X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Castle
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Daswani View Post
    this is by far the dumbest thread on here right now. even dumber than the covid thread
    Thank you Ben.

Leave a comment:

• Roger Patterson
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

..... If you think chess has one or more magical rules, fine! In the meantime, that's the way the game is played. I.....

When I was much younger, I met someone who was an aspiring tournament director. Somewhat surprisingly, he was of the opinion that if a game in one of his events went:

1. e4 e5 2. Bc4 Bc5 3. Qxf7 mate

he would accept that result and declare white the winner. You see, there was a rule that mate ends the game - no intervention is possible. Never mind the overriding rule that the TD is supposed to enforce the spirit and "rules" of chess. These days, that rule is written a bit differently so that the above issue is explicitly not allowed but it was not the case that the above game was possible under the rules in my youth.

Nevertheless, experienced people can get the issue wrong. Players of a certain age will remember an incident in Kapuskasing II where it was discovered after the end of the game that the "winning" player had managed it by cheating. The TD and Tournament Appeals committee declined to overturn the result on the basis the game was over. It took the National Appeals Committee to fix things.

Edidijus writes in another thread how the current regulations do not specify that WGM titleholders must be female and the FIDE rules committee is planning to fix that. Good luck trying to claim a WGM title if you are male but claiming that you qualify under the rule "today".

Leave a comment:

• Ben Daswani
    replied
    this is by far the dumbest thread on here right now. even dumber than the covid thread

Leave a comment:

• Pargat Perrer
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    From post #1, it was obvious to me who the troll was!!
    Logical fallacy is not defined as something you don't like or understand.

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru0K...timberlakeVEVO
    Then tell me, WHO was I trolling in post #1?

People seem to be getting the impression I don't like this rule. I don't think I've said that or even implied that anywhere.

I've proven it is a logical fallacy, and I'll give you Bob the same question I gave Peter: if it is not a logical fallacy, then why did FIDE need to include clause 3.9.1?

Wow, the pandemic must really be bringing out anger in people. I think I might leave this forum for good, there are too many disturbed people here.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gillanders
    replied
    From post #1, it was obvious to me who the troll was!!
    Logical fallacy is not defined as something you don't like or understand.

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru0K...timberlakeVEVO

Leave a comment:

• Pargat Perrer
    replied

Don't be calling me a troll simply because I disagree with you. If you think chess has one or more magical rules, fine! In the meantime, that's the way the game is played. If that upsets you so much, maybe you should consider a hobby that has no magical rules. If that doesn't appeal to you then maybe you should deeply research this magical rule. One day you can publish your results to international acclaim: "Canadian Chess Dude Discovers Magical Chess Rule Missed by Millions" Maybe the news coverage might include a quote from Magnus Carlsen: "Gosh. To be honest I never thought about magical rules before today."

Of course you are fine to disagree with me, but why are you going on so much to me about capturing the King when I never said that someone actually plays a capturing move of the King? It's like someone pissed in your oatmeal and you want to lash out at me in response.

Ok, so you disagree that this "Phantom Check" rule is a logical fallacy. Then please explain why clause 3.9.1 exists in the FIDE Laws of Chess? It had to be put there because otherwise people would, in that situation, logically not expect a check of the King coming from a piece that is itself pinned against its own King from a different direction.

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if even Magnus Carlsen hasn't realized the logical fallacy of the Phantom Check. Am I the first one to ever call 3.9.1 into question? I have no idea.

Leave a comment:

• Pargat Perrer
    replied
    Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

The rules of the game have not changed for ages (you might check exactly when that was and what kind). As I recall Morphy games are with current rules (maybe except those with odds), and those like many years before FIDE was created...

Rules are written to have least interpretations. You might not like them, but you are stuck with them.

Once more - a king is a special piece (and as in a real life in those days). You can give a check but you can not capture it. Kinda similar to a pin. Pins of K+N (absolute) and Q+N (not absolute -the Legal's checkmate is based on it) are very different.

