Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• from Wikipedia:
    Virulence
    Virulence is a pathogen's or microbe's ability to cause damage to a host. In most contexts, especially in animal systems, virulence refers to the degree of damage caused by a microbe to its host.

Note that the above definition doesn't mention THE TIME it takes for the pathogen to do damage to the host.

If the pathogen can reside in the host for some time, during which the pathogen can be spread by the host to other hosts, and THEN the pathogen kills its host, you have both high virulence AND high transmission. Because of the high transmission, this is a viable path of evolution for a pathogen.

And it seems to be the evolutionary path that covid is indeed taking.

In the diagram you provided, Sid, it shows an either / or situation, but in fact they can be combined into a 3rd scenario in which the virus in the host, the host is transmitting the virus, and THEN the virus explodes in the host to cause hospitalization / death.

So your diagram, and the article in which it is contained, is a falsehood.

Kudos to Peter McKillop for making Sid's own claims of articles posted by others "containing falsehoods" to be rebounded right back to Sid and the articles Sid posts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

Clarification request: 'falsehood' is frequently used as a synonym for 'lie'; do you mean that the article contains lies or do you mean that it contains incorrect information?

Based on a metric called 'journal impact factor', the American Journal of Medicine is not among the top twenty medical journals. So, depending on your definition of "most prestigious," your claim about the AJM could be construed as a falsehood.

https://www-kolabtree-com.cdn.amppro...-publish-in%2F
      Here is information about The American Journal of Medicine also known as "The Green Journal"

"The American Journal of Medicine is a peer-reviewed medical journal and the official journal of the Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine. It was established in 1946.[1] The journal is published monthly by Elsevier under its Excerpta Medica imprint. It is also known as "The Green Journal".[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Am...al_of_Medicine
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nlmcatalog/0267200
      https://journals.lww.com/greenjourna...heJournal.aspx

As per "The Green Journal"

Obstetrics & Gynecology is the official publication of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Popularly known as "The Green Journal," Obstetrics & Gynecology has been published since 1953. Then as is now, the goal of the journal is to promote excellence in the clinical practice of obstetrics and gynecology and closely related fields. To do so, the journal publishes articles on a variety of translational and clinical topics.
      Obstetrics & Gynecology reaches over 45,000 members and non-member subscribers.

Impact Factor
      Obstetrics & Gynecology's 2019 impact factor is 5.524. The journal's ranking is the sixth highest impact factor out of all 82 obstetrics and gynecology journals.

As per your clarification request re The New York Times, I do not have enough data to determine if it was a lie (knowingly spreading false information) or simply incorrect information.
      I do know that the excerpt you posted is also a falsehood.

“There was no coordination, and no centralized leadership, Rather than start one large, well-designed trial across many hospitals, doctors began a swarm of small trials. “There was no coordination, and no centralized leadership,"

The initial HCQ Combo trial was led by one of the top infectious disease experts on the planet Dr Didier Raoult https://expertscape.com/au/infectiou...es/Raoult%2C+D that was initially a small trial that successfully was expanded to a trial involving over 3700 patients.
      Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Sunday, 31st January, 2021, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post

The initial HCQ Combo trial was led by one of the top infectious disease experts on the planet Dr Didier Raoult https://expertscape.com/au/infectiou...es/Raoult%2C+D that was initially a small trial that successfully was expanded to a trial involving over 3700 patients.
        The above is the only part of your post I have time to address right now. I don't want you to think that I'm negative and closed-minded with respect to HCQ. I'm open-minded and, if I ever test +ve for covid, HCQ is one of the first items on my discussion list for my doctor. Several months ago you posted a link to an excellent article about HCQ. It was that article that changed my mind. I recommend it to anyone who is interested.

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/s...-morality-tale
        Last edited by Peter McKillop; Sunday, 31st January, 2021, 06:43 PM. Reason: Change HCL to HCQ
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

• Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

from Wikipedia:
          Virulence
          Virulence is a pathogen's or microbe's ability to cause damage to a host. In most contexts, especially in animal systems, virulence refers to the degree of damage caused by a microbe to its host.

Note that the above definition doesn't mention THE TIME it takes for the pathogen to do damage to the host.

If the pathogen can reside in the host for some time, during which the pathogen can be spread by the host to other hosts, and THEN the pathogen kills its host, you have both high virulence AND high transmission. Because of the high transmission, this is a viable path of evolution for a pathogen.

And it seems to be the evolutionary path that covid is indeed taking.

In the diagram you provided, Sid, it shows an either / or situation, but in fact they can be combined into a 3rd scenario in which the virus in the host, the host is transmitting the virus, and THEN the virus explodes in the host to cause hospitalization / death.

So your diagram, and the article in which it is contained, is a falsehood.

