COVID-19 ... how we cope :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God says: You made the mess; you clean it up.

God says: I gave you free will......so you are free to reject me and carry out anti-social actions. I cannot save man from himself, after giving him his freedom.

The Future: Some men will ally themselves with the dark side of their life-force; so there will forever be conflict. But God gave us the tools to deal with: Life IS struggle.

The 2 cents of this philosopher/theologian (I do actually have academic credentials in both.....for what that may be worth).

Bob A

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
      God says: You made the mess; you clean it up.

God says: I gave you free will......so you are free to reject me and carry out anti-social actions. I cannot save man from himself, after giving him his freedom.

The Future: Some men will ally themselves with the dark side of their life-force; so there will forever be conflict. But God gave us the tools to deal with: Life IS struggle.

The 2 cents of this philosopher/theologian (I do actually have academic credentials in both.....for what that may be worth).

Bob A
      Hey Bob,
      Good to hear from you... but I have to say that your philosophic concepts are a bit outdated, as the current trend in philosophy is to rationalize it on the basis of physical sciences:
      Most philosophers today conclude that free will cannot exist, and the script of our lives is already written by the laws of physics and chemistry...
      The illusion of free will however is helpful in formulating our legal system...
      Last edited by Dilip Panjwani; Thursday, 30th July, 2020, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• Vietnam, a poster country for surviving the virus, has its first death after 6 months of virtually no cases.

Comment

• Montana for a long time was the state least infected. In the last few weeks it has had a surge of cases going from a couple hundred to almost 4000. Still Montana is one of ten states that are doing reasonably well (with less than 10,000 cases)

Comment

• Bruckner, Symphony 8, movement 3, adagio:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M49u848iy_w

Lemmy, God Was Never on Your Side:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1wC8Qk7_mk
            Last edited by Brad Thomson; Friday, 31st July, 2020, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• California has gone over 500,000 cases. Florida is close behind. Even Texas is passing New York state. Incredible.

Comment

• South Africa has gone over 500,000 cases. Fortunately the rest of Africa has kept cases from spreading too fast. After South Africa is Egypt, far behind, with less than 100,000 cases.
                After Australia, Africa is the continent least infected.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                  South Africa has gone over 500,000 cases. Fortunately the rest of Africa has kept cases from spreading too fast. After South Africa is Egypt, far behind, with less than 100,000 cases.
                  After Australia, Africa is the continent least infected.
                  If I may suggest, that might simply be the continent least tested?

Comment

• Charting 'excess deaths' is probably the most reliable practical way to study the impact of the epidemic on various parts of the world...but I wonder why there is a dearth of widely available data on it...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dilip Panjwani View Post
                      Charting 'excess deaths' is probably the most reliable practical way to study the impact of the epidemic on various parts of the world...but I wonder why there is a dearth of widely available data on it...
                      Our World in Data --- just can't get you the link now

Comment

• https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

Comment

• Thank you, Aris and Lucas. Unfortunately, the above link says:

Excess mortality is unfortunately available for very few countries, and because the required data from previous years is lacking this will continue to be the case. When the goal is to monitor a global pandemic then this is a major limitation of this metric.
                          Excess mortality can only be calculated on the basis of accurate, high-frequency data on mortality from previous years. But few countries have statistical agencies that have the capacity and infrastructure to report the number of people that died in a given month, week or even day-to-day. For most low and middle-income countries, such data is not available for the last years.

The above is surprising, as I was under the impression that a record of births and deaths was the very basic record keeping every country kept... perhaps it is just too much work for lazy bureaucracies to bring up the records which very likely do exist, to be analyzed...

Comment

• Splashdown of Dragon Endeavour in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Florida.

Splashdown remains scheduled for 2:48 p.m.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/live-sp...mission-2-crew

Comment

• If I were Robert Behnken or Douglas Hurley I wouldn't come back ... not to USA anyway and not at this time.

Comment

• Columbia and Iran have gone over 300,000 cases.

Comment

Working...
                                X