COVID-19 ... how we cope :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "They Saved Hitler's Brain" is so bad, it's almost great. ;-)

Comment

• 2nd Impeachment of Trump is underway now in the House.
      Hopefully we get to a positive vote this afternoon.
      There are even reports now that the Senate may follow thru and remove him from office.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        2nd Impeachment of Trump is underway now in the House.
        Hopefully we get to a positive vote this afternoon.
        There are even reports now that the Senate may follow thru and remove him from office.
        Please, Bob, don't say "positive." I think we'll know more about how it will go in the Senate after the House votes. If House Republicans vote for impeachment by a large margin then maybe there's a chance for removal in the Senate. Personally I think there are still too many Republican cowards.
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

Please, Bob, don't say "positive." I think we'll know more about how it will go in the Senate after the House votes. If House Republicans vote for impeachment by a large margin then maybe there's a chance for removal in the Senate. Personally I think there are still too many Republican cowards.
          Of course by "positive" I meant a YES vote to Impeachment. I did pause to consider whether to say "positive' or "yes". I trusted everyone knew what I meant.

I am hearing lots of reports of Republicans ready to vote Yes to Impeachment, but is this just another case of Lucy and the football?

Comment

• Glenn Greenwald...

https://www.facebook.com/TuckerCarls...3082732536932/

...concise!

Comment

• Our election was hijacked. There is no question. Congress has a duty to #ProtectOurDemocracy & #FollowTheFacts.

https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/st...22009048494080

2017 ... Nancy Pelosi

LOOL!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

Of course by "positive" I meant a YES vote to Impeachment. I did pause to consider whether to say "positive' or "yes". I trusted everyone knew what I meant.

Sorry, Bob. I was just making a little (apparently very little) covid joke.
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

• Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

Ya, I agree ... don't know if it will help heal the country tho.
                  The U.S. has to heal from a ton of stuff, including this:

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2021/0...ite-supremacy/

Comment

More to what Rep. Byron Donalds had to say...

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6222455227001#sp=show-clips

Comment

Good article, thanks Peter.

Well, Trump is impeached again. It looks like McConnell is unwilling to recall the Senate in time for a quick trial.
                      Okay, fine. Let the new Senate under Democratic control do a proper trial. Lots and lots of witnesses and evidence.
                      But no rush. Lots of time to investigate, lots of time. Focus on the pandemic first. Trump trial can wait.

Comment

I am fearful that there is no healing ahead for the USA. We all know the saying "a house divided against itself cannot stand". We are about to find out in the next week or so just how profound that statement may be.

There are 2 big risks in the next week, and I'm basing that statement (and the accompanyiing two risks) on this bit of news out today:
                        "Stripped of his ability to air his grievances on Twitter after the House on Wednesday voted to impeach him for a second time, Trump is said by insiders to be wallowing in 'self-pity' and furious that his allies aren't publicly defending him"

So based on that, the first risk is that Trump decides (ion his sorry mental state) to instigate something that will embroil the U.S. for several years to come, and the top contender for that would be a war with Iran. Think about it: if Trump ordered a military action against Iran tomorrow and based it on some kind of "intelligence" of Iran action against the U.S., what is the Pentagon going to do? They are going to have to launch the military action. Over the final 7 days of his Presidency, I believe there is a 50-50 chance Trump goes for war with Iran.

Second risk is the action of far-right militias against U.S. state and federal governments. This wouldn't involve Trump himself, but at this point in his sorry mental state, I think Trump would welcome it. These militias could number in the multiple tens of thousands. Maybe multiple hundreds of thousands. Maybe millions, although that is very less likely. Even if they are put down, the harm to the U.S. over the next several years will be severe.

And there's even a third risk: that BOTH of these could happen at the same time.

I don't think the U.S. has been this much at risk since the Cuban missile crisis of 1962. And I think this risk is bigger.

If the next week plus passes and none of this comes to fruition, I will breathe a big sigh of relief. I'm not predicting either will happen, I am only warning of what COULD happen.

And if neither happens in the next week or two, I still predict there is no healing in store for the USA anytime soon. The polarization is just too extreme and the numbers on each side are just too large.

Comment

Our election was hijacked. There is no question. Congress has a duty to #ProtectOurDemocracy & #FollowTheFacts.

https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/st...22009048494080

2017 ... Nancy Pelosi

LOOL!!!

“I just don’t know why there aren’t uprisings all over the country, and maybe there will be.”

2018 ... Nancy Pelosi

LOOL!!!

Comment

• The world has reached 2 million deaths from covid.

Comment

Final study...

Click image for larger version  Name:	chessplayershomage_v.2.gif Views:	64 Size:	20.1 KB ID:	210930

...if all goes well I'll drop this 'homage' to our fallen brothers and sisters this coming Sunday.

Awhile back now, like in '07-ish, I created a fresh new line of candle guards ... yes, candle guards! Some skulls, some XOXOXO, freshness!

Here's one of them...

Click image for larger version

Name:	candleguard_XOXOXO_v.3.gif
Views:	68
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	211120

...shadows cast.

In order to guard the light you also guard the shadow.

K?

Here's the 'un-lit candle wick' proportional study of my homage (1 of 4) to our COVID fallen chess players...

Click image for larger version  Name:	chesscandleguard_v.01.gif Views:	0 Size:	192.8 KB ID:	211117

... :)

More coming Sunday-ish.

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Tuesday, 19th January, 2021, 04:38 AM.

Comment

• Ontario has gone ahead of Quebec in total cases.

Comment

Working...
                                X