COVID-19 ... how we cope :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
    Brad, the average age of death from Covid in Ontario is about 80 by my estimate. I can show you my simple calculations on how I got that number if it will make you feel better. Or you can pick it apart. ;-)
    The average age is relatively old but that is little comfort to those of us with underlying conditions that make us vulnerable. Not sure of the stats at the moment but at one point recently in Windsor 75% of the deaths were related to nursing homes (patients or staff) and the other 25% were farm workers who are mostly young and healthy to start but get warehoused in bunk beds with 20 to a room or trailer.

Austen Matthews the hockey player tested positive at one point but being young, he recovered quickly and didn't look sick during the recent play in series when he was one of the two best players on the Leafs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

Austen Matthews the hockey player ... when he was one of the two best players on the Leafs.
      Which isn't saying much - since 1967 - sorry, couldn't resist!

Comment

The average age is relatively old but that is little comfort to those of us with underlying conditions that make us vulnerable. ……………… .
        The thinking is (among those that are not old and that have no underlying conditions) that covid is doing the world a favor by selectively eliminating such people.

This thinking pervades the very Trump admin that you keep defending. Open up the economy, let those who are going to die... die.

Strange world!

Comment

The average age is relatively old but that is little comfort to those of us with underlying conditions that make us vulnerable. Not sure of the stats at the moment but at one point recently in Windsor 75% of the deaths were related to nursing homes (patients or staff) and the other 25% were farm workers who are mostly young and healthy to start but get warehoused in bunk beds with 20 to a room or trailer.

Austen Matthews the hockey player tested positive at one point but being young, he recovered quickly and didn't look sick during the recent play in series when he was one of the two best players on the Leafs.

I do not believe the government cares at all about the health of people. During this time they will happily allow the sale of cigarettes, alcohol, pot, and unhealthy foods. Meanwhile they close gyms and sports fields. Now you might argue that people should be allowed to consume whatever unhealthy thing they want to, and I certainly agree. At the same time people should be allowed to take the risk of lifting some weights or kicking a ball around a field with a bunch of friends. Evidently the risk of playing hockey in an arena is small enough that the Patrick Browns of the world will take it but simultaneously deprive others of the same agency.
          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Brad, the average age of death from Covid in Ontario is about 80 by my estimate. I can show you my simple calculations on how I got that number if it will make you feel better. Or you can pick it apart. ;-)
            I think the problem is that we do not know what numbers to believe, nor do we know enough about the nature of this strange disease that effects different people in entirely different ways and for differing lengths of time. I am a pessimist who prefers to err on the side of caution, thus my approach will certainly cost us the most money, but it will also most likely save us the most lives. Of course I hope the problem is not as bad as I fear it may be. It may be the case that no mitigation would have been the best approach, simply allowing the disease to blow through and then picking up the pieces. But this may also be the worst possible reaction, we simply do not know, so again, err on the side of caution, forsake money and save lives.

Comment

• How do you know that you are saving lives? One small example. I go to the dentist at least every six months. I am slow to discover things, so only learned a few years ago that dentists can tell a fair amount about your general health by looking in your mouth. In other words, a dentist could possibly identify early if you have health problems and if so give you an early warning (e.g. inflammation in your gums could be a sign of serious general health problems including heart disease and diabetes). So millions of people who haven't seen their dentists could be jeopardizing their health. Similarly with people who missed their general checkup, their optometrist appointment, etc.

I prefer to err on the side of personal liberty.

"Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

• Here is another question. This disease originated in China, supposedly in a marketplace that just happens to be very close to a laboratory that deals with terrible diseases. This already sounds fishy. If this disease "accidentally" escaped, then where did the laboratory get it from in the first place? We know where they got the Ebola virus from that they were also investigating. Or, was this disease created in the laboratory? And if so was its release into the marketplace an "accident" or was it deliberate? We have never had a disease that affects so many different people in so many different ways. It is a very odd bug to say the least. I am not necessarily suggesting or advocating a "conspiracy theory" in this case, but one cannot help but wonder. The proximity of the lab and the market is too bizarre to be purely coincidental.

