X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aris Marghetis
    replied
    Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
    A very classy move by Aris, to withdraw from contention for FIDE rep, explaining his reasoning as he did so, and then to endorse Victor for the position.
    From a personal perspective, through my dealings as an organizer with Aris for more than ten years, I have no doubt whatsoever that Aris could have done a fantastic job in this role. Perhaps a future time may bring this position, or a similar one, within reach for him.
    Either Victor or Vadim would be an excellent choice, going forward, for Canadian chess.
    Respectfully,
    Frank Dixon
    NTD, Kingston
    Thank you Frank for the kind words, I appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• Victor Plotkin
    replied

This morning, I got a call from my friend and long-time business partner. He is a Soviet Union CM that currently lives in St. Petersburg Russia. I have been friends with him since 1976. Currently, he is not an active chess player, however, occasionally plays blitz in St. Petersburg. He informed me that he recently got a very strange call from a well-known chess organizer named Vladimir Bykov (V.B).

V.B asked my friend whether he knew of me, and of course he answered yes, because we are long-time friends. Bykov informed my friend that Victor Plotkin is currently participating in a chess election in Canada against Vadim Tsypin. Bykov told my friend that "Vadim is a good guy and Victor Plotkin should step down from his candidacy." Some very influential people in the FIDE had asked Bykov to call my friend.

When my friend told me about the call between him and Bykov, I was very surprised. In Russia, calling someone and giving such a powerful message is a clear threat. After some hesitation, I decided to contact Emil Sutovsky, and I asked him for his advice regarding this information.

Here are the most important parts of our chat translated into English (it was in Russian, on Facebook Messenger):

V.P: Hello, Emil! I hope you remember me - we have interacted numerous times at Olympiads and in Gibraltar. I recall that in Canada's match against Israel, you beat Gerzhoy on the second board, in the Carro-Cann. The match ended with a score of 2-2.

E.S: Victor, of course I remember you, I also remember seeing you at Aeroflot Opens.

I explained the situation to him, he understood and took it very seriously. It was a priority for him to assure me that the FIDE is unrelated here.

V.P: Emil, there is no doubt in my mind that neither you, nor Dvorkovich, have any relation to this whatsoever. Rather, all I'm asking for is some advice, from friend to friend. I ask that you understand me correctly - what happened today was absolutely brutal for me to hear.

E.S: Why do you need to consider Bykov's opinion?

V.P: Of course, I have no intention of heeding his advice. But it is evident to me that Tsypin initiated this. This all seems somewhat disturbing, wouldn't you agree?

E.S: Certainly. Well, the question here is whether or not Tsypin crossed any lines, made any threats, or did anything of the sort.

He then asked me about my opinion on this election, my answer was that it is approximately equal at this point, because many players support me, but Tsypin has the support of the President and of some chess politicians.

E.S: I understand. Disregard this (Bykov's message). This most certainly doesn't improve his image. I can only reiterate that under no circumstances can we try to have an impact. And if anyone suggests this, it's a lie.

I thanked him for discussing this with me. Soon after, he asked about the reason behind Marghetis' resignation.

V.P: He did it in my favor, I want to emphasize that I did not initiate this, and had never asked him about it. Why? It seems that I, a more neutral candidate in this instance, was suitable, in his view. I am not an arbiter, I don't earn money from chess, and I am not looking for personal benefits from this position.

E.S: You are a surprisingly decent person for a candidate.

Sutovsky took this issue very seriously, and immediately informed the FIDE President, Arkady Dvorkovich. Very soon after this, Vlad Drkulec, Vadim Tsypin, and I received an official email from a FIDE lawyer stating:

Dear colleagues. I am writing this letter on behalf of the FIDE President.

"In connection with a number of questions that arise regarding the upcoming elections of Canada’s representative in FIDE, we would like to officially assure FIDE’s position.
    FIDE always takes an absolutely neutral position on elections in any federation, considers elections to be the internal affair of each federation, and works equally fruitfully and constructively with any representative elected in the respective federation".

I do not know if Vadim crossed a line, and I don't have enough evidence to take this to court, nor do I have any intention of doing this as of now. Actually, I don't know Bykov at all, and likely, before last week, he was not aware of my existence either. The only person who could have initiated this chain of contacts is Tsypin, who tried to put some pressure on me to step down from this election. This reflects so negatively on his personality. I don't understand how any voting member, with the best interests of Canadian chess in mind, would be ready to support him.