I don't know the detailed history of chess, so I would like to have a discussion with a true chess historian and find out if he or she knows when FIDE's 3.9.1 was actually integrated into chess, and as you say, it could be long before FIDE, but FIDE put it into words. But maybe before FIDE's Laws of Chess, there was another written set of rules, and maybe the equivalent of 3.9.1 was there too. I don't know, I'm just wondering. It would be fascinating to find out where this rule first appeared. We know roughly when castling and en passant appeared, I'd like to know when the "Phantom Check" rule was first invented.

(Yes, I tried to think of a name for it because "3.9.1" isn't informative, so I think it should be called "Phantom Check". There is an expression for those who have lost arms or legs, "phantom limb", in which they feel like their missing limb is actually there and they can move it.)

I'm nor arguing any of your points, Egidijus, and really the only thing I don't like about this rule in particular is that it is a logical fallacy, but other than that, it doesn't affect me in any way. In my variants, I can choose not to implement it, and I will need to make a note about that, and for my reason I will argue that it is a logical fallacy which shouldn't exist.

I have shown that it is a logical fallacy, and have found that a special clause 3.9.1 was written to make it part of the rules, and it is not me who is stuck with it, it is all the people who play competitive chess, and I wonder if any of them have ever realized the logical fallacy of it so that it took a special rule to make it so.

Leave a comment:

• Peter McKillop
    replied
    Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

You can debate that with me if you like, but please stop all this trolling of stuff that doesn't address the logical fallacy.
    Don't be calling me a troll simply because I disagree with you. If you think chess has one or more magical rules, fine! In the meantime, that's the way the game is played. If that upsets you so much, maybe you should consider a hobby that has no magical rules. If that doesn't appeal to you then maybe you should deeply research this magical rule. One day you can publish your results to international acclaim: "Canadian Chess Dude Discovers Magical Chess Rule Missed by Millions" Maybe the news coverage might include a quote from Magnus Carlsen: "Gosh. To be honest I never thought about magical rules before today."

Leave a comment:

• Egidijus Zeromskis
    replied
    So I understand that they did this, what I want to know is why? It must have been part of the original FIDE rules, whenever those were first created. Why was this added?

I wonder if anyone knows????? It might be a lost piece of information in the history of chess.
    The rules of the game have not changed for ages (you might check exactly when that was and what kind). As I recall Morphy games are with current rules (maybe except those with odds), and those like many years before FIDE was created...

Rules are written to have least interpretations. You might not like them, but you are stuck with them.

Once more - a king is a special piece (and as in a real life in those days). You can give a check but you can not capture it. Kinda similar to a pin. Pins of K+N (absolute) and Q+N (not absolute -the Legal's checkmate is based on it) are very different.

Leave a comment:

• Pargat Perrer
    replied

Pieces are not equal. Thinking about checking the king as equal to "checking" a pawn is wrong. None of other pieces are "checked", they are attacked but not "checked". A check is related only to the king.

My dad and other older generation amateurs players used a word "garde" for attacking the queen. [At that time I did not know of existence of Garde wonderful chess clocks LOL

Fine, we can talk about attacks rather than checks. Rule 3.9.1 used both terms, "in check" and "attacked".

You say Thinking about checking the King as equal to "checking" a pawn is wrong. So we can change that to attacking the King versus attacking any other piece.

A Knight is attacked when an enemy piece, if the enemy had the move, can move legally to the square occupied by the Knight. If my given position, if we replace the King on h1 with a Knight on h1, the Knight is NOT attacked.

A King thus should be attacked when an enemy piece, if the enemy had the move, can move legally to the square occupied by the King. And in this case, FIDE created rule 3.9.1 to specifically mention this case that creates this magical attack on the King that doesn't exist for any other piece. In the position given, ONLY if the King is on h1 does the Queen attack h1.

So I understand that they did this, what I want to know is why? It must have been part of the original FIDE rules, whenever those were first created. Why was this added?

I wonder if anyone knows????? It might be a lost piece of information in the history of chess.