Comment

How do you know that you are saving lives?
                  I do not know for sure one way or the other.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                    I am not necessarily suggesting or advocating a "conspiracy theory" in this case.......
                    Of course you are!
                    Fred Harvey

Comment

• Originally posted by Fred Harvey View Post
                      Of course you are!
                      No. The disease may have escaped accidentally, or it may have been deliberately released by one person. In either of these scenarios there would be no conspiracy. To be sure I am suggesting that it may be a possibility. Also, it is possible that the Americans, or one deranged person of any nationality, planted the disease near to the lab so as to make it look like China was responsible. Again, it may or may not have been a conspiracy.

I get amused by the Americans who claim that anyone who suggests 9/11 was in inside job is a "conspiracy" theorist when their own "official" theory suggests that bin Laden "conspired" with eleven men with box-cutters to pull off the crime.
                      Last edited by Brad Thomson; Wednesday, 12th August, 2020, 09:46 AM.

Comment

I do not believe the government cares at all about the health of people. During this time they will happily allow the sale of cigarettes, alcohol, pot, and unhealthy foods. Meanwhile they close gyms and sports fields. Now you might argue that people should be allowed to consume whatever unhealthy thing they want to, and I certainly agree. At the same time people should be allowed to take the risk of lifting some weights or kicking a ball around a field with a bunch of friends. Evidently the risk of playing hockey in an arena is small enough that the Patrick Browns of the world will take it but simultaneously deprive others of the same agency.

Yes, the government allows the sale of tobacco, alcohol, pot... but it taxes them heavily to discourage as much as possible their constant daily use. Of course, there will always be those who will pay whatever they can to get what they need.

The whole thing about freedom and personal liberty is …. where does it end? If we truly had total and unlimited freedom, humanity would be extinct by now. Government of all kinds, no matter how we may despise it, has kept us going as a species, at least so far.

Lets say there was a class of people called SillyPeople. Let's also suppose that you personally hated SillyPeople, and wanted to kill them all. In a world of unlimited freedom, you could set out to kill all SillyPeople and there would be no laws to stop you.

Now lets take that a step further... you hate ALL OTHER PEOPLE. See where this is going?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

Yes, the government allows the sale of tobacco, alcohol, pot... but it taxes them heavily to discourage as much as possible their constant daily use. Of course, there will always be those who will pay whatever they can to get what they need.

The whole thing about freedom and personal liberty is …. where does it end? If we truly had total and unlimited freedom, humanity would be extinct by now. Government of all kinds, no matter how we may despise it, has kept us going as a species, at least so far.

Lets say there was a class of people called SillyPeople. Let's also suppose that you personally hated SillyPeople, and wanted to kill them all. In a world of unlimited freedom, you could set out to kill all SillyPeople and there would be no laws to stop you.

Now lets take that a step further... you hate ALL OTHER PEOPLE. See where this is going?
                          I guess Tom may respond for himself, but from knowing him as a good human being, I believe he's saying one can do what one wants without infringing on others' rights to do what they want.

This approach reminds of Libertarianism, which is essentially built on what we learn in the schoolyard:

1) you don't hit others
                          2) you don't take from others
                          3) you keep your promises to others

[from my personal viewpoint, I've added]:
                          4) you don't litter

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony Boron View Post

Which isn't saying much - since 1967 - sorry, couldn't resist!
                            Bruins found a way to win today :))))

Here's an image of the Leafs back in the day when the Leafs actually made it to the playoffs...

https://societyofchessaficionados.co...nBruinsWin.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHy0vJsAJ-A

...HA!

:))))

Comment

• USA with more than 1000 deaths today. Difference is its not really New York contributing anymore. The big contributors are California, Florida, Texas, Arizona, Georgia.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                                Here is another question. This disease originated in China, supposedly in a marketplace that just happens to be very close to a laboratory that deals with terrible diseases. This already sounds fishy. If this disease "accidentally" escaped, then where did the laboratory get it from in the first place?
                                They got the virus from a cave hundreds of miles away from a bat or bats.The Wuhan market was always just a deflection to keep people from looking at the lab. The market did not sell the type of bat that the virus came from. The market was reopened once people were looking the other way which seems unlikely if they thought it was really the source of the outbreak.

Comment

Working...
                                X