X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strongest Player Never to Become World Champion

Strongest Player Never to Become World Champion

February 17, 2016

Yesterday I got an announcement of a new book called “Rubinstein move by move” by Zenon Franco.

The first sentence in the blurb is this:

Polish grandmaster Akiba Rubinstein (1882–1961) was perhaps the strongest player who never managed to become world champion.

The same has been said about David Bronstein and Paul Keres – the strongest players to never become World Champion.

But what other candidates are there for this unofficial title?

Edward Cimia gives his list of the top ten at:

http://chess.about.com/od/famousches...ampionship.htm

The intro:

Who were the best players who, due to circumstance or an opponent they simply couldn’t overcome, never made it to the ultimate summit in chess?

The following is one possible list, though it is hardly definitive. For this list, I restricted the eligible players to those who had played during the era of the Classical World Championship (from 1886 to the present day), and did not include players who are still in the prime of their careers, or at least young enough that they could reasonably be expected to add to their legacy. Thus players like Vassily Ivanchuk and Veselin Topalov (FIDE World Championships did not count as championships for the purposes of this list) were not eligible for the list, nor were players who played before a formal World Championship system was put into place, such as Paul Morphy or Andre-Francois Philidor.

1. Viktor Korchnoi
    2. Paul Keres
    3. David Bronstein
    4. Siegbert Tarrasch
    5. Samuel Reshevsky
    6. Mikhail Chigorin
    7. Harry Nelson Pillsbury
    8. Geza Maroczy
    9. Akiba Rubinstein
    10. Miguel Najdorf

chess.com had a similar list but without any historical restrictions, prompting one reader to say

This poll confuses several categories: 1. People who never got called WC because the title had not been invented, but who were clearly the strongest of their era (Philidor, Morphy); 2. People who had a shot at the title but drew a match against the WC (Bronstein, Schlechter and in the future, Leko); 3. People who also had a shot but lost (Tarrasch, Chigorin, Korchnoi ); 4. People who never had a shot but who left a strong creative legacy (Pillsbury, Rubinstein, Keres, and in the future, Shirov and Ivanchuk).

Two additional comments: a) Keres dominated Korchnoi in head to head, and Korchnoi was too much in awe of Keres to receive the aid he offered against Karpov: b) Chigorin, Bronstein and Ivanchuk (in the future) left great creative legacies........and Rubinstein's influence on our understanding of chess is second to none!

Another reader:

As a few others have noted, no one should be on this list who was the best player of an era predating the championship--effectively, they were the champion! This includes at least Morphy and Philidor. I think the vote would be more interesting if they were considered "included" as champions and not on the list.

Other than that, it's pretty easy to make a case for Keres, Bronstein, Korchnoi, and Rubinstein as actually the best at some point or other in their life, but things just didn't line up for them.

https://www.chess.com/survey/whos-th...d-championship
    _______

I am not convinced that Maroczy and Najdorf should be on the original list but cannot think whom I would replace them with. Any suggestions?

Re: Strongest Player Never to Become World Champion

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post

I am not convinced that Maroczy and Najdorf should be on the original list but cannot think whom I would replace them with. Any suggestions?
    Nigel Short? Beat Karpov but failed to beat Kasparov in his prime. Still playing competitive chess at the ripe old age of 50+ which given today's level of intensity of competition is very special.

Comment

Wasn't Bent Larsen at least briefly ranked ahead of Fischer in the early 1970s? I seem to recall that, for that reason, Fischer was willing to play on Board 2 in one of the World vs. USSR team matches held around that time.

Otherwise, I don't know how Larsen's career compares to that of other great players who never did become world champion (at least until the present time).

I also recall it was written somewhere that when an event was going poorly for Larsen, rather than taking fewer risks, he experimented in the opening phase of later games in that event.
      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Another vote for David Bronstein, brilliant player. A draw away from becoming world champ!

http://en.chessbase.com/post/david-b...n-dies-at-82/4
        Last edited by Neil Frarey; Wednesday, 17th February, 2016, 06:37 PM.

Comment

*Re: Strongest Player Never to Become World Champion

*Originally Posted by*Wayne Komer*Strongest Player Never to Become World ChampionI am not convinced that Maroczy and Najdorf should be on the original list but cannot think whom I would replace them with. Any suggestions?