Leave a comment:

• Pargat Perrer
    replied

Rff2 (in your position) is not ambiguous, it's illegal. The white King is in check and the check must be dealt with first; it has precedence over all else. The fact that the black Queen on d5 can't physically(?) capture the white King is irrelevant. In fact, capturing a king is not allowed under the FIDE-approved laws of chess. This seems to be a sticking point for you. Maybe it is worth noting that a pinned piece (i.e. pinned to its own king) can not by itself checkmate an opposing King because the side under attack still has a legal move left, viz.: the pinning piece captures the pinned/checking piece. An exception would occur if the pinning piece was itself pinned to its own King, but, let's not get silly. Consider the following from FIDE's Handbook:
    BASIC RULES OF PLAY
    Article 1: The nature and objectives of the game of chess
    1.1 The game of chess is played between two opponents who move their pieces on a square board called a ‘chessboard’.
    1.2 The player with the light-coloured pieces (White) makes the first move, then the players move alternately, with the player with the dark-coloured pieces (Black) making the next move.
    1.3 A player is said to ‘have the move’ when his opponent’s move has been ‘made’.
    1.4 The objective of each player is to place the opponent’s king ‘under attack’ in such a way that the opponent has no legal move.
    1.4.1 The player who achieves this goal is said to have ‘checkmated’ the opponent’s king and to have won the game. Leaving one’s own king under attack, exposing one’s own king to attack and also ’capturing’ the opponent’s king is not allowed .

It seems you are just trolling, and you are missing the whole point of this thread.

If you look back at post #8 in this thread, which was one of my posts, I found the clause in the FIDE Laws of Chess and so I am not disputing whether the Queen check of the King on h1 is legal or illegal. FIDE specifically made it magically legal, although any other move of the Queen off of the d-file in that position (if it were Black to move) is illegal.

And I am also NOT saying that there is an actual capturing of the King. That would not happen because if someone as White played Rff2 or Rfd1, the opponent would claim illegal move and the arbiter would agree and the White player would have to find a legal move.

And I did not say Rff2 is ambiguous, I said Rf2 (which I originally put in post #1) is ambiguous, so I had to correct that to Rff2. Yes, I agree that Rff2 is illegal due to FIDE's magical rule.

So I am not going to argue any of those points with you, no matter how much you may troll me about them.

My point is that the CHECK of the King on h1 from a pinned Queen on d5 in this specific position is a logical fallacy, because the Queen cannot "attack" any other White piece that is not on the d-file. But the King is magically allowed to be attacked because of FIDE rule 3.9.1 as Egis pointed out.

So I am wondering how rule 3.9.1 came about, which I doubt anyone here knows anything about but I put the question out there anyway. Why did FIDE make this logical fallacy a rule of chess?

I remember recently Neil Frarey said en passant was the stupidest rule in chess, but I think 3.9.1, whatever you want to call it since it doesn't have a name, is truly the stupidest rule in chess.

You can debate that with me if you like, but please stop all this trolling of stuff that doesn't address the logical fallacy.

Leave a comment:

• Egidijus Zeromskis
    replied

I just realized that Rf2 is ambiguous, both Rooks can move to f2, but i meant the Rook on the f-file, so that the Black Queen is still pinned. This invokes 3.9.2 in the rules, BUT 3.9.1 is a special clause that was invented to override 3.9.2 in this case and makes the Queen able to capture the King on h1, but not any other White piece on h1. This means that capture of the King is the ultimate decider of games, and if one side captures the king even 1 ply ahead of the other, that player wins.

I think it is FIDE has the bad logic. Why did they invent this special clause? Why is the White King on h1 in check when no other White piece on h1, or on g2, or on f3, or on e4, would be in check?
    Pieces are not equal. Thinking about checking the king as equal to "checking" a pawn is wrong. None of other pieces are "checked", they are attacked but not "checked". A check is related only to the king.

