Chess lecture by Vishy Anand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess lecture by Vishy Anand

This lecture by World Champion Viswanathan Anand was recorded a few days after his match with Boris Gelfand. Fascinating stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSOw1Yk_RQU

Re: Chess lecture by Vishy Anand

I watched this lecture. I was intrigued by something he said about chess playing computer engines. He said around 2006-2005 the design paradigm shifted to allow the engines to `discover` the relative value of pieces (rook 5, Queen 9 etc) vs having the programmer set this as part of the evaluation function. Does anyone have more information on this, or any recent major changes in the way chess playing programs are designed. I thought this idea was always only in the realm of theory since the number of variations are too prohibitive for current technology to solve. And based on looking at a couple of open source engines I didn`t find anything to support this new method.

Comment

Re: Chess lecture by Vishy Anand

Maybe it was just a way of saying that engines programmers started giving more importance to things such as the number (and quality) of squares a piece controls.

A knight controlling 3 squares around the enemy king will probably be worth more than a rook on its original square controlling just a few squares on the queenside, for example.

I remember reading somewhere that Houdini gives more importance to such things, but I don't have the details.

Comment

Working...
      X