COVID-19 ... how we cope :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to firing dr Fauci ? or is it a sign that elections are not over?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

In the conclusion section: "The most important limitation is that the findings are inconclusive..."

These days there are studies about studies...

there are TWO reasons to wear a mask in public places (indoor and outdoor) - to protect the wearer of the mask and to protect those the wearer encounters. One can likely argue forever about the efficacy in each case but I suggest that it is greater than zero so it is a reasonable thing to do for the good of everyone.
      If someone doesn't give a shit then there is no point talking to them.
      I agree with you and Ed. If public health officials are recommending masks, distancing, etc., then that's what I'm doing. From a recent meme floating around the net: "How privileged is your life when wearing a mask is the most oppressed you've ever felt."
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

From a recent meme floating around the net: "How privileged is your life when wearing a mask is the most oppressed you've ever felt."
        Does ANYONE remember rage and divisiveness like this when governments made wearing seatbelts while driving mandatory??? Nope, didn't think so.
        Last edited by Garland Best; Wednesday, 18th November, 2020, 10:00 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Originally posted by Garland Best View Post

Does ANYONE remember rage and divisiveness like this when governments made wearing seatbelts while driving mandatory??? Nope, didn't think so.

God you must be young. I remember plenty of that rage and divisiveness around it. Took the best part of 20 years to get almost everyone to come around and by then airbags had come in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post

"Inconclusive results, missing data, variable adherence, patient-reported findings on home tests, no blinding, and no assessment of whether masks could decrease disease transmission from mask wearers to others."

Junk study meaning nothing.
            https://aapsonline.org/mask-facts/

Comment

• Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
              This is the same group that has promoted claims that vaccines cause autism, HIV doesn't cause AIDS, and that Obama hypnotized people with his speeches and that may be why Jews supported him: https://aapsonline.org/oratory-or-hypnotic-induction/

Personally, I'll stick to meta-analyses.

Comment

Since URLs are being flung around willy-nilly, here is a counter (from the department of truth on the interwebs). Full disclosure: I do not know who knows what about anything.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/assoc...surgeons-aaps/
                • Overall, we rate the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS) an extreme right Questionable source based on the promotion of quackery level pseudoscience, conspiracy theories, use of poor sources, a lack of transparency with funding as well as numerous false claims and failed fact checks.
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post

Undated and unsourced picture. Perfectly appropriate prior to 2020 for example. Man, you just don't get the concept of "evidence", do you?
                  The Report...

https://www.foxla.com/news/fox-11-ob...d-19-protocols

The Confession...

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics...photo-18937592

LOOL!!!

Just another darling Dem ... CAUGHT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post

This is the same group that has promoted claims that vaccines cause autism, HIV doesn't cause AIDS, and that Obama hypnotized people with his speeches and that may be why Jews supported him: https://aapsonline.org/oratory-or-hypnotic-induction/

Personally, I'll stick to meta-analyses.
                    Interesting, you rarely discuss the substance of the article instead attacking the publisher. This article includes many published and peer reviewed papers on the subject.
                    Lets here comments on the article it self please,

Comment

Interesting, you rarely discuss the substance of the article instead attacking the publisher. This article includes many published and peer reviewed papers on the subject.
                      Lets here comments on the article it self please,
                      What's to discuss? When there are a lot of studies on a topic, you can present a collection of them to represent any view. If one person provides various studies showing that masks do work and another person provides studies showing that they don't, where does that get anyone? That's why meta-analyses exist: to systematically examine the totality of research and reach a conclusion based on science rather than ideology. This group has many questionable views and is clearly extremely partisan (despite what they claim in their about section), so why would I ever look at their non-scientific summary of research instead of just looking at meta-analyses?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post

What's to discuss? When there are a lot of studies on a topic, you can present a collection of them to represent any view. If one person provides various studies showing that masks do work and another person provides studies showing that they don't, where does that get anyone? That's why meta-analyses exist: to systematically examine the totality of research and reach a conclusion based on science rather than ideology. This group has many questionable views and is clearly extremely partisan (despite what they claim in their about section), so why would I ever look at their non-scientific summary of research instead of just looking at meta-analyses?

This is Dr Heneghan of Oxford- Ediitor of the BMJ-EBM , he also is a right wing conspiracy theorist?

Comment

This is Dr Heneghan of Oxford- Ediitor of the BMJ-EBM , he also is a right wing conspiracy theorist? ...
                          Who do we believe? Heneghan is *just* a general practitioner, according to available info. But then again, Einstein was *just* a clerk of some type when he started thinking about the big stuff. A few weeks ago you provided a link to a very interesting article by a fellow named Doidge. On the surface, it was a brief history of the ups and downs of HCL but, more importantly, it was Doidge's contention that the HCL controversy was a manifestation of a decline in the public's level of confidence in the trustworthiness of so-called evidence-based science due to things like lack of transparency, conflicts of interest, sloppiness, politicization of results, etc. So, who do we believe regarding the efficacy of masks? As a matter of curiosity, Sid, do you wear a mask?
                          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

• Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

Just another darling Dem ... CAUGHT.
                            I don't recall anyone in here, certainly not me, claiming that the Dem's are perfect in any way. They just look good compared to the insane Republican party. I saw this last night on that bastion of far left crazyness (according to you) MSNBC. So now it has a credible source. Doesn't change the fact that you posted an unsourced picture which by itself was not evidence of anything. For every Dem "caught" there are about a thousand Republicans going maskless with intention. But I am no fan of the Democratic party in the USA. I just prefer partly sane over completely batshit crazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Garland Best View Post

I certainly don't. What's happened to us in the last 44 years? Not that **we** were anything to write home about 44 years ago but today faith in the basic integrity of others has almost vanished.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

In the conclusion section: "The most important limitation is that the findings are inconclusive..."

These days there are studies about studies...

Research has shown that research causes cancer in rats.

Comment

Working...
                                X