COVID-19 ... how we cope :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post

and which will cause the USA to sink into the waves .......I hope not into fascist dictatorship
    America has been a fascist dictatorship since November 22, 1963.

Comment

• What is the least infected country or territory in North America? Well it used to be St Pierre et Miquelon. For the longest time they had only 1 case, now they are up to 5.

Comment

• I have been dreaming about a regular tournament to attend. Maybe Iceland, although they might not let me in. Hopefully Reykjavik will be happening next year. Its also good to see Isle of Man and Gibraltar with low covid numbers.

Comment

• Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you; if you don't bet you can't win.

Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• TRUMP 2020 displayed with fireworks to wrap-up the RNC convention was ... A W E S O M E :))))

https://www.mediaite.com/election-20...of-rnc-speech/

Comment

• Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
              I have been dreaming about a regular tournament to attend. Maybe Iceland, although they might not let me in. Hopefully Reykjavik will be happening next year. Its also good to see Isle of Man and Gibraltar with low covid numbers.
              Hans, I love your continued sober statements of fact, and your optimism. I suspect that there are few to no cases of COVID-19 in Antarctica, though I am not sure if penguins play chess as well as you do even with your eyes closed. :)
              Last edited by Brad Thomson; Friday, 28th August, 2020, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• Four years ago I was one of the very few, if not the only person in this forum who predicted that Trump would win. I was then accused of terrible things which mistook my prediction for a hope, or a wish. This time things are different. I truly hope and wish that Trump wins, for the sooner that America destroys itself the better off the rest of mankind will be. Hail the Chief.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post

Four years ago I was one of the very few, if not the only person in this forum who predicted that Trump would win. I was then accused of terrible things which mistook my prediction for a hope, or a wish. This time things are different. I truly hope and wish that Trump wins, for the sooner that America destroys itself the better off the rest of mankind will be. Hail the Chief.
                  I predicted he would win after the first debate very publicly. There were a few of us.

Comment

• Good news in our community - Aurora has no active Covid cases since Friday. Hope it stays like that forever. RIP town's 15 lost souls.

Comment

• Brazil (562 per 1M) just passed the U.S. (561 per 1M) in deaths per capita, as had Chile (582 per 1M) and especially Peru (862 per 1M) recently.

Comment

• Qatar 118,000 cases and less than 200 deaths. Seriously??

Comment

• Russia 1 million plus cases

Comment

• Mexico, Columbia and Peru have joined South Africa at over 600,000 cases. Argentina and Chile have over 400,000. Bolivia and Ecuador have gone over 100,000 cases.

Comment

• Which countries have protected both health and the economy in the pandemic?

Responses to the pandemic have often been framed in terms of striking a balance between protecting people’s health and protecting the economy. There is an assumption that countries face a trade-off between these two objectives. But is this assumption true?
                              A preliminary way of answering this question is to look at how the health and economic impacts of the pandemic compare in different countries so far. Have countries with lower death rates seen larger downturns?
                              Comparing the COVID-19 death rate with the latest GDP data, we in fact see the opposite: countries that have managed to protect their population’s health in the pandemic have generally also protected their economy too.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-health-economy

Comment

• Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                                Which countries have protected both health and the economy in the pandemic?

Responses to the pandemic have often been framed in terms of striking a balance between protecting people's health and protecting the economy. There is an assumption that countries face a trade-off between these two objectives. But is this assumption true?

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-health-economy
                                Equally interesting would be a study of how well governments have protected their populations by class. Intuitively, I think that the lower the class, the lower the degree of protection and, hate to say it, the lower the degree of caring.
                                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
                                X