Solving chess one position at a time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solving chess one position at a time

If anybody is interested in an evaluated position exchange pm me here or at latin chess master at g mail dot com.
    Your computer evaluations must go to 60 ply at least. Terms of agreement are flexible.
    Of course if you need evaluations and do not have a computer I can provide them (for a fee ).
    Last edited by Mario Moran-Venegas; Tuesday, 9th November, 2021, 12:55 AM.

If you're lucky with the position it could be already in chessbase online archives (the chessbase feature).
    60 ply - that's a lot.

Comment

Chessbase database got data from users via paychess.
      I remember contributing evaluations deeper than 60 ply. But when I tried to check if they have added it they were nowhere to be found. So I tried 30 ply and yes it was there!
      I did this a couple of times with the same result. Is chessbase keeping the saleable (deeper)evaluations to themselves for a future sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Moran-Venegas View Post
        Chessbase database got data from users via paychess.
        I remember contributing evaluations deeper than 60 ply. But when I tried to check if they have added it they were nowhere to be found. So I tried 30 ply and yes it was there!
        I did this a couple of times with the same result. Is chessbase keeping the saleable (deeper)evaluations to themselves for a future sale?
        I think I'd be interested in this topic. But I am not certain what computer specs are needed to do this deep an evaluation, in what amount of time? Obviously something reasonalble, maybe a dozen hours or something? What are the specs of your computer? And what engine are you using?

You can PM me if you desire, but this is an interesting topic, why not make it public on ChessTalk? Well yes I do know topics get hijacked often here. So I guess that's why. It''s hard to avoid it, I even did it myself. Hans Jung started a topic in U.S. championship, Neil Frarey interjected with a mention of women's ratings, and I responded, and suddenly the whole thread is about women's ELO ratings versus men's ELO ratings. Sorry, Hans! I don't think this problem is unique to ChessTalk.

Comment

There is a few people in Canada that have systems (working on chess) that are between a home PC and a supercomputer .(64 to hundreds of cores).
          Nepo announced that he is using a supercomputer but is not one of the top 50.

Comment

What would you pay for evaluation of a chess position at depth 60 or 70 ply? A computer that would do this in a couple of hours is around ten thousand dollars. Less than one hour then $50000.

Comment

Time to reach any given ply depends on the position, Mario. I use a Ryzen 7 3700, 8 core (16 logical), 64 GB cache and a SSD. Cost around 2grand and I generally go 65-70 ply for my ICCF games. Sometimes it takes 3-4 hours to get there, sometimes 18+.

Comment

Mario & Sam - do you guys know at all how much you freak us patzers out??

Bob A

Comment

Don't worry, Bob, it doesn't help my OTB play at all. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Sharpe View Post
                    Time to reach any given ply depends on the position, Mario. I use a Ryzen 7 3700, 8 core (16 logical), 64 GB cache and a SSD. Cost around 2grand and I generally go 65-70 ply for my ICCF games. Sometimes it takes 3-4 hours to get there, sometimes 18+.
                    Cloud computing is great for stuff like this. You can create a virtual machine, run it for a few hours, then delete it and only pay for the hours it existed. For US$0.57 per hour on Google Cloud Platform you can get a cpu-optimized VM with 16 cores and 14G of memory. So, under C$3 for 4 hours of analysis. No need to have a $10K or $50K real machine sitting idle 99.99% of the time.

Comment

$3 for 4 hrs = $18/day = $6,570/ per year .... Gadzooks! I run basically 7/24 with CPU @ 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Sharpe View Post
                        How do you decide when to stop the analysis and make a move in these ICCF games? Especially for the most complicated positions.

Comment

If I could figure that out, I'd have my GM title. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                            Mario & Sam - do you guys know at all how much you freak us patzers out??

Bob A
                            Bob, it's your ex-roomie Mario MV's birthday today!
                            Mebbe gift him 64 cores (not Apple).....and he turns 64!

Comment

Mario - 64 is such a significant number!! Have a great one!

That train left the station for me eons ago!

Bob A

P.S. Thanks Frances........

Comment

Working...
                              X