FM Qiyu Zhou hanging tough at Women's Continental in Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FM Qiyu Zhou hanging tough at Women's Continental in Mexico

Our Women's Champion Qiyu Zhou currently sits at 3/5 after a loss to the top seed and 2 draws. 20 players are participating for a spot in the 2018 Women's World Championship Tournament.

http://www.chess-results.com/tnr246961.aspx?lan=1

Re: FM Qiyu Zhou hanging tough at Women's Continental in Mexico

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
    Our Women's Champion Qiyu Zhou currently sits at 3/5 after a loss to the top seed and 2 draws. 20 players are participating for a spot in the 2018 Women's World Championship Tournament.

Hi Hal:

How many WWCC places are up for grabs here, with such a small field?

Bob A

Comment

Go Qiyu!!!

Comment

Games can be followed live here:

http://mdvmexico.com.mx/CONTINENTAL2016/tfd.htm

but the hotel internet is not so reliable, and games from rd.5 were not transmitted.

Comment

Can I ask again (No answer yet from subsequent comments): How many WWCC places are up for grabs here, with such a small field of 20 from all of the Americas?

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Can I ask again (No answer yet from subsequent comments): How many WWCC places are up for grabs here, with such a small field of 20 from all of the Americas?

Bob A
            In the past there have been three, I believe, though I could be wrong and the rules may have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post

Bob A
              I believe there is only a single spot up for grabs. In the Open (Men's) there are four spots each year.
              Last edited by Fred McKim; Thursday, 10th November, 2016, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                In the past there have been three, I believe, though I could be wrong and the rules may have changed.
                Maybe Hal can answer the question as the question was really not answered. I questioned I guess would be now if the rule change occurred then how many spots or if no rule change is there 3 spots up for grab

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Einarsson View Post
                  Maybe Hal can answer the question as the question was really not answered. I questioned I guess would be now if the rule change occurred then how many spots or if no rule change is there 3 spots up for grab
                  I was basing my answer on what I remembered from the men's (or open) side when Anton had to finish in the top 3 to qualify (and did so) which I wrongly assumed applied on the women's side as well.

Comment

FINAL STANDING

Qiyu Zhou tied for 5th. Congratulations for a great performance with 5 out of 9 points. Could be better if she wins the last round to end up tied for 2nd.

http://www.chess-results.com/tnr2469...1&art=4&wi=821

Comment

An excellent showing for our young star! Especially after she had a very difficult Baku Olympiad. For a player of her age, it's great she is getting experience at the top levels with these two tournaments! Better performance and increased confidence are likely to follow soon! :)

Comment

She is the youngest player in top 10 at this tournament. We are looking forward for many more years of great chess. Great job Qiyu. ;)

Comment

As our Zonal Champion, Qiyu is already qualified for the current cycle. The WWC tournament will take place in Iran. The Continental championships seed players into the next WWC in Khanty Mansiysk. Typically 2 Continental championships are held in each cycle. Per the current the regulations Europe qualifies a total of 28, Americas 8, Asia 12, Africa 3. So 4 spots were at stake in Mexico. Qiyu was thus disappointed with her 5th place finish.

Comment

As our Zonal Champion, Qiyu is already qualified for the current cycle. The WWC tournament will take place in Iran. The Continental championships seed players into the next WWC in Khanty Mansiysk. Typically 2 Continental championships are held in each cycle. Per the current the regulations Europe qualifies a total of 28, Americas 8, Asia 12, Africa 3. So 4 spots were at stake in Mexico. Qiyu was thus disappointed with her 5th place finish.
                            Hal. I think 8 is the total including the Zonal qualifiers

Comment

Ughh! You are right Fred. According to the regulations, the 5 zones in FIDE America actually qualify 7 women to the WWC tournament. Leaving only 1 (!) spot from the Continental. This regulation has been changed for the next cycle. The US lost one of its 3 zonal spots in order to make room for one more spot in the Continental, thereby allowing for an annual Women's Continental with one qualifier per event. Therefore the 2017 Women's Continental will qualify another player to the Women's WC in Khanty Mansiysk. whew!

The men's/open cycle, leading to the World Cup, gives 20 spots to FIDE America. 12 of these spots come from zonals and the remaining 8 come from the continental championships. These events are annual and qualify 4 players per tournament.
                              Last edited by Hal Bond; Friday, 18th November, 2016, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X