Leave a comment:

• Frank Dixon
    replied
    A very classy move by Aris, to withdraw from contention for FIDE rep, explaining his reasoning as he did so, and then to endorse Victor for the position.
    From a personal perspective, through my dealings as an organizer with Aris for more than ten years, I have no doubt whatsoever that Aris could have done a fantastic job in this role. Perhaps a future time may bring this position, or a similar one, within reach for him.
    Either Victor or Vadim would be an excellent choice, going forward, for Canadian chess.
    Respectfully,
    Frank Dixon
    NTD, Kingston

Leave a comment:

• Erik Malmsten
    replied
    Thanks Aris. I think of Canada's FIDE rep being somebody who represents Canada's players in FIDE events, rather than an IA (Although Phil Haley made an excellent contribution during his years as TD of the Olympiads). Victor has been our Olympiad coach, himself plays in international events, and can represent masters. As well he has a son who has played in international youth events, so he can also represent parents of youth players in international events. Like Prentice, he can afford to travel and not be distracted trying to get IA gigs to make a living.

Leave a comment:

• Ken Green
    replied
    Thanks, Aris for this. This is a great analysis. I know both men and their contributions to Canadian chess, however, I only know Vadim personally as I've collaborated with him in the past. If Victor has what it takes to represent Canada well, I think it makes perfect sense for us to have two Canadians at the FIDE management level. And it will be a great opportunity to have both Vadim and Victor collaborating for Canadian chess.

Personally, I'm disappointed with Canadian Chess and I strongly think the CFC can do more, with all of our support, to elevate chess in this country.

Leave a comment:

• Aris Marghetis
    started a topic CFC FIDE Representative: Aris Marghetis endorses Victor Plotkin

CFC FIDE Representative: Aris Marghetis endorses Victor Plotkin

Dear Canadian chess family, like most of you, I am a chess person for life. I deeply believe chess is a wonderful unique activity that transcends so many possible divisions in life. A 5-year-old can play a 95-year-old; where it doesn't matter at all what's their size, gender, ethnicity, religion, nation, etc.

Chess is so special!

And that's why I have chosen to serve the game to the best of my abilities, mostly as an Arbiter, but also as a teacher, especially of complete beginners. I love starting families off on a lifetime of chess!

My use of the phrase "to serve" is very intentional. I feel deeply we should all strive to do what is genuinely best for the game of chess, from fundamental grass roots all the way to CFC and FIDE.

So, when Hal Bond resigned as CFC FIDE Representative, I was moved by proposals that I continue serving, as the next CFC FIDE Representative. With my long spectrum of experiences across Canada, the United States, and FIDE; it looked like a great fit for everyone. I was very excited to get started!

Unfortunately, during this pandemic, especially since Christmas, our family has been shocked by a mean series of deaths, strokes / heart attacks, and other hospitalizations. I respectfully withdraw.

That leaves two candidates, Victor Plotkin and Vadim Tsypin. Both men are very intelligent, very industrious; and each in his own way, very successful. There are differences, none more obvious than Vadim's current position on the FIDE Management Board. Even before "conflict of interest".

Please consider the following analysis.

Decades ago, John Prentice honourably represented Canada within FIDE leadership. For the first time since then, we have a Canadian within FIDE management. This is a very good thing. Then the question we should ask ourselves is a strategic one. Given that Vadim already is where he is, then between Vadim and Victor, who would be the better choice as CFC FIDE Representative? Another way of phrasing this is: who would not be the lesser candidate? Here is my strategic thinking:

1) Vadim has been on the FIDE Management Board since 2018. During that time, Vadim has maintained a very close relationship with CFC President Vlad Drkulec. Could that get any better with Vadim as CFC FIDE Representative? Despite the flowery words and some adamant posts, the answer is: of course not. All it would do is to erode Vadim's influence within FIDE leadership. The new danger is that whenever Vadim speaks at the FIDE level, sometimes people will understandably wonder whether Vadim is wearing his FIDE management hat or one of his CFC hats. Why risk that?!

2) The counter-argument that Vadim can "get things done" better than before just doesn't add up. Vadim has already been there since 2018, always with a very tight relationship with Vlad, so how would it suddenly get better for the CFC? So there's a potential downside, but no potential upside.

3) Every organization has a leadership pyramid. The FIDE Management Board is up there in the FIDE leadership pyramid. Further down, but quite importantly, the Zonal Presidents and national delegates to FIDE are also part of the FIDE leadership pyramid. We have a unique opportunity to double how many Canadians in this conversation. Why in the world wouldn't we take advantage?!

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have discussed my concerns with both Vadim and Vlad, who has apparently decided to support Vadim. I have clearly expressed my profound disappointment over the strategic mistake of installing Vadim as CFC FIDE Representative. Now I make my case to you.

Victor Plotkin is a man of integrity, and is stepping up to serve chess, with no expected reward other than just that, serving chess, for both CFC and FIDE. At the upcoming February 2021 special meeting, I heartily encourage you to vote for Victor Plotkin as our next CFC FIDE Representative.

If you want to chat before voting, I'll make time for you. If you Skype, my Name is "arismarghetis".

Thank you, best regards, Aris Marghetis.
Working...
X