• Hart House Holidays Open

Hi everybody,

Hart House tournaments are back!
    Holidays Open is coming up just around the corner:

When: December 19-21
    Where: Great Hall, Hart House, University of Toronto
    Rounds: Friday 6pm, Saturday 10am & 4pm, Sunday 10am & 4pm
    Sections: Crown, U2200, U1900 & U1600
    Time Control: 120 minutes + 30 seconds increment for Crown & U2200 Sections. 90 minutes for the first 30 moves, with 60 minutes added Sudden Death for the U1900 & U1600 Sections.
    Entry Fee: $70 in advance

Registration: by cheque, by e-mail or through our online form - goo.gl/9w5LgL
    Organizer: Hyeokjun Kwon at hhchess(at)utoronto(dot)com

- all details about the tournament & registration / discounts
    - flyer for reference / download
    - parking info
    - pre-registered list

Note: Please Bring Sets & Clocks

Alex Ferreira
    Hart House Chess Club

Re: Hart House Holidays Open

I'm not familiar with the organizer, Hyiaocajun Kwon, can you introduce him to us?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post
      I'm not familiar with the organizer, Hyiaocajun Kwon, can you introduce him to us?
      Hi Hugh,
      He does not have a chesstalk account, he may soon. Either way, Hyeokjun or "Jun" as we call him, is the fellow overviewing the portfolio of the Hart House Chess Club that includes the Open Tournaments. Last year it was Adrienne Todd, I was in charge of it prior to them.

In summary, the club is organizing, Jun is the contact person you will be communicating through email for example if there are questions, and he will be there on-site spearheading the administrative aspects of the tournament. Jun actually passed by the Annex Chess Club this past Monday to drop the first batch of flyers for the Holidays Open, you may have seen him.

Hope to see everybody at the tournament!

Alex F.

Comment

I have also just been told that... our club website may take a couple more days to have all the latest updates about the tournament. The registration form is working though, and we are taking registrations. Either way, planning 5-6 weeks ahead for the tournament is always good.

Initial pre-registered list:

2394 - Ivanov, Mike
        2302 - Xu, Haizhou
        2267 - Du, Digeng
        2172 - Agbabishvili, Lali
        2039 - Ding, Jack
        1107 - Gangolli, Rahul

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
          Hi Hugh,
          He does not have a chesstalk account, he may soon. Either way, Hyeokjun or "Jun" as we call him, is the fellow overviewing the portfolio of the Hart House Chess Club that includes the Open Tournaments. Last year it was Adrienne Todd, I was in charge of it prior to them.

In summary, the club is organizing, Jun is the contact person you will be communicating through email for example if there are questions, and he will be there on-site spearheading the administrative aspects of the tournament. Jun actually passed by the Annex Chess Club this past Monday to drop the first batch of flyers for the Holidays Open, you may have seen him.

Hope to see everybody at the tournament!

Alex F.
          Awesome, thanks Alex! I look forward to playing at Hart House again, it's been a while since my last tournament there.

Comment

pop up

Website: http://vur.ca/harthousechess/portfol...en-tournament/

Comment

Any updates from the organizer ?

Any pre-registered list ?

Two weeks to go.....

Comment

Hi.

Latest update today has over 30 names, including IMs Noritsyn, Krnan, Vavrak.

http://vur.ca/harthousechess/portfol...en-tournament/

Alex Ferreira

Comment

What are the prizes out of curiosity?
                  Last edited by Andy Shaw; Sunday, 7th December, 2014, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Hi. I am not entirely sure. Obviously it will depend on turn-out. We return 70% of entry fees as prizes. Expect approximately $1000 as 1st prize in Crown Section, and that we will follow the prize distribution we have in our past tournaments.
                    Alex Ferreira

Comment

I was just checking out the pre-reg list. Did you clone Geordie, Alex?! ��

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Southam View Post
                        I was just checking out the pre-reg list. Did you clone Geordie, Alex?! ��
                        Nah we don't like him THAT much! It's possible that with the different methods of registration and updates on the website from various sources that such a glitch may occur, will probably be fixed next time.

Comment

Hi all,

Pre-reg going well with 70 players a week in advance:

Alex F.

Comment

Hi Alex. I recently registered using the google forum, but I'd like to confirm my participation here just to make sure. I'd like to commend whoever thought of that idea, it was neat and organized, nice touch.

Comment

Hi all,

124 by my very superficial quick count of the pre-registered list as of now. (Not including double entries, there are a couple of those).
                              Looking pretty promising! Maybe we'll pass 150 :-)

Alex F.

Comment

Working...
                              X