X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garland Best
    replied
    Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post
    "Ya"??? The word is "You" and you should use it and you should also quote the person you are responding to so s/he knows who you are referring to.
    Okay, apparently informal speech is a no-no. So much for my attempts to be light and casual. Noted. My response was intended for both you and Peter, so I did not feel the need to quote anyone.

You know what, I'm not even going into it. I mean, it's just so obvious that only an apologist capitalist would need to think of empathy rather than greed as the true basis of capitalism. In other words, a capitalist who knows down deep in his or her soul that it is really about greed, but just can't admit it because they have a inner and very private moral problem with it. So they apologize for it by inventing empathy as their "true" motivation. Go ahead, soothe your soul if you must.
    Sorry, I thought that since the topic was brought up, it was OK to bring up alternative viewpoints for discussion. I did not express any opinion on your morality and whether you had a moral problem. And I also posted more than one link on the topic, with different views on the topic. Can we attempt to be more objective before posting? Thanks very much.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Frarey
    replied

So did somebody lose an election and make you POTUS? lol
    Effin jerk off?

lol

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Tuesday, 19th January, 2021, 05:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Frarey
    replied

Not about Capitalism nor Greed ... is it Pargat?

True colors! More about your empty effin words on yet another effin forum.

You're all the same hustle.

When (if) ya grow some balls ... we'll talk about ya Greed vs ya Growth.

Woohoo?

lol

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Tuesday, 19th January, 2021, 05:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Frarey
    replied

That's all ya got???

Leave a comment:

• Pargat Perrer
    replied
    Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
    I see .... blah blah blah blah.

So to me ... blah blah blah blah

Leave a comment:

• Dilip Panjwani
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

To quote Peter, "C'mon Dilip, are you kidding me?"

Dude, talk like that will get you tossed out of the country club. In every conversation I have ever had with somebody who defends Capitalism, they preach greed as an essential feature of Capitalism, and they are very proud of it.
    Bob, perhaps you can share the wisdom of the articles referenced by Garland with the fellas in your country club...if you do it empathetically, they won't toss you out for it...

Leave a comment:

• Neil Frarey
    replied
    I see capital wealth as natural growth with no limit on the growth of your wealth.

So to me the word Greed is a corrosive word on any level, large or small, even in your application of the word greed.

Leave a comment:

• Pargat Perrer
    replied
    Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

Again, you're conflating two separate ideas ... Capitalist and Greed.
    That might be true if I were saying every capitalist is greedy. I'm not going that far.

And I did say also that I don't have a problem with greed per se. Some amount of greed is healthy for both the individual and the community.

My specific problem with it is when it becomes the overriding impulse in certain professions where it has no business at all, and I made the two examples of politics and medicine. I would add mental health and long term care to that list of professions.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Frarey
    replied

The vast majority of capitalists do NOT ask themselves how much wealth they need. They ask how much wealth can they accumulate.
    Again, you're conflating two separate ideas ... Capitalist and Greed.

Leave a comment:

• Pargat Perrer
    replied
    Originally posted by Dilip Panjwani View Post

greed: rapacious/extortionate desire for something, with an implication of desire to acquire something illegally or something you can do without, in the opinion of the accuser, though the accused may have good and valid reasons to acquire it and may be acquiring it legally and ethically.
    It is a term used by those against capitalism to denigrate capitalists. Greed is not an essential component of capitalism.

Where did you get that definition of greed? Merriam-Webster defines it as follows:

"a selfish and excessive desire for more of something (such as money) than is needed."

The vast majority of capitalists do NOT ask themselves how much wealth they need. They ask how much wealth can they accumulate.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Frarey
    replied

"Ya"??? The word is "You" and you should use it and you should also quote the person you are responding to so s/he knows who you are referring to.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/ya

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ya

https://slangit.com/meaning/ya

...next.

Leave a comment:

• Pargat Perrer
    replied

No, calling capitalists 'greedy' for wealth is like calling bees 'greedy' for honey....

You are trying to be so clever, and failing miserably.

Are there honeybees that HOARD honey for themself as an individual honeybee? Do they have offshore bank accounts to deposit their honey to avoid honey taxes?

There are capitalists that hoard wealth, and there are MANY MANY capitalists who go to great lengths to avoid paying taxes from their hoard of wealth, not even caring that the taxes are needed to keep their community healthy. They are fine to argue and debate about how those taxes are spent, but they are greedy to go to such lengths to avoid paying the taxes in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• Pargat Perrer
    replied
    Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
    Ya might want to read this article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/rainerz...h=983cc7b67aae

Although this one is probably more in line with Peter, given his reading history. https://www.theatlantic.com/business...s-idea/360265/

Since I'm assuming it's me because I brought up greed, the first article you pointed to has this as its concluding line:

"Empathy, the ability to recognize the desires and needs of others, is the true basis of capitalism—not unbridled greed and selfishness."

The first mistake made in that line is the error of assuming it's an either / or proposition. The true basis of capitalism is either empathy OR it is greed? No. Absolutely not. In fact, empathy would seem to be the MECHANISM by which the greed is satisfied. One of the hardest things to prove in a court case is intent, and here we are debating intent of the typical capitalst: is s/he empathic or is s/he greedy or some combination of both? I doubt very much that the vast majority (or even a sizeable minority) of capitalists wake up one day and wonder: "What can I do to satisfy the needs and desires of the world?" Most of them thing "I wonder what I can do to make a boatload of money." But... you want to argue the other viewpoint, you are welcome to your opinion, I don't share it at all and I invite you to prove your opinion is true for a majority of capitalists.

So first the majority of capitalists think how can I make a boatload of money, THEN they think (maybe) about satisfying the needs and desires of people.

But wait... there are two problem words in that above quote from the Forbes article: "recognize" and "desires".

In a great many cases, you could substitute the word "create" for the word "recognize". Did people really crave Pet Rocks BEFORE they were first imagined? Or Rubik Cubes? Or Pokemon?

The list is practically endless of products and services that were imagined to CREATE a new desire or "need" for consumers. And again, most of the time that was done for one purpose: to make a boatload of money.

Now, the word "desires" is a real weasel word that gets to the point of greed. Greed is all about desires. Greed feeds on greed.

You know what, I'm not even going into it. I mean, it's just so obvious that only an apologist capitalist would need to think of empathy rather than greed as the true basis of capitalism. In other words, a capitalist who knows down deep in his or her soul that it is really about greed, but just can't admit it because they have a inner and very private moral problem with it. So they apologize for it by inventing empathy as their "true" motivation. Go ahead, soothe your soul if you must.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gillanders
    replied

Greed is not an essential component of capitalism.
    To quote Peter, "C'mon Dilip, are you kidding me?"

Dude, talk like that will get you tossed out of the country club. In every conversation I have ever had with somebody who defends Capitalism, they preach greed as an essential feature of Capitalism, and they are very proud of it.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Frarey
    replied

No, calling capitalists 'greedy' for wealth is like calling bees 'greedy' for honey....
    Brilliant!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X