Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montreal Open Chess Championship

Montreal Open Chess Championship

You are cordially invited to the 89th edition of the Montreal Championship; an event specially organized by the Ahuntsic Chess Club to crown the 2009 Montreal Champion.

Official tournament website

In collaboration with

and the city of Montréal

2009 Montreal Open Chess Championship
    Prize Fund = $5,000
    Section A (Open) : Prize Fund = $2575
    1- $1300, 2 - $650, 3 - $325 - Class Prizes: $200, $100
    Section D <1200 $170 $85 $50 $45 $40
    Unrated Prize: $35(2)

(1) The classes will be defined before the start of the second round; dependent upon the rating distribution.
    (2) An unrated player is also eligible to win any other prize in any section, up to a limit of $100.
    A player whose rating index is 100 or more points greater than a section's limit may not play in that section. e.g., xxxx.13 may not play in Section D.

Schedule :
    Friday September 11 - late entries 17:30-18:15- Round 1 at 19:00
    Saturday September 12 - Round 2 at 10:00
    Saturday September 12 - Round 3 at 15:00
    Sunday September 13 - Round 4 at 10:00
    Sunday September 13 - Round 5 at 15:00

Entry Fees:
    Section Until Aug. 15 After Aug. 15 At the Trmt.
    A Open $50 $60 $70
    B -2000 $40 $50 $60
    C -1600 $35 $45 $55
    D -1200 $30 $40 $50
    Free for GMs, IMs and FMs. Free for Quebec Masters who confirm their participation before September 1st. If later, $30 with no additional fees.
    FQE membership required.

To register for the tournament online, click here:

(You can pay your entry by credit card or with PayPal and even renew your FQE membership)

All participants must be members of la F&#233;d&#233;ration qu&#233;b&#233;coise des &#233;checs (FQE)
    To become a member of the FQE via the internet, Click here::
    e-mail : championnatdemontreal@gmail.com

Grandmasters and other titled players who have confirmed their participation:
    Visit the tournament website to see colour photos of all the star players; both for 2009 and from previous years!!!

Championnat ouvert de Montr&#233;al

11-09-2009
    Last edited by Championnat de Montréal; Saturday, 1st August, 2009, 09:40 AM.

Re: Montreal Open Chess Championship

Please,

Can some of you tell us the addresses of Canadian Chess Forums and blogs where we could advertise our Championship?

Thanks
    Montreal Open Chess Championship team
    http://www.championnatdemontreal.mine.nu/
    championnatdemontreal@gmail.com
    Last edited by Championnat de Montréal; Friday, 12th June, 2009, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Goddesschess is giving an additionnal prize of 105$ for girls participating in sections B, C and D.

See the link to Goddesschess on our official website http://www.championnatdemontreal.mine.nu

Montreal Open Chess Championship 2009

Comment

One thing that irritates me about the "official site" - GET RID OF THE MUSIC (and other sound effects)!!! I have my speakers on listening to some quiet music, and this LOUD MUSIC comes on! I want to read the chess info without having to turn my spaekers off, and then back on again when I'm done.

It's not the only site that does this - I have complained to others as well.

Comment

We obtained a price reduction for the beautiful Hotel Park Inn in Montreal. The price is now 75$ for the room including breakfast. You can have two double beds for that price and share the room.

See : http://www.parkinn.com/montrealca_air

Here is the map to get there: Hotel Park Inn Map

On reservation, you must say that your are participating to the Montreal Open Chess Championship.
          Last edited by Championnat de Montréal; Thursday, 2nd July, 2009, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            One thing that irritates me about the "official site" - GET RID OF THE MUSIC (and other sound effects)!!! I have my speakers on listening to some quiet music, and this LOUD MUSIC comes on! I want to read the chess info without having to turn my spaekers off, and then back on again when I'm done.

It's not the only site that does this - I have complained to others as well.
            Hello,

On the Red Chess board in the upper right corner you can switch the sound off.
            www.championnatdemontreal.mine.nu

Thank you for your visit on our web site.
            Montreal Open Chess Championship team

Comment

We obtained a price reduction for the beautiful Hotel Park Inn in Montreal. The price is now 75$ for the room including breakfast. You can have two double beds for that price and share the room.
              Not to discourage people from using a recommended hotel, but note the following:

1) A car is almost a must. Although the hotel is only 15-20 minutes from the tournament site by car (assuming little/no traffic), it's a hassle by public transit. Allow an hour to get to the hotel from the bus or train station, and an hour to get from the hotel to/from the tournament site (at least one transfer is needed). There can be a lot of walking (near the hotel) if you need to get to the other side of the highway.

2) You're near the airport in an industrial wasteland. There's not much to eat within walking distance. Drive 5 minutes to the Biftheque for a good steak.

3) The tournament site is in a residential area - there is probably no accommodation within easy walking distance.

4) The tournament site is about 45 minutes from downtown by BMW (bus/metro/walk). :)

Comment

Not to discourage people from using a recommended hotel, but note the following:

1) A car is almost a must. Although the hotel is only 15-20 minutes from the tournament site by car (assuming little/no traffic), it's a hassle by public transit. Allow an hour to get to the hotel from the bus or train station, and an hour to get from the hotel to/from the tournament site (at least one transfer is needed). There can be a lot of walking (near the hotel) if you need to get to the other side of the highway.

2) You're near the airport in an industrial wasteland. There's not much to eat within walking distance. Drive 5 minutes to the Biftheque for a good steak.

3) The tournament site is in a residential area - there is probably no accommodation within easy walking distance.