Kudos to Peter McKillop for making Sid's own claims of articles posted by others "containing falsehoods" to be rebounded right back to Sid and the articles Sid posts.

Originally posted by Peter Mckillop}\
          The above is the only part of your post I have time to address right now. I don't want you to think that I'm negative and closed-minded with respect to HCQ. I'm open-minded and, if I ever test +ve for covid, HCL is one of the first items on my discussion list for my doctor. Several months ago you posted a link to an excellent article about HCQ. It was that article that changed my mind. I recommend it to anyone who is interested.

Pargat I would ask that you humor Peter and me and read this frankly somewhat longish article. Let me know if and when you have read it. The way I
          want to respond to your post will not make sense to you unless you have read the article.
          Thanks,
          Sid

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

Thanks, Neil.
            So brilliantly funny!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

So brilliantly funny!!
              Thanks, Aris.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

Thanks, Aris.
                Excellent LOL!!!

Comment

That article has many falsehoods, not the least of which is the claim that HCQ does not work. This month THe American Journal of Medicine published this peer-reviewed paper supporting the efficacy of HCQ. The publication of this article caused Facebook to reverse its policy of banning Dr's and Scientists who supported the efficacy of HCQ. THe American Journal Of Medicine is considered one of the most prestigious medical journals in the world.

https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002...673-2/fulltext
                  Why don't you comment on the article at the New York Times where you may be able to educate thousands ?

Comment

• Re: The American Journal Of Medicine

from Fact Check: Did the American Journal of Medicine Recommend Hydroxychloroquine For COVID? (newsweek.com)

""This article does not mean the journal recommended this therapy," he said. "The authors recommended it just as others recommend other interventions. We just publish their findings and recommendations."

Alpert said the journal often presents multiple sides of a scientific argument."

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony Boronn211410

Why don't you comment on the article at the New York Times where you may be able to educate thousands ?
                      Where did I claim that the American Journal of Medicine takes a position one way or the other? To get a paper into this publication it needs to be peer-reviewed.
                      The fact is that the editor considers it a valid enough scientific argument that we are not talking about "snake oil" as per the current US VP. The American Journal of
                      Medicine is not known for publishing non-peer-reviewed articles on "snake oil" in an effort to show "multiple sides of a scientific argument."

Originally posted by Tony Boronn211410
                      Thank you for asking. I believe if you read this article that will shed some light on why I would not do that.

Comment

Thank you for asking. I believe if you read this article that will shed some light on why I would not do that.

Perhaps you could summarize why you would not comment on the New York Times article (that is what I was referring to) in the comments section to that article on the New York TImes website, where the comments are seen by thousands, and may have some influence ?

Comment

Where did I claim that the American Journal of Medicine takes a position one way or the other? To get a paper into this publication it needs to be peer-reviewed.
                          Why are you asking me ? Did I say that you claimed anything one way or the other ?

Comment

The American Journal of Medicine is not known for publishing non-peer-reviewed articles on "snake oil" in an effort to show "multiple sides of a scientific argument."
                            I tried snake oil once.... now when my hands shake, they rattle.

Also I grew fangs.

And now when I eat mice, I swallow them whole.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

I tried snake oil once.... now when my hands shake, they rattle.

Also I grew fangs.

And now when I eat mice, I swallow them whole.
                              :-) Lol....that is funny. I once tried Rattle snake meat at the Grizzly restaurant in Banff http://banffgrizzlyhouse.com/dinner-menu/ but don't recall those
                              symptoms! Here is a lawsuit filed today in the British Columbia Supreme court today by The Canadian Society For
                              The Advancement of Science in Public Policy that you might find interesting. Paragraph 6 p.12 refers to Gov't interference
                              in the Dr Patient relationship.
                              https://www.scribd.com/document/4922...of-Civil-Claim
                              Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Wednesday, 3rd February, 2021, 07:01 PM.

Comment

:-) Lol....that is funny. I once tried Rattle snake meat at the Grizzly restaurant in Banff but don't recall those
                                symptoms! Here is a lawsuit filed today in the British Columbia Supreme court today by The Canadian Society For
                                The Advancement of Science in Public Policy that you might find interesting. Paragraph 6 p.12 refers to Gov't interference
                                in the Dr Patient relationship.
                                https://www.scribd.com/document/4922...of-Civil-Claim
                                Here's a frontline Ontario ER physician, respected by his colleagues, who the Ford gov't is trying to punish for criticism of the gov't's pandemic policies. All of this assumes the newspaper reporter got the facts right but, still, it gives pause for thought regarding gov't interference and efforts to be non-transparent. Sid, I assumed your claims of gov't interference in doctor-patient relationships was U.S. based but it appears the situation in Canada deserves a closer look.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...rd-government/
                                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
                                X