Liberal to Conservative or Vice-Versa as Aging Takes Place?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Liberal to Conservative or Vice-Versa as Aging Takes Place?

Chess was always a mainly liberal environment. It appealed mainly to those who didn't mind paying for the benefit of the sport and the top players who represented them. A way of life for many.

You didn't get very much of the "I've got mine now get off your butt and get yours" which is a more right wing attitude.

Thinking I'm right wing or left wing based on voting pattern is not very accurate. Compared to Canada, the U.S. does not have a main line liberal party. It's degrees of right. We, on the other hand, don't really have a main line right wing party. The Conservatives seem to me to campaign on the right and govern in the center or slightly left. I don't kid myself into thinking the NDP would have allowed the post office to be closed down indefinately.

Looking at the last election, the Cons won because they did a good enough job to win re-election. The Libs lost and I think it was because of the attendance record of their leader. The NDP did so well because Quebec seemed upset with the Bloc. Results based on merit, or lack thereof, rather than policitcal philosophies. I think the results and voting pattern are refreshing.

Watch what happens to the Tax Man's party here in Ontario in about 3 months.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

William Klarner aka Billy H20 is back! And for those who didnt know he was gone, he cofounded the KW Chess Club 20 years ago and then left for Germany for about 16 years. He's much milder these days but if you get him going he still has the same old wit. (sartorial satrap - eh Jonathan? - what the heck is satrap?? - I cant find it in my thesaurus - help?!?)

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
        (sartorial satrap - eh Jonathan? - what the heck is satrap?? - I cant find it in my thesaurus - help?!?)
        sa·trap (strp, strp)
        n.
        1. A governor of a province in ancient Persia.
        2. A ruler.
        3. A subordinate bureaucrat or official: "The satraps of Capitol Hill will not sit idly by"

Just because Billy-boy went east (to Germany) doesn't make him a satrap :p

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman
          Just because Billy-boy went east (to Germany) doesn't make him a satrap
          Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
          (sartorial satrap - eh Jonathan? - what the heck is satrap?? - I cant find it in my thesaurus - help?!?)
          of the southwest. William Safire didn't get any angst for nabbing Agnew the nattering nabobs of negativism. In wegard to wings. Nice suit!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post

Watch what happens to the Tax Man's party here in Ontario in about 3 months.
            I understand the Ontario NDP are planning to campaign on lowering the hst on gas and fuel oil - a pro greenhouse gas policy. At last, a party you can support :-)

Comment

Aaah Jonathan - you never cease to amaze me with your wit! - and of course now Ive finally got it - you are referring to his outlandish costumes - it just dawned on me (not his witticisms but your witticisms). Never mind I cant keep up and Im not even going to try.

Comment

A tax policy for the masses. Like a utility with new wind farms and lots of coal fired power generation. :)
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

As I see it, the old left-right political axis doesn't apply much any more. I've grown anti-neo in the sense that neo-conservatism and neo-liberalism seem to me to be mutated degenerations of more noble historical concepts. Where do you sort truth or peace on the horizontal wings?

Another language degeneration has seen the concept of citizen replaced by the concept of tax-payer, a telling disenfranchisement, at least poetically, but not to worry, only the conservative and linguistically fastidious will notice.

I'd vote for the Anarcho-Taoists if they ran in the Ontario election. I imagine the platform would be eradicating vitamin D deficiency in Ontario, and from the top down as in Hudson's Bay south, since there is less sun up there. Of course adding I Ching and Tai Chi to the edu system would follow anon...

Comment

Interesting timing as this was just in the Toronto Star yesterday...

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/p...vative-country
                    Christopher Mallon
                    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I used to think our system, while to the left and expensive, to some degree prevented us from being a war mongering nation with dirty, crime ridden, poverty stricken big cities. I don't think that anymore. Before long our system could turn into all the classical liberals have ever wanted.

Did you notice the sale of atomic energy for what amounts to chump change?
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Privatizing profit while socializing risk is an imprudent variation.

Comment

Last edited by Ben Daswani; Wednesday, 30th January, 2013, 12:40 AM.
                          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                            the funniest version of this quote goes "if you're not a liberal when you're young, you don't have a heart; if you're not conservative when you're older, you don't have a brain".

...mistakenly attributed to churchill, but a good quote none-the-less.

Comment

Daswani, it probably is related to the self-indulgent pap you post.

Comment

This thread is sooooo mean. Why oh why must it remain posted? My heart is breaking just reading about it. To add some Green commentary: my constitution is like a delicate flower that is being bombarded by these posts which are like noxious pollutants. The result could be tragic. Oh my. Can't we all get along?

Larry, I beseech thee. Do something!
                                "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                X