Liberal to Conservative or Vice-Versa as Aging Takes Place?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonathan Berry
    replied
    Re: Liberal to Conservative or Vice-Versa as Aging Takes Place?

Not confused enough? How about this T-shirt motto:

I gave my job
    to keep the world safe
    for Chinese Communism

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan Berry
    replied

It's more complicated than it used to be, when voting patterns were inherited from generation to generation. GM Francisco Vallejo described (in Spanish) his political views as "Anarcho-Taoist", which rather amuses me, though I'm not sure I'd be exactly that. Even the labels liberal and conservative don't mean what they used to, when the liberals were Whigs and the conservatives were Tories. Among the other pertinent spectra: "how green?", "how big the commons?" and "how big the State?"

Leave a comment:

• Ken MacDonald
    replied

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
    Me too, I think, though I think also the signposts are moving. The Right seems very Right these days, to the point of being more wrong than right.

Also, being Left behind seems more attractive, now that I am no longer reaching for the top.
    One's viewpoint is everything!

If I had considered a thought like that, I would have thought that the left was very left. So, those who move right think the left is extreme and those who move left think the right is extreme. It's all in one's position on the scale, I guess! (I use the word extreme only to make a point.)

Leave a comment:

• John Coleman
    replied

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
    I have moved further to the Left with age.
    Me too, I think, though I think also the signposts are moving. The Right seems very Right these days, to the point of being more wrong than right.

Also, being Left behind seems more attractive, now that I am no longer reaching for the top.

Leave a comment:

• Ken Craft
    replied

I have moved further to the Left with age.

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan Berry
    replied

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=374518

Not that I believe it.

Leave a comment:

• Ken MacDonald
    started a topic Liberal to Conservative or Vice-Versa as Aging Takes Place?

Paul Bonham's comment elsewhere on CT made me wonder about what happens to our politics as we age. Do most people move to the left or to the right as we age? No question I have moved right, but, maybe I am not "normal" in that. (Yes! To head off the comments, many would tell me I am not normal in other respects!)
Working...
X