stop committing crimes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                        Do you consider half to be "excessive"?

https://blacklivesmatter.ca/defund-the-police/

"The Toronto Police Services (TPS) budget is over $1.1 billion dollars, which is more than public funding allotted to libraries, housing, shelters combined. We believe that Black communities, and all communities, deserve better.

Immediately redirect a minimum of 50 percent of the $1.1 billion TPS budget toward the communities they have devastated by investing in secure, long-term housing for street-involved and unhoused communities, food security programs, public transit, public health, public libraries, and community-led anti-violence programs."

are we missing a key sentence right before that, like who is "they" in the phrase "communities they have devastated"? thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                          Here's a great idea, defund police when people stop committing crimes.
                          yes, like isn't this the human model, where given crime, we need police? I hear Kerry's point about any excessive spending, but with crime happening, isn't police kinda not an option?

I'm open to hearing alternatives, but if crime happens to one of us this afternoon, who we gonna call?

Comment

• "Defund the Police – Demands

Defund the Police.

Demilitarize the Police.

Disarm the Police.

Dismantle the Police.

The Toronto Police Services (TPS) budget is over $1.1 billion dollars, which is more than public funding allotted to libraries, housing, shelters combined. We believe that Black communities, and all communities, deserve better.

We are working toward the abolition of the police and toward a society where we can all be safe. While this is focused on law enforcement, we are also calling to defund jails, prisons, immigration detention centres, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS), and the Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA).

We are calling for a reinvestment into Black, Indigenous, racialized, impoverished, & other targeted communities.

WE DEMAND:

DEFUND THE POLICE
                            1. Immediately redirect a minimum of 50 percent of the $1.1 billion TPS budget toward the communities they have devastated by investing in secure, long-term housing for street-involved and unhoused communities, food security programs, public transit, public health, public libraries, and community-led anti-violence programs."
                            There is more, feel free to read the rest of the insanity at the link.
                            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

• oh ... my ... goodness ...

a sad thing here (as is often the case) is that when demands are too strong, then the whole thing gets ignored ... something more attainable has greater chance of genuine good change

Comment

• Hey, all you out-of-towners, Toronto is a stressful rat race. Poor people are cracking up. Yet we continue to cut spending for mental health and housing. If you need therapy, wait six months for an appointment. Check into a mental hospital, get sedated and kicked back to the street. Toronto housing costs are insane, no place for the insane. The police are too busy rearranging the mess, and can't respond to wealthy drunk drivers or the widespread car, bicycle, or porch robberies.

The police are a very expensive nonsolution and it's only going to get worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X