COVID-19 ... how we cope :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stephen Humphreys View Post

Sid, If you review what I said during our discussion, you will see that I was only ever interested in discussing your use of the CDC best estimates. Based on how that discussion went, I don't see any point in expanding the discussion to include your theory. Have a nice day.
    I did review what was said during the discussion, when I asked you a simple question about whether I was understanding what you were saying correctly you immediately accused me of "changing the subject". I suspect that my interpretation did not fit your narrative so you became angry. Your whole premise was bullshit anyway's as the CDC's best estimates were for the US, not Canada. The IFR is influenced by a countries healthcare policies and to expect perfect homology between countries is nonsense. You would expect the IFR to be extremely similar with very low-risk groups and that was the case.

As far as my "theory" goes we have tens of thousands of Dr's in Canada whose hands are tied for the first time in their careers and they are unable to make life and death risk-benefit analysis decisions because of unprecedented Govt interference by medical bureaucrats who have never practiced medicine. That is not a "theory" that is a fact and the results to date are tragic.

So don't expect me to be courteous when people are unnecessarily dying around us and you want to waste time with nonsensical points to prove a fake narrative and when it is debunked you accuse me of changing the subject.
    Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Saturday, 30th January, 2021, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

It's a well known phenomenon to those who visit chesstalk regularly. It's called ABC Sid - Abusive, Belligerent, Condescending. Whenever the discussion doesn't suit Sid, ABC Sid suddenly shows up.

p.s. to Sid: take ownership of your behaviour and don't start with your usual "be very very careful, I'll sue, I'll sue" bullshit.

p.p.s. "Politeness and consideration for others' points of view are not flowers that grow in everyone's garden."
      Maggie Muggins, 1958
      Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people - Socrates

Comment

• Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post

Virology 101 - The virulence of a virus is inversely proportional to its viability.

Really? I did an Google search looking for that exact wording....

About 1,100,000 results (0.83 seconds)
        No results found for "The virulence of a virus is inversely proportional to its viability".

Please try again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

Really? I did an Google search looking for that exact wording....

About 1,100,000 results (0.83 seconds)
          No results found for "The virulence of a virus is inversely proportional to its viability".

Please try again.
          I do not parrot other people's words without attribution. I simply stated a basic fact about evolution that would likely be discussed in a first-year virology course. Here is a more complete exploration of viral evolution.

"Natural selection balances this trade-off, selecting for pathogens virulent enough to produce many offspring (that are likely to be able to infect a new host if the opportunity arises) but not so virulent that they prevent the current host from presenting them with opportunities for transmission."

https://evolution.berkeley.edu/evoli...201_adenovirus

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 9.56.14 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	233.6 KB ID:	211368
          Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Saturday, 30th January, 2021, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• To paraphrase Sid, a new virus (or mutant of an existing one) that kills its host before it can spread, ummm, doesn't spread very far.

Steve

P.S. Ugh, saw Sid's graphics *after* posting.

Comment

Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people - Socrates
              At risk of being a weak mind that discusses people, it doesn't seem that Socrates was the one who said this: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/11/18/great-minds/

Comment

I do not parrot other people's words without attribution. I simply stated a basic fact about evolution that would likely be discussed in a first-year virology course. Here is a more complete exploration of viral evolution.

"Natural selection balances this trade-off, selecting for pathogens virulent enough to produce many offspring (that are likely to be able to infect a new host if the opportunity arises) but not so virulent that they prevent the current host from presenting them with opportunities for transmission."

Click image for larger version Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 9.56.14 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	233.6 KB ID:	211368

Are you claiming that the covid virus is very close of killing its hosts before it can transmit to other hosts?

That isn't even CLOSE to being the case. In fact, as you should know, the virus is spreading via both symptomatic AND asymptomatic hosts over an extended period before the host eventually dies or recovers.

