• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zeljko Kitich
    replied
    Re: Rant of the day - Give us some room

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
    One help ( if room is sufficient ) is to stagger the tables in each row so that the players enter at an angle rather than going down a full row.

If space is available and time during the setup it is better to set up a row of tables get some one to sit in a chair moved out from table. If the floor has tiles then count 3 tiles out from the extended chair then put a chair out and then a row of tables. This should leave a min of 3 feet between chairs. So unless you have more players than space there should be lots of room between players.

Organizers really never think of space they only think of getting tables up fast.
    At Niagara Falls Open we try to give players as much room as possible but if our numbers keep growing we may have to pack the players closer.
    I've always found Niagara Falls & Guelph & Kitchener to be really good, its when my chair back touches the chair back of the person behind me even if we sit at a normal space in front of the table that it gets like this

Leave a comment:

• Zeljko Kitich
    replied

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    Straying somewhat off-topic, College Brebeuf is world-renowned in seismological studies (i.e earthquakes). When you hear a report about an earthquake in eastern Canada, reference is often made to Brebeuf. It turns out that the Jesuits are into seismology as the Mormons are into geneology.

http://www.seismosoc.org/inside/east...ES_Jesuits.php
    is that why Trudeau was such a mover & shaker :)

Leave a comment:

• John Brown
    replied

One help ( if room is sufficient ) is to stagger the tables in each row so that the players enter at an angle rather than going down a full row.

If space is available and time during the setup it is better to set up a row of tables get some one to sit in a chair moved out from table. If the floor has tiles then count 3 tiles out from the extended chair then put a chair out and then a row of tables. This should leave a min of 3 feet between chairs. So unless you have more players than space there should be lots of room between players.

Organizers really never think of space they only think of getting tables up fast.
    At Niagara Falls Open we try to give players as much room as possible but if our numbers keep growing we may have to pack the players closer.

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Brodie
    replied

Straying somewhat off-topic, College Brebeuf is world-renowned in seismological studies (i.e earthquakes). When you hear a report about an earthquake in eastern Canada, reference is often made to Brebeuf. It turns out that the Jesuits are into seismology as the Mormons are into geneology.

http://www.seismosoc.org/inside/east...ES_Jesuits.php

Leave a comment:

• Zeljko Kitich
    replied

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    Zeljko wrote:

That crash bar was a problem during the Quebec Open - good to see it solved. I guess you see why the bottom boards were near the door :-) The smokers got lots of exercise since it was 60 stairs down to the door and 60 stairs back up to the playing hall.

The corridors of the site (College Brebeuf - opened in 1928) are lined with photos of graduating classes over the years. I found such notables as Pierre Trudeau, Justin Trudeau, and Jean Coutu. There were also several plaques on the wall for chess competitions in which students/teams had placed well.

The tournament took place in part of the former chapel (some of the old pews could be found in the skittles room downstairs) - part of which has been converted to a library dedicated to the history of the Jesuits.

http://www.brebeuf.qc.ca/secondaire/...ege/historique
    (part of the former chapel is visble in the photo at the top of the page).
    it was a very elegant playing hall and facility, I spent some time just looking up at the ceiling & into the cathedral area

I ended up at the back for one game because my opponent was in a scooter and played all his games at a separate table at the back

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Brodie
    replied

Zeljko wrote:

Best new thing I've seen, taping a crash bar open so it doesn't make noise everytime someone goes in or out. Now that's well thought out. Of course the parents of players standing at the door holding it open & having discussions defeats the purpose a bit.
    That crash bar was a problem during the Quebec Open - good to see it solved. I guess you see why the bottom boards were near the door :-) The smokers got lots of exercise since it was 60 stairs down to the door and 60 stairs back up to the playing hall.

The corridors of the site (College Brebeuf - opened in 1928) are lined with photos of graduating classes over the years. I found such notables as Pierre Trudeau, Justin Trudeau, and Jean Coutu. There were also several plaques on the wall for chess competitions in which students/teams had placed well.

The tournament took place in part of the former chapel (some of the old pews could be found in the skittles room downstairs) - part of which has been converted to a library dedicated to the history of the Jesuits.

http://www.brebeuf.qc.ca/secondaire/...ege/historique
    (part of the former chapel is visble in the photo at the top of the page).

Leave a comment:

• Zeljko Kitich
    replied

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
    exactly or exactement!

Leave a comment:

• Ben Daswani
    replied

GIMME SOME ELBOW ROOM, I NEED SOME ELBOW ROOM

Leave a comment:

• Zeljko Kitich
    started a topic Rant of the day - Give us some room

Rant of the day - Give us some room

My new rant of the day. Why do tournament organizers pack us in so tight that people that want to get in & out can't help but force their way between the chairs, disturbing everyone else often & randomly.

A little planning might resolve this. Especially when there are tables not being used at the back of the tournament hall.

Also why do some people still insist on saying check or echeces in a loud voice. Are there really any tournament players out there who don't know when they are in check?

Best new thing I've seen, taping a crash bar open so it doesn't make noise everytime someone goes in or out. Now that's well thought out. Of course the parents of players standing at the door holding it open & having discussions defeats the purpose a bit.

Just call me the grouchy chess player. I think I'm spoiled by playing online so much. No noise, no chair charging, just sweet peace and quiet.
    Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Tuesday, 14th September, 2010, 10:59 PM.
Working...
X