COVID-19 ... how we cope :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post

Even if you look at the upper range of the margin of error, Pelosi's district is below average in poverty compared to the rest of California, and well below average compared to the rest of the United States: https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...istrict-12-ca/

Homelessness was prevalent in San Francisco well before she took office: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homele...re%20programs.

Poverty increased significantly more in Republican districts compared to Democrat districts from 2000 to 2010-2014: https://nlihc.org/resource/fact-week...onal-districts

By Tulsi Gabbard's own admission, homelessness increased by close to 20% in the past 5 years in Hawaii while she's been a representative, and it now has the highest per capita rate of homelessness in the country: https://gabbard.house.gov/housing

You said that you supported her for president, but you criticize Pelosi based on a video that provides zero data, but instead shows some poor and homeless people while sad music plays. Did you maybe think to consider stuff like: what policies has Pelosi supported or not supported that have actually affected poverty in her district? How does poverty in her district compare to others? What are the major factors that have contributed to this poverty? Is this video actually representative of a significant part of her district, or did they just cherry pick the absolute worst parts? Is a Twitter account called "Students for Trump" an unbiased source, or should I maybe try to do a little research before I post this dumb Republican propaganda?

Wonderful reply, full of facts that can be checked. Neil Frarey may have to revert to the Kelly-Ann Conway strategy of declaring fake news and citing "alternative facts".

One of the greatest philosophers ever told us the poor will always be with us. We can't eradicate poverty, we can only diminish it to a small extent. So Neil's frustration, anger, sorrow, suffering & pain" can be found throughout the U.S., including deep-red Alabama for instance.

We can, however, exacerbate the problems of poverty and homelessness, and that seems to be where America is right now. What gets me about Neil Frarey is how he seems to be on the side of the downtrodden, yet he supports the American political party that is all about UNFETTERED ACCUMULATION OF WEALTH.

I should correct what I said above, to say that we in fact COULD eradicate poverty .... if it weren't for human greed. And the Republican Party stands for human greed, and in fact glorifies it in the name of capitalism, and makes greed into a very good thing that produces human progress. This could become a very philosophical discussion if we wanted to go there, I only bring up the main point, that as humans we could create an egalitarian society in which all greed was suppressed, but that society might be still back in the stone age, much like some indigenous tribes in the Amazon rainforest for example. So we decide to allow greed in the name of progress, but such progress has winners and it has losers. The losers must suffer, that is the consequence of human progress. Whether progress is a good thing or not is the deep philosophical discussion that could go on forever with no conclusion.

My own personal opinion is that greed needs to be regulated, but not totally eradicated... which for me eliminates the Republican Party from consideration. But even so, I would add that now that we've achieved a good deal of progress and are technologically able to prosper and enjoy Netflix as Neil referenced and so many other good things like hockey playoffs (and some bad things like most TV shows), maybe we should rein in the progress for a while and let the downtrodden catch a break for once.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

One of the greatest philosophers ever told us the poor will always be with us.
      Why is it that liberals always want to try to diminish God?.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

Now, now. It's not just liberals. And it's not a valid generalization either.
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

God has done a pretty good job of doing that Him/Herself.

Comment

• India has passed Brazil in total cases. Worrisome as India might soon be out of control.
            Spain has passed the 500,000 mark.

Comment

Remember when Trump had militarised police use tear gas, rubber bullets, etc, to clear a crowd of peaceful protesters (including a church's own clergy) so that he could get a photo op holding a bible in front of a church?

Comment

Remember when Trump had militarised police use tear gas, rubber bullets, etc, to clear a crowd of peaceful protesters (including a church's own clergy) so that he could get a photo op holding a bible in front of a church?
                Were they the same "peaceful" protestors that tried to burn the church down the night before? Or are they only peaceful when TRUMP does something?

Comment

Why is it that people who support Trump always want to divert from the facts or even create "alternative facts"?

And just because I called Jesus one of the greatest philosophers ever doesn't mean I am diminishing God. Talk about a strawman argument, and an illogical one at that, since Jesus could have been both a great philosopher AND the Son of God.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken MacDonald View Post

Were they the same "peaceful" protestors that tried to burn the church down the night before? Or are they only peaceful when TRUMP does something?
                    We simply do not know one way or the other. America's radically biased and polarized media does a profound disservice to the country, and more than any other factor are in my opinion responsible for the implosion that is now taking place.

Comment

John Coryn, a Republican senator, explicitly said that the protesters had to be cleared not because they were being violent, but because Trump was "walking over to the church." His explanation for them not being peaceful wasn't that they were actually being violent, but that they didn't immediately disperse when asked to do so by police. Adam DeMarco, a major in the National Guard, said that the protesters were acting peacefully, and that the warning from the police to clear the area were barely audible from 18 meters away, and that protesters who were further away gave no sign of having heard the warning. According to him, police then suddenly began violently dispersing the crowd without even warning the National Guard forces who were present.

So yes, it does seem fair to say that Trump had police violently disperse peaceful protesters so that he could get a photo op.

Comment

The most hilarious moment was the montage of CNN, MSNBC and NPR reporters all reading from the same democrat talking points about peaceful protests in front of burning buildings and rioters throwing rocks using the exact same phrases of the day. Don't believe your lying eyes. These protests are peaceful. Those dead people aren't really dead or they are racists.

Trump can stop it either with permission of local governors or by invoking the insurrection act. If he does the latter then he is a dictator according to the chattering classes.

I will probably withdraw from this discussion until after the election and then I'll do an "I told you so." post like the one I did in response to the reaction to my assertion after the first debate that Trump would beat Hillary. I am more certain now than I was then.

Comment

So yes, it does seem fair to say that Trump had police violently disperse peaceful protesters so that he could get a photo op.
                          My opinion has always been the opposite. Trump wanted to have the police violently disperse peaceful protesters, this was his main motivation. The Bible and the church and the photo op were just the pretext.

Comment

• I have been reading a lot during the Covid shutdown mostly on my kindle app either on a computer or tablet.

I have been watching quite a few videos as well including some chess videos to broaden my repertoire and also to improve my understanding of chess in this down time.

Besides chessbase.com, ichess.net, Magnus Carlsen's chessable and chess24 I have also been looking at Mesgen Amanov's offerings on Limitlesschess.com and improvemychess.com.

I have also signed up a few days ago for the Great Courses Plus. For $10 U.S. per month you get access to hundreds of great courses.

I am watching The Art of Storytelling by Dr. Hannah B. Harvey. I am already on lecture 20. She is a very gifted lecturer. I have already signed up for two of her other courses. The online app remembers where you left off so it is possible to stop in the middle of a lecture and pick up where you left off later.

Comment

By Tulsi Gabbard's own admission, homelessness increased by close to 20% in the past 5 years in Hawaii while she's been a representative, and it now has the highest per capita rate of homelessness in the country: https://gabbard.house.gov/housing

You said that you supported her for president ...
                              I did?

Where?

And when?

Congrats Lucas, you're now just like fake news ... CNN & Co.!!!

:))))

Comment

• Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

I did?

Where?

And when?

Congrats Lucas, you're now just like fake news ... CNN & Co.!!!

:))))

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

Tulsi Gabbard was my choice.

https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/ch...we-cope/page29

Comment

Working...
                                X