If Nigel Short deserves to be on the list then so does Reuben Fine. He would have had a decent shot at beating Alekhine in the late '30s.
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

And let's not forget Col. Moreau who bravely took an 0 for 26 hit at Monte Carlo in 1903 to avoid revealing his opening prep to Lasker. :)
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

I'd be OK with putting Shirov on the list since at one time or another the only players ahead of him were or became World Champions:
              • World #3 (behind K and K)
              • beat Kramnik to qualify for a WC match vs Kasparov (but got screwed)
              • lost to Anand in match for FIDE World Championship (Tehran, 2000)

That list at the start of your post looks like it was made 35 years ago -- right after the 2nd Karpov-Kortchnoi WC match -- since there's no one who competed at the highest level since then on it.

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post

1. Viktor Korchnoi
              2. Paul Keres
              3. David Bronstein
              4. Siegbert Tarrasch
              5. Samuel Reshevsky
              6. Mikhail Chigorin
              7. Harry Nelson Pillsbury
              8. Geza Maroczy
              9. Akiba Rubinstein
              10. Miguel Najdorf
              Maroczy & Najdorf could both be replaced by Flohr or Fine, who were (for a short time) the best players in the mid-to-late 1930s.

I think a case could be made that today's top players who haven't been WC play better chess than any of their distant predecessors (since chess is progressive). If that's right, then we could put Aronian, Caruana and Nakamura on the list, and take out the oldest candidates (Chigorin, Pillsbury, and Tarrasch). Doing so would strip this list-making exercise of its nostalgic/historical warmth, which may or may not be welcome.

Comment

Playing strength fluctuates over time so, unless a time period is specified, the question of who was the strongest player is vague and essentially meaningless. According to Jeff Sonas, these are the strongest non-world champions based on their peak ratings over different time periods:

1-year peak: Siegbert Tarrasch
                2-year peak: Harry Pillsbury
                3-year peak: Harry Pillsbury
                4-year peak: Harry Pillsbury
                5-year peak: Harry Pillsbury
                10-year peak: Vassily Ivanchuk
                15-year peak: Viktor Korchnoi
                20-year peak: Viktor Korchnoi

In my opinion, longevity is an important factor and thus I have always considered Viktor Korchnoi to be the strongest non-world champion of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
                  Playing strength fluctuates over time so, unless a time period is specified, the question of who was the strongest player is vague and essentially meaningless. According to Jeff Sonas, these are the strongest non-world champions based on their peak ratings over different time periods:

1-year peak: Siegbert Tarrasch
                  2-year peak: Harry Pillsbury
                  3-year peak: Harry Pillsbury
                  4-year peak: Harry Pillsbury
                  5-year peak: Harry Pillsbury
                  10-year peak: Vassily Ivanchuk
                  15-year peak: Viktor Korchnoi
                  20-year peak: Viktor Korchnoi

In my opinion, longevity is an important factor and thus I have always considered Viktor Korchnoi to be the strongest non-world champion of all time.
                  Thanks for the reminder about Jeff Sonas' site. As I looked through the peak rating lists I was struck by how highly placed Geza Maroczy was. For instance, using your list, Maroczy was very highly placed for all time periods up to and including ten years. He consistently finished ahead of.players like Spassky, Petrosian, Tal, Keres, Bronstein, and Reshevsky, among many others! And yet I can't think of a single English-language book about Maroczy and his career. I wonder why?

Comment

Strongest Players Never To Become World Champion

February 19, 2016

I have checked to see what books have been written about the life and games of Geza Maroczy in any language and found these:

1. Maroczy, G. ‘Maroczy’s hundert Schachpartien’/Kagan [1921]
                    2. Foldeak, Walter Arpad ‘Geza Maroczy: Leben und Lehren’/De Gruyter [1971]
                    3. Petrovic, Slavko ‘Geza Maroczy (1870-1951)’/Sahovska naklada [1973]
                    4. Szily, Jozsef ‘Maroczy Geza Elete Es Palyafutasa’/ Sport Lap- és Könyvkiadó [1957]

Nothing in English.

The only games of his I have played over were in the New York 1924 Tournament Book. There he scored 10/20 behind Lasker, Capablanca, Alekhine, Marshall and Reti and ahead of Bogolyubov, Tartakover, Yates, Edward Lasker and Janowski.

Comment

Working...
                    X