4) The tournament site is about 45 minutes from downtown by BMW (bus/metro/walk). :)
                The Park Inn Hotel at 75$ per room with its beautiful swimming pool is one of the various choices from which you can pick depending on your needs.

Please refer to our website www.championnatdemontreal.mine.nu for the various Motels and Hotels. See page "Transport-Hotels".

Some are closer and some are cheaper (as low as 15$ per night in a shared room).

Can you tell us which one of our various options of the website you prefer for those using BMW?

Thanks

Park Inn Hotel Hall

Park Inn Hotel Swimming Pool

Parkin Inn Training room for Chess Players

Convenient On-site Montreal Hotel Dining: Venezia Restaurant. For lunch and dinner, Park Inn Montreal Hotel host Venezia Restaurant, conveniently located adjacent to the hotel lobby. Venezia is a popular Montreal restaurant serving authentic Italian fair in an elegant environment. Enjoy classical and traditional Italian specialties, including pasta, pizza and a varied menu from the grill.

Guests waiting to be seated can enjoy an array of specialty drinks in the hotel's relaxation area or at the Bar :

Your room for only 75$: two twin beds and breakfast

and...

additional Montreal hotel room amenities include:

Cable TV, including sports and movie channels
                Cribs available
                Coffee maker and complimentary coffee
                Complimentary morning newspaper
                Free local calls
                Hairdryer
                Handicap accessible rooms available
                High-speed Internet access for free
                Iron/ironing board
                Microwave oven
                Pets allowed
                Radio/alarm clock
                Refrigerator
                Rollaway beds available
                Telephone
                Work desk with lamp
                Adjoining rooms available
                In-room movies
                Room service (07h00 - 22H30)
                Self-controlled heating/cooling
                Viewports
                Last edited by Championnat de Montréal; Wednesday, 1st July, 2009, 05:19 PM.

Comment

On the Red Chess board in the upper right corner you can switch the sound off.
                  I can't find anything in the upper right except the word "Intro" which takes me back to the "intro" screen. (why not remove the "intro" entirely and show the links to the tournament info right away? I know someone may be wanting to show off their Internet programming skills with fancy videos - but the reader wants to see the desired info right away - without music and loud beeps.)

The Park Inn Hotel at 75$ per room with its beautiful swimming pool is one of the various choices from which you can pick depending on your needs.

Please refer to our website www.championnatdemontreal.mine.nu for the various Motels and Hotels. See page "Transport-Hotels".

Some are closer and some are cheaper (as low as 15$ per night in a shared room).

Can you tell us which one of our various options of the website you prefer for those using BMW?

Thanks
                  The two hotels/motels on Lajeunesse are only 15-20 minutes walk from the tournament site. (or a 5-10 minute bus ride). They are both near the Sauvé metro station.

Comment

Re : Montreal Open Chess Championship

Like Hugh, I don't really see the utility of the Intro....

We can't shut the noise, but only if we have good eyes :

Maybe the image is a little bit too big?

Comment

I finally found out how to cut off the sound - by moving my cursor around and clicking until the sound stopped - but if there is an icon or something there, it's too dark to show up on my screen.

Comment

Any web site that plays music at me without asking first is a site I leave at once and don't come back to.

Comment

Re: Re : Montreal Open Chess Championship

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post

Like Hugh, I don't really see the utility of the Intro....
                          The utility was to associate the beauty of the city to our Championship.

We have this year the official participation of the City of Montreal and we hope to have the Mayor's signature on the Certificates that will be given to the Montreal Champions of each section.

To see an image of each of the 4 certificates, see our website www.championnatdemontreal.mine.nu and click on "Certificate" of the English Website.

We recently added a photo presentation of Montreal on the page "Services". Do you think this would be enough to present Montreal so that we could remove the Intro movie?

Here is an image of the certificate for the Montreal Champion 2009:
                          Last edited by Championnat de Montréal; Thursday, 2nd July, 2009, 09:23 AM.

Comment

I finally found out how to cut off the sound - by moving my cursor around and clicking until the sound stopped - but if there is an icon or something there, it's too dark to show up on my screen.
                            We are sorry for the inconvenient. The problem could be caused by an old version of your adobe Flash Player. See the following link if you want to check/upgrade your version:

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
                              Any web site that plays music at me without asking first is a site I leave at once and don't come back to.
                              In his marketing plan, the Montreal Open Championship wanted kids to participate a lot more. The idea is that Kids coming to the website can play a Chess Game against our Computer Player and see if, with their playing level, they can qualify for a participation to the Championship. The music is the mood created for this situation of game that kids are used to.

But the website is only a part of our marketing work. You can follow us on Facebook.com or Twitter.com without any music! 25&#37; of the population is present on those social groups and 50% of teenagers. Nearly every kid of FQE or Chess & Math having an account on Twitter or Facebook received an invitation to become friend with Championnatdemontreal.

To follow our Tweets in English and French on Twitter day by day click on this logo:

For Facebook click on this logo:

Our blog:
                              http://championnatdemontreal.blogspot.com/

The Montreal Open Chess Championship 2009 is also present on your other favorite social groups:

MySpace,
                              Bedo,
                              Blogger,
                              Delicious,
                              Orkut,
                              Friendster,
                              Wordpress,
                              Hi5,
                              Tagged,
                              LiveSpace,
                              Piczo,
                              LiveJournal,
                              Slideshare,
                              Scribd

and many more. Check it out.
                              Last edited by Championnat de Montréal; Thursday, 2nd July, 2009, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X