My dad and other older generation amateurs players used a word "garde" for attacking the queen. [At that time I did not know of existence of Garde wonderful chess clocks LOL

Leave a comment:

• Peter McKillop
    replied

I just realized that Rf2 is ambiguous, both Rooks can move to f2, but i meant the Rook on the f-file, so that the Black Queen is still pinned. This invokes 3.9.2 in the rules, BUT 3.9.1 is a special clause that was invented to override 3.9.2 in this case and makes the Queen able to capture the King on h1, but not any other White piece on h1. This means that capture of the King is the ultimate decider of games, and if one side captures the king even 1 ply ahead of the other, that player wins.

I think it is FIDE has the bad logic. Why did they invent this special clause? Why is the White King on h1 in check when no other White piece on h1, or on g2, or on f3, or on e4, would be in check?
    Rff2 (in your position) is not ambiguous, it's illegal. The white King is in check and the check must be dealt with first; it has precedence over all else. The fact that the black Queen on d5 can't physically(?) capture the white King is irrelevant. In fact, capturing a king is not allowed under the FIDE-approved laws of chess. This seems to be a sticking point for you. Maybe it is worth noting that a pinned piece (i.e. pinned to its own king) can not by itself checkmate an opposing King because the side under attack still has a legal move left, viz.: the pinning piece captures the pinned/checking piece. An exception would occur if the pinning piece was itself pinned to its own King, but, let's not get silly. Consider the following from FIDE's Handbook:
    BASIC RULES OF PLAY
    Article 1: The nature and objectives of the game of chess
    1.1 The game of chess is played between two opponents who move their pieces on a square board called a ‘chessboard’.
    1.2 The player with the light-coloured pieces (White) makes the first move, then the players move alternately, with the player with the dark-coloured pieces (Black) making the next move.
    1.3 A player is said to ‘have the move’ when his opponent’s move has been ‘made’.
    1.4 The objective of each player is to place the opponent’s king ‘under attack’ in such a way that the opponent has no legal move.
    1.4.1 The player who achieves this goal is said to have ‘checkmated’ the opponent’s king and to have won the game. Leaving one’s own king under attack, exposing one’s own king to attack and also ’capturing’ the opponent’s king is not allowed .

Leave a comment:

• Pargat Perrer
    replied

Rules
    3.9.1 The king is said to be 'in check' if it is attacked by one or more of the opponent's pieces, even if such pieces are constrained from moving to the square occupied by the king because they would then leave or place their own king in check.
    3.9.2 No piece can be moved that will either expose the king of the same colour to check or leave that king in check.
    Your initial position (learn FEN)

The last moves might have been like
    0. Qd3xd5+ Qa8xd5+

The move like 1. Rf2 falls in 3.9.2.
    0.... Qxd5+ is good with 3.9.1

seems you figured that out too.

Your logic is bad. After such moves as 1. Rf2, the black queen captures the white king, and then the white army goes in dust (Rd2 disappears, and Black kings goes nuts in celebration :)

Leave a comment:

• Pargat Perrer
    replied

"Everyone?" Am I not part of "everyone?" I don't agree with your interpretation.

I can only assume that you and Fred are playing the 'hey let's pretend we're stupid and see if we can suck McKillop in' game. Who is stopping you from looking up the official rules by yourself?
    Peter, I am not trying to suck anybody into anything. You wrote about my initial post "Nothing illogical about this" so in fact it is YOU who are making assumptions about "everyone". I see it as illogical, but you decide for me that there is nothing illogical? No, thank you.

In my original position... if White plays Rff2, Black cannot play ...Qe4. Black cannot play ...Qf3. Black cannot play ...Qg2. But lo and behold, there is a King on h1, so Black can play ...Qxh1. That is illogical.

Except that FIDE in their "wisdom" decided to write a specific rule that allows this, which basically makes CAPTURE of the King the ultimate decider of games.

EDIT: I made a mistake in not specifying which White Rook moves to f2, it is the one on the f-file. So the Black Queen is still pinned. Maybe that is part of the misunderstanding.
    Last edited by Pargat Perrer; Wednesday, 10th November, 2021, 07:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X