Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Best
    replied
    This is the position after white played K-N4 (descriptive). The text in the book reads as follows "16 K-N4 and P-B5+ wins". (+ meaning white wins) In the three continuations given in the book, there is no immediate advance of the bishop pawn. After black moves his king, I have noticed that engines contemplate pushing white's bishop pawn but then decide to move the white king instead. My specific problem is that I do not understand the quoted text.

Leave a comment:

• George Best
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Egidijus Zeromskis
    replied
    Originally posted by George Best View Post
    I need an explanation regarding position #670 on page 204 of "Pawn Endings" by Y Averbakh and I Maizelis. In the left hand column on page 205 after the move 16 K-N4 (descriptive notation) it says "and P-B5+ wins". This means P-B5 wins for white. However, in the notes that follow labelled a, b and c, there is no immediate advance of the bishop pawn. I do not understand what "and P-B5 + wins" means in this context.
    Position? FEN for a diagram.

Leave a comment:

• George Best
    replied
    I need an explanation regarding position #670 on page 204 of "Pawn Endings" by Y Averbakh and I Maizelis. In the left hand column on page 205 after the move 16 K-N4 (descriptive notation) it says "and P-B5+ wins". This means P-B5 wins for white. However, in the notes that follow labelled a, b and c, there is no immediate advance of the bishop pawn. I do not understand what "and P-B5 + wins" means in this context.
    Last edited by George Best; Saturday, 24th October, 2020, 11:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• George Best
    replied
    Thank you for the responses and the book references. I just bought the kindle edition of "Secrets of Pawn Endings" and will see what I can learn further about this ending (Neustadtl-Porges 1901)

Leave a comment:

• Hans Jung
    replied
    A good to know mini-exercise in king triangulation. I'll save that one for my students.

Leave a comment:

• Emil Smilovici
    replied
    The Neustadtl – Porges, 1901 position is a famous ending, long known to be a win for White. The solution(s) is more than 20 moves long and well explained in the Averbach & Maizelis “Pawn Endings” books (first published in 1950 and respectively 1981) and in “Secrets of Pawn Endings” – Müller & Lamprecht (2000).
    All these books have been re-printed in the last decade and are available.

I don’t know about Freezer but for the position mentioned, probably it would be as useful as Encyclopedia of Chess Endings I - Pawn Endings (2013) – diagram # 1816.
    Last edited by Emil Smilovici; Tuesday, 6th October, 2020, 11:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kerry Liles
    replied
    Originally posted by George Best View Post
    I enjoy analyzing pawn endgames more than playing matches. I wanted to find out if anyone here has experience with a program called Freezer which I understand can be used to exhaustively analyze a pawn endgame containing more pawns or pieces than an endgame tablebase can handle. In effect it would create a tablebase for that specific endgame position.

I have become obsessed with Position #135 in Basic Chess Endings (Neustadtl-Porges) which I believe is a draw and have thought about using Freezer or a comparable software to analyze it
    For those who wondered (like I did) what "Freezer" was, here is a link: http://www.freezerchess.com

It seems that it is/was sold through Shredderchess.com but I don't see it listed on that site... has anyone bought it or used it?

If you click on the "Buy Freezer now" link you end up in an online store with the Canadian price of 136.87 CAD (!)

Anyone have this? Last "news" was from 2005...

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Komer
    replied
    Endgame Studies

October 5, 2020

From Basic Chess Endings:

No. 135, Neustadtl-Porges

White to play

Fine says: In No. 135, White wants to occupy the square d4. To do so he must first occupy e4, with the Black king at c5. He has two squares (e3 and f3) from which he can approach e4, while Black has only one. Thus he can reach his goal by 1.Kf3 Kc6 2.Ke2 Kc5 3.Kf2 Kc6 4.Kf3 Kd5 5.Ke3 Kc5 6.Ke4 h4 (and so forth).

Leave a comment:

• George Best
    started a topic Endgame Studies

Endgame Studies

I enjoy analyzing pawn endgames more than playing matches. I wanted to find out if anyone here has experience with a program called Freezer which I understand can be used to exhaustively analyze a pawn endgame containing more pawns or pieces than an endgame tablebase can handle. In effect it would create a tablebase for that specific endgame position.

I have become obsessed with Position #135 in Basic Chess Endings (Neustadtl-Porges) which I believe is a draw and have thought about using Freezer or a comparable software to analyze it
Working...
X