It isn't just about what % of the infected die, it's about SPEED of the infection process. If the hosts were being killed in the very first day of being infected, yeah, far less transmission. Not even close to being the case with covid.

And so the definition of virulence is not complete: the % of those infected being killed can still go up by a lot, but it it still takes weeks to happen during which the host is shedding virus, the increased virulence doesn't inhibit transmission.

Last edited by Pargat Perrer; Sunday, 31st January, 2021, 04:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

Are you claiming that the covid virus is very close of killing its hosts before it can transmit to other hosts?

That isn't even CLOSE to being the case. In fact, as you should know, the virus is spreading via both symptomatic AND asymptomatic hosts over an extended period before the host eventually dies or recovers.

It isn't just about what % of the infected die, it's about SPEED of the infection process. If the hosts were being killed in the very first day of being infected, yeah, far less transmission. Not even close to being the case with covid.

And so the definition of virulence is not complete: the % of those infected being killed can still go up by a lot, but it it still takes weeks to happen during which the host is shedding virus, the increased virulence doesn't inhibit transmission.

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post
                  the virus is spreading via both symptomatic AND asymptomatic hosts
                  Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Sunday, 31st January, 2021, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post

At risk of being a weak mind that discusses people, it doesn't seem that Socrates was the one who said this: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/11/18/great-minds/
                    Interesting, I did not know that. Thank you! I still agree wholeheartedly with the quote.

Comment

• From recent NYTimes - interesting overview of the state of alternative therapies, amongst other COVID topics.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/30/health/covid-drugs-antivirals.html?smid=em-share

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony Boron View Post
                        From recent NYTimes - interesting overview of the state of alternative therapies, amongst other COVID topics.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/30/health/covid-drugs-antivirals.html?smid=em-share
                        That article has many falsehoods, not the least of which is the claim that HCQ does not work. This month THe American Journal of Medicine published this peer-reviewed paper supporting the efficacy of HCQ. The publication of this article caused Facebook to reverse its policy of banning Dr's and Scientists who supported the efficacy of HCQ. THe American Journal Of Medicine is considered one of the most prestigious medical journals in the world.

https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002...673-2/fulltext
                        Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Sunday, 31st January, 2021, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony Boron View Post
                          From recent NYTimes - interesting overview of the state of alternative therapies, amongst other COVID topics.

Thanks, Tony.

p.s. Oops. Meant to mention that the article contains a condemnation directed at Trump (and this is not a falsehood):

"The first supposed panacea was hydroxychloroquine, a drug developed for malaria. Television pundits claimed it had healing powers, as did President Trump. Rather than start one large, well-designed trial across many hospitals, doctors began a swarm of small trials. “There was no coordination, and no centralized leadership,” said Ilan Schwartz, an infectious disease expert at the University of Alberta."
                          Last edited by Peter McKillop; Sunday, 31st January, 2021, 03:50 PM.
                          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

That article has many falsehoods, not the least of which is the claim that HCQ does not work. This month THe American Journal of Medicine published this peer-reviewed paper supporting the efficacy of HCQ. The publication of this article caused Facebook to reverse its policy of banning Dr's and Scientists who supported the efficacy of HCQ. THe American Journal Of Medicine is considered one of the most prestigious medical journals in the world.

https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002...673-2/fulltext
                            Thanks, Sid.

Comment

That article has many falsehoods ....
                              Clarification request: 'falsehood' is frequently used as a synonym for 'lie'; do you mean that the article contains lies or do you mean that it contains incorrect information?

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post

.... THe American Journal Of Medicine is considered one of the most prestigious medical journals in the world. ....
                              Based on a metric called 'journal impact factor', the American Journal of Medicine is not among the top twenty medical journals. So, depending on your definition of "most prestigious," your claim about the AJM could be construed as a falsehood.

https://www-kolabtree-com.cdn.amppro...-publish-in%2F
                              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

• Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

Thanks, Sid.
                                Thanks, Neil.

Comment

Working